Is the Blacknight sweet spot trainer any good? Will it help?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by pluto5963, Oct 9, 2015.

1. pluto5963

pluto5963 Regular Member

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The idea is interesting. The small head will give you very obvious feedback on whether you are able to hit a bird on a small surface on a consistent basis.

If you find yourself hitting the rim or having bad control then it sounds like it's worth a shot.
    But your coach is the important one to ask. He/she may be one of those who hates 'gimmicks' and may refuse train you with it.

If you do get it, please report back on how it goes. :)

3. phili

phili Regular Member

The problem with this that the smaller head will result in a totally different feel of the swing. So you can only use it for a short amount of time before it messes up your hitting motion.

4. jamesjjj

jamesjjj Regular Member

agree with phili
    So you train with this and you master hitting the sweet spot with this small head light racket. Then you go back to your main racket which have a different timing/swing so you re-train again to hitting the sweet spot. Might as well just focus on your main racket.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't agree this is a big issue. You see many amateur players carry two different model racquets in their bag as a back up. You use it as an aid to get the correct feel. That doesn't mean using it 50% of the training time. I would think the weight and balance are bigger factors.

This is training aid as opposed to a regular racquet. Same principle as having a heavier 130gram training racquet.

I have never used one of these but it would be quite interesting to try out.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Wouldn't having higher tensions achieve a similar effect by reducing the sweetspot?

And anyways there are already a few mainstream compact frame rackets, like JS10, TK9900, ZF2 etc.

7. phili

phili Regular Member

I just wanted to warn him not to overuse it if he buys this thing. There is absolutely no problem doing a drill with the sweet spot trainer but after that you probably should do the same drill with your regular racket.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

True. But with a smaller frame, you would get instant visual and tactile feedback of a weong shot (I.e. frame shot). You wouldn't get that with a tighter strings.

9. fjb2378

fjb2378 New Member

Sports Therapist/ Varsity Badminton Assistant Coac
    From a coaching point of view, it does help, the idea behind the racket is to promote consistency with contact. the small head in when placed with a full sized racket would show you the reason why it was created.

I coach at a college and have found that players who have a tendency to mis-hit and make bad contact while playing makes it helpful to have as a tool in the bag. The players who I've had used it over time have grown consistent in making proper contact with such a smaller racket head that it does show in their development. Not as many mis-hits but improved as far as making proper hitting contact.

To some it may look like a gimmick but the reasoning behind its creation makes a lot of sense. BK have a good reputation behind their training tools and I personally think that it's a good tool to have in the bag.

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Heavy training racket? Sweet spot trainer? Just get a ZF II or Z Speed :D

Two birds one stone.

11. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I too help coach at a local college. I've demo'd this racket a few times and found it very useful tool for teaching consistency. The concerns about the weight distribution and timing issues didn't take long for me to adjust. The racket felt more 3U/4U to me and when you hit your smashes with this racket it actually is quite powerful.

I didn't have much issue with clears and smashes and some drives, but moreso with slices. I felt it was like hitting with an Oval frame (I previously used Carbonex 30MS and 50s before switching to Victor JJS).

Like others said..if you want a racket that rewards you for consistency and punishes you if you don't...i think a good ole Carbonex would be the best training tool, otherwise i would definitely recommend the Sweet Spot Trainer.. I would gear this racket for more intermediate players so that they refine their consistency to get to that advanced level. For beginners, a regular racket should do since they need to get their technique right first.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Carbonex 20 old version are the best!!!

But seriously, I would be interested in using one. Things like slices and netshots would be more difficult as those shots are hit slightly off centre.

13. pluto5963

pluto5963 Regular Member

what's so special about the carbonex? Since it's older I would assume it's heavier but how does it help with the contact aspect? Sorry I'm still new to training racquets. Thanks

14. pluto5963

pluto5963 Regular Member

what's so special about the carbonex? Since it's older I would assume it's heavier but how does it help with the contact aspect? Sorry I'm still new to training racquets. Thanks

15. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Its an oval headed racket. I guess im dating my age. Old tech and have small sweet spots unlike isometric heads.

They are not training rackets literally but would make good ones since the younger generation probably have never used them.

16. xeoreg

xeoreg Regular Member

Does anybody know if this racket can be restrung, and what the factory tension might be? Would it take 20lbs?