How to use wrist

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bimetallica, Oct 10, 2015.

1. bimetallica

bimetallica Regular Member

How to use wrist to generate power in shots such as pushes, drives etc. How to get the same effect as professional players where they are able to hit a compact shot with their wrist and stop the racket after hitting without injuring the wrist.

Ty

2. visor

visor Regular Member

3 things:

1. Grip tightening
    2. Forearm supination / pronation
    3. Timing

3. phili

phili Regular Member

They are not using their wrist as much. They generate the power mostly by having a loose grip before the shot but as they proceed to hit the shuttle they tighten their grip. With a little bit of arm extension you get some nice power without having to swing your racket much.

4. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    ....and sometime without the back swing.

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    When people say wrist, they usually mean the forearm, not the wrist joint. If you're trying to create power purely from the wrist joint, you'll probably struggle.

I tend to find upper arm and wrist are useful for positioning. Fingers and forearm are better for generating power.

The squeeze takes... quite a while to get used to, honestly the hardest part about a swing in my opinion. It's a practise practise practise thing.

Lots of beginners and intermediates don't get on with it and don't like doing it, at least the ones I've met.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    They are using the fingers a lot. However, it is very difficult to see as it is a small movement with the fingers (and timing of striking the shuttle) that creates the power.

7. phili

phili Regular Member

A few weeks ago I was talking to buddy about this. In my mind I was like how are you not getting the part with tightening your grip instead of using a big swing. After that I tried it with my left arm (I'm a right-handed player) and had some kind of epiphany. It really is a unatural movement which really takes time to get used to.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I do it like the Chinese women's singles player, where they release pretty much everything but their little finger from the grip. I can't do it to that extent on my left hand, because I don't have the grip to do it, I end up with the racket moving or I miss-time it.

Unfortunately this is kind of a deep-end thing; you just have to practise until you swim with it, and until you can, it's gonna be rough.

The amount of power you get out of the technique is incredible though

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

They only hold the racket with their little finger? Wow, I have never tried this. Do you have a video at hand where you can see one of the chinese players doing this more in detail?

10. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I search for li xueri and wang yihan on google image as they're about to hit the shuttle but I'm not seeing what you're describing here. Is it very subtle and hard to see?

11. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Mmm I can't find one at hand. It's where you use the like pad at the base of the little finger, and the pad at the base of the index finger as your main contact points for the racket. As the racket comes up you squeeze, bring the full wrist and forearm into effect. This motion is only really useful in the rear court where you have time to prepare the shot, like a high lift. Drives, blocks etc. still use the normal grip.

Because of the pace of their rallies and the angle, badminton is shot at, I've only really seen it in detail in some of their highlight reels at the end.

If I'm winding up for a swing, I open my hand up like this, and squeeze as I swing through.
    IMG_0504.jpg

I've got a lot of muscle between my thumb/index finger and on the outside edge of my hand as a result.

Again, it's not every shot. Obviously this method wouldn't work particularly well for drop shots, drives/pushes, but it's more for baseline to baseline clears and smashes. It generates a lot of strength because your arm isn't tensed at all as you start the swing, and then as you approach the apex (where you'd normally throw the racket if you weren't careful) you tighten everything.

I can't do this on my left, at the moment. I don't have that sort of, clasp on the racket with just the three main points. This would mean my racket would move out of position as I swing through, it could turn and change facing.

What I'm doing here is quite an exaggerated form of what many of the pros do, but it's not often you see a pro need to do it for a clear or what have you. They might just have a more masterful form of this. But I find this fully open palm, relaxed style generates the most explosive movement.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So I tried to use this technique yesterday during training. And I have to say that if you manage the correct timing of the squeeze, the results are awesome! On the downside the results are horrible if you don't get the timing right and you tighten your grip too late - I fired some meteor-shuttles all over the place. :eek:

I think I will spend some more time in practising this during the next sessions and see if I can build up some consistency.

13. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Yes. Only difference is, that I try to hold the racket mostly with the little finger before squeezing the handle on impact. Opening up the hand completely as seen in Charlie's picture gives me the creeps that my poor JS10 will be flying across the gym the next moment.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I don't blame you hehe, it takes a lot of practise, and then you need to understand which shots you can use it on and which you can't. Realistically, your grip should be such that if you point your racket towards the floor, even with that open grip, it won't fall out of your hand.

But yes as you said, sometimes you get amazingly powerful results, if you mistime it, it's punishing. It's why I only use it for power in shots I'm a good position to take, such as obvious smash opportunities.

A plus side is, this can be amazing for disguise too. It gives you a lot of opportunity to change your racket facing, to say, play a straight instead of a cross clear. You can change the direction of your shot just based on the timing of the squeeze.

The thinnest grip you can realistically use also helps. That picture was taken on my 'other racket', my normal racket has a KS2 grip and only one overgrip on it - but I have very small hands anyway. The smallest grip you can use will maximize the amount of power generated. The wrong grip size with this technique will either: a) too small - completely remove control from the shot b) too big - make the exercise pointless because you won't have the 'clutch' of the hand working properly.

Enjoy the extra power in your shots ;)

16. visor

visor Regular Member

17. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Thanks for the vid [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION] :)

18. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    And I see you have a reel of ZM62 there unwanted because you are using a reel of ZM62F. :rolleyes:

19. Diamondx1

Diamondx1 Regular Member

School
    Perhaps I am little confused on this but how do people like Fu Hai Feng generate enormous amounts of power considering he has a huge swing?

20. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The swing add to the speed of the racquet. The wrist and the arm swing are not exclusive one another, they add up