Playing Badminton with Family.......

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Pak Hou, May 19, 2004.

1. Pak Hou

Pak Hou Regular Member

Student
    Hello there people just wandering does anyone else hate playing badminton with their older/ younger, sisters/ brothers in badminton or just any sport. I just came back playing badminto nwith my brother and we just dont get on!

Does anyone else have these problems or am I just strange....

Reply ANYONE!

2. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe...i play with my dad and mum....we are fine. sometimes any of us might have off-days...but that's just normal...if professionals can't stay at their peak all year round...neither can i :D

you play with your brother? older/younger? what's the problem?

3. Pak Hou

Pak Hou Regular Member

Student
    Ararhaha!

Yeah I play with my older brother I just cant stand playing with him he just bitches about teh way I play but the funny thing is no one else does

That just demoralises me so I cant be bothered to play with him, it s just so annyoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate so Im trying to look for a club so I can play away from him even though I played at the club first.

So you dont have any problems at all ur so lucky

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hehe...my dad does "point out" things about my style of play.....and i have to say most of it is correct...ie...i'm too lazy to get into right positioning even though i have time, i smash by arching my back back (lol) instead of a sideways rotation, i don't bother to get ready to intercept net rushes after serving.....all stuff i should do better with.

i guess if he just bitches about you, then that's just annoying...but do remember to take in the useful pointers.

do you just play with him? or other friends....in school?
    clubs are good...they usually don't bitch too much...esp if your better than them...although you'll still have to "point out" things to yourself.

hehe....although i'm still smashing wrong, i have improved a little on the other things :)

5. Pak Hou

Pak Hou Regular Member

Student
    I just play at a Non League Club currently Im hoping to play for a club soon though, but the mistakes I make are little mistakes like smashing the net but when he does it its the REALLY OBVIOUS mistakes like smashing a shuttle cock even though its going out or smashing it foward when its half way below the net............. ARHAH just gets me peed off talking about it :mad:

But hwne I play with my mates its fine they dont bitch and complain, how about u? Do ur friends complain about ur style of play?

6. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hehe - i reckon i've got this one covered - my entire family play - my mum, dad and both my two little brothers.. - we all play for the same club - in teams throughout - me and mum playin the same team together (which i don't like, but i deal with) my brother is in the team below (where he belongs) and my dad in the team above (where i belong :D)

the bitchin and fightin is just sibling rivalry - it's when ur competin for team places and age and experience are put against energy and fitness (me vs dad) currently there is some serious tension in our house after club nights because of my determination to get his team place - i started training properly this last year, with an hours regular coaching, two nights practice minimum and 2 gym sessions a week.

playing with your family is not a good idea if your evenly matched and competing for prizes / team positions because emotions get in the way.

take it easy all

Neil

7. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    hehe, I think it's always more troublesome to play with family than with friends. The difference being family is always at your throat about something, and hey, why not make it baddy? :D

8. shewlett

shewlett Regular Member

I play with my wife several times a week and it works out fine. In fact, I only play with my wife ... it is good exercise for us and a good way to spend time together. :)

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I play with my mum and dad, and my mum's carer (who lives with us). It's extremely rewarding for me to get my mum back into badminton after 4+ years of absence from court due to her disability (until recently, she couldn't even THINK about playing sport). Clearly the "games" are not even remotely challenging for me, but it's still very enjoyable for other reasons :)

It's great to see the effect that my coaching can have on my mum especially; I'm now thinking about starting a badminton club for disabled people at her rehabilitation hospital.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Blood runs thicker than water...

Heh! Agreed with Coops... it's just plain old sibling rivalry. Good thing my younger brother don't play badminton. My hands would have been on his throat in a sec if he did... either playing with or against him:D. I think the same goes for why some couples just couldn't play together too, bad blood tends to spill easily onto competitive arena even though "it's just a game".

11. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    I find it somewhat problematic to play with my sister..

Before our membership at Lee's expired, we played on the weekends..

For pretty much the whole year she wasn't good, and so i ended up telling her what to do whenever we played. But ever since badminton season started, she got much better...however that was like 2 weeks before our membership ended. The last time we played at Lee's her partner came too. As it turns out...me partnering with anyone can beat her and her partner, even though her partner was pretty good. Towards the end...me and my sister played against other ppl..it just doesn't work. I ended up trying to go for too many of the shots..it's like her reaction was way too slow to do anything, and she doesn't run around the court. I guess I'll never have the chance to beat other ppl at Lee's with my sister as my partner :p

#11 TheGr8One, May 19, 2004
    Last edited: May 19, 2004
  12. Z1985

Z1985 Regular Member

slack
    I play with my brother(s) all week round and with my parents every Saturday. I have many cousins and uncles and aunties who are professionals in badminton. comparing to them. i am really just a newbie. My parents have tonnes of badminton throphies, my younger brother plays in U18 competition and got to top 16 last yr. this yr he met his buddy as 1st opponent and lost.. well. we don't really get along at 1st as he look down on me i guess. haha. in fact. My father restrict me from joining clubs cause he say i am not good. But i find it makes me more determined to proved them wrong.. i camp in the badminton court after lesson and look out for challengers and make friends with them. now i got a whole bunch of playing partners and i improve alot i guess. my bro no longer bitches around but instead tell me my errors.(eg. i am too slow, inconsistence & stuffs) and compliment me when i played well. Now i play for consituency club.. as 1st singles/double.
    my bro played at a much higher club though, as a reserve.:p

13. Z1985

Z1985 Regular Member

slack
    forgot to mention that my youngest bro is in the same club as me.. haha. he's just 13 and isn't much of a threat to me. no problem winning him 15-0, 15-0 i guess. haha. But we don't train together because he's with the junior group but just occasionally partner him for doubles. i always scold him.:p

14. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

My sister and I both play for the same club, and we get on fine when we play doubles or mixed with/against each other.
    The only problem comes when we play singles - she hits every(and i mean every) shot onto my backhand(which is non-existent) straight off of a serve, the only chance i get is when she serves. I know she wants to win, but i would rather play a proper game with her once and for all to see who's the best of us.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Funny, I thought you guys were playing the proper game the whole time... hitting to the backhand is a legitimate tactic:D.

16. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hehe - sounds like she's got you figured out.. your lucky she doesn't serve to your backhand as well - then what would you do ? :D

17. krayon

krayon Regular Member

I play badminton with my younger bro and we can never win any double games, because we yell at each other so much. Well mainly me yelling at him and him getting pissed and not talking to me. The best is when i tell him nice try and he gets so pissed and says he sucks. Is it just me or do you older bros fear your younger bro getting better than you? That's probably my worst fear in badminton.

18. Pak Hou

Pak Hou Regular Member

Student
    I get what you mean EXACTLY, my older brother I cannot I mean cannot stand even though even if we play against a average pair of peolpe and I KNOW we could beat them we still lose due to the fact he picks about the little things I do :mad: which pisses me off to say ;)