Eva --> crazy journalist :D

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Chesire Cat, May 21, 2004.

1. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    Hello everyone

I just want to introduce myself here. Thought I should do it properly although I have posted several messages here..thanks to the great-super moderator *waves to kwun*

My name is Eva C. Komandjaja and I grin a lot like a chesire cat...:D :D naaah just kidding LOL I am working for an english newspaper in Indonesia called The Jakarta Post (probably some of you have heard about it before) and I just became sports journalist several weeks ago.

It was really crazy cos I didn't know much about sports (I was a business journalist, national/politic journalist, a city journalist and now ready to try my best at sports desk) yet I was assigned to cover such a big event like Thomas and Uber Cups 2004.

Needless to say that I am very grateful for the experience, it was totally awesome!! I got to meet all the badminton players that I usually saw on Tv and got to know better some of them. I feel really lucky with such a huge experience.

It was very funny at the beginning because I was really new and I didn't know most of the badminton players LOL I always laughed when I recalled my first experience watching the danish team practiced at Asia-Africa badminton hall and I was really confused to tell which one is this guy and which one is that guy. All looked the same and I didn't know their names LOL Really stupid! LOL but the team manager helped me with the names and all of sudden...during the ten days I started to get to know them better.

Anyway..there are some worst experience (like trying to interview chinese team manager li yong bo *arrrghhh* and great experience like getting to know cute players such as nathan robertson *wink-wink* and friendly players such as danish players, including jonas *salute to jonas* LOL

Jonas...I have washed your tshirt you gave me, twice! HAHA

Being a journalist is the greatest experience in the world, apart from playing badminton i guess LOL, and I get to know so many people I would never imagine in my whole life.

I'll move to denmark late this year or early next year because I want to study in DTU and get closer to my fiancee (did i spell it right? LOL) but hopefully I will still work part time for The Jakarta Post as a journalist and I'll still be writing about badminton in denmark.

Err..this has become a long email LOL (actually I wanted to make a short introduction but I lost control and ended up this long LOL)

OK I better go and I am looking forward to talking to you all the member of this forum in the upcoming threads LOL

See ya!

Eva

2. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

Hi! seems like you have a lot of fun during the tc/uc.U get to meet the shuttlers in person while i could only watch them though my TV screen..Hahahah..:D

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Ah, such a lovely lady and already been claimed by another:(! *sigh*:rolleyes:.

Heh! Welcome aboard, Eva:)!!!

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    What were you thinking , cappy? :rolleyes: :D

Yeah!! Welcome!!
    (JR is probably gonna laugh when he saw your post!)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Just teasing her abit;).

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Hi Eva!

Welcome to the community!

Also congratulations on your new posting!!!

That is very cool, and sounds so exciting too!! :D

Hmm... fiancee??

You're the journalist... you should know better than us how to spell LOL

And yes it is correct :p

Anyhow, looking forward to reading more of your work, and hearing your input.

See you around :D

7. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    one more thing...

You think your intro was long???

You should see some of the posts I have written LOL :eek:

Kwun invoices me every month to keep this site running because of the wastage of space I cause :D

8. Chesire Cat

heeeeeeeey everyone *wink-wink*

thanks for such warm welcome from you guys :D
    this is a great forum indeed..thanks jonas for letting me know this site! *waves to jonas*

sdk msn : yeah i was really lucky that i got so close with all those badminton players - i practically "stalked" them everyday during practice and during matches (go ask flemming wiberg and he'll shudder when he hears my name cos i am always around him hahahaha asking him about this and that)

cappy : sorry man! LOL i am already engaged haha..yeah i know you were just kidding LOL yeah i think my fiancee should feel really lucky huh? :p

bluejeff : heeeey *waves to bluejeff* nice to know you!! :D *innocent look*

kelvin : thanks!!!! you sounds like a real cool guy and hope we talk more in this forum :)

ok guys..and girls..(maybe) have to go now and talk to you later

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Great to know you had a good experience during the Tc/Uc and getting to know more about the game. Just a question , why do you need to wash JR's shirt twice? So lucky you to have Jr's shirt.

10. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

Welcome to BF, Eva!!! I'm jealous you get to see all the great players! :p

11. Chesire Cat

deadline and shirt

hello ants and kitty and others :D

hey! thanks for the welcome! :D
    about why i had to wash jonas' shirt twice..is because..he gave it to me just after the final and it was sweat-drenched. so wet you couldn't imagine hahahaha *lmao* needless to say how the smell was *ducks from jonas' killing stare* LOL

my friends were like "errr...put that away in a plastic bag" LOL
    so now you know why i had to wash it twice LOL

and the funniest thing was because i didn't carry any other bag except my notebook computer bag when i got the shirt. i didn't dare to carry it around in fear that someone might snatch it away LOL so i stuffed the wet shirt into my notebook bag and hoping that my notebook would be okay hahaha:p

and yeah it was great that i got to see them (the badminton players) up close and personal (err..that comes from a movie title, right? *scratches head*)
    but the bad thing was that i had to work around 15-16 hours a day *rolls eyes* and it was really tiring.

i had to write like 2-3 articles a day in a very short time...especially during semifinals and finals where i always brought my notebook computer to the court cos there was no enough time to run back to media center and typed the whole thing cos the game ended like at 1-2am in the morning and my newspaper deadline was supposed to be in midnight? LOL

luckily there was this wi-fi connection around the stadium so i didn't have to go back to media center to send the articles.

my editor kept telling me to hurry with the story (and yeah..i am indonesian, english is not my native language - i started learning english like err umm five or four years ago? - and you know how difficult it is to write a story in a language - not your native language - and you have to hurry with it LOL)

when my editor kept calling me and told me to hurry, i was like "WHAT DO YOU EXPECT??? THE GAME IS STILL ON, DO YOU WANT ME TO PREDICT THE RESULT OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?" hahahaha it was really funny and also nerve-wrecking LOL

all the badminton players never really care about the deadline don't they? LOL (it's part of the organizing committee's fault to schedule the game in such late hours for us - the journalists) they just keep on playing without knowing that it's already passing the deadline LOL

believe me...the TC/UC experience was not only fun..but almost gave me a heart attack everyday LOL

ok it seems that i can't write short, can i? LOL

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Began learning English four or five years ago, serious? Your writings don't look like that at all. If you didn't say, I wouldn't have known, and probably more than half of us in BF won't too. ;)

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i agree. that's amazing. if i were to learn any language and be able to write like that in 4-5 years, i will be so happy. i mean, i have learned and spoken English for more than 20yrs, and i still cannot write as well as Eva.

and Eva, those are interesting stories! i do remember the flood of articles from you during the TC/UC. but on the receiving side, we never realized the amount of work required to write 2-3 articles a day. not only the time it takes for the writing, but also the time it takes for gathering the material. now it really makes me appreciate the effort. otherwise, badminton fans like us will be left out in the dark!

14. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

hheeeyyy..im a girl heerrreee... :(
    seems like you cant write short because you're used to write long articles.kekeke..

*sigh..at least your english is better than mine...i started learning english around 11 years ago but my english is no better than a 6th grade kid *sob
    and that's because i always hate composition..Hahahahahah..
    oh well..happy postin !!
    could u post your pic and your fiancee!???im curious !:D :D

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Welcome to the BF Eva. It's amazing that you were able to make the transition from reporting finance and politic into sports with ease and to grasp the english language in 4-5 years time span. I'm visualizing you having a 'big' head, :p hehehe. Like Kwun, I'm still mastering the english language after decades of living in Canada. I think I'm proficient in saying and writing 'LOL' though.

Yah, I think the IBF could better organize the TC/UC event to avoid these crazy late nighters.

#15 cooler, May 22, 2004
    Last edited: May 23, 2004
  16. Chesire Cat

english?

hello kwun and wilfredgf

actually i never took any english course in my entire life LOL that's why my grammar is a bit sux LOL cos i never learn the language in a formal way (except in high school and you know how boring it is to learn language in school - you have to memorize bunch of words and other grammatical rules like that *rolls eyes*)

maybe because i like to read books a lot..and i probably got struck by lightning (the "english" lightning i would say LOL) and when i woke up in the morning i suddenly knew how to speak english (err..that scene comes from spiderman the movie, right? LOL)

and yeah...we worked pretty hard back then (there were three of us, me and my two friends zakki hakim and novan - probably you recognise the names LOL) but right now we feel that we were not doing enough. we should be able to write more articles *sigh* yeah maybe next time LOL

i usually chased badminton players in the morning (err..not actually chasing - that sounds scary LOL but come to think about it again..err..*scratches chin* yep..i did chase them LOL for stories, comments whatever) and went back to media center to write previews, profiles and other kind of timeless articles..whatever *rolls eyes* and i had to write results of the game at night.

i went back to hotel (yes we did stay at the hotel so we didn't have to go back to the office) around 3-4am in the morning, got some sleep for couple of hours before started the 'routinity' all over again *sigh* LOL

aside from the badminton games, it was really fun to get to know other journalists from allover the world...including the famous raphael LOL i didn't know that he was THAT famous LOL and at day 10, when it was over, we said goodbye and promised that we would meet again in japan two years from now.
    *sigh* *sobs* it's really sad huh? LOL

PS: right now i have to begin learning danish language*ARRRGHHH* LOL

talk to you later

17. Chesire Cat

:p

hello!

sdk-msn :
    i kinda predicted that you are a girl but didn't dare to say it LOL just in case that you're probably a guy LOL
    don't worry about your english, just keep on learning, if you're too lazy to take an english course, do it yourself by reading lots of books :) and probably you should subscribe to my newspaper HAHAHA nah i am just kidding

pic of me and my fiancee? :D err..*shy look* do you really want to see that? HEHE probably in private message ok?

cooler :
    yep! crazy transition! believe me...people at my office must have been really crazy in sending me to sports desk...really! LOL but we're - the new journalists - must learn to adapt quickly in any kind of assignment. i believe that's one of their purpose in sending us to different desks every two months. i personally feel that it's difficult writing for sports desk cos sports articles require different kind of english vocabulary - you know..sports vocabulary - and i am still struggling to master those words.

keep your fingers crossed for me

18. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    Badminton journalists

Hi Eva,

welcome to the badminton forum! Great forum, can be very beneficial source for journalists too hehehe! :D
    Anyway, nice that you are writing for the Jakarta Post!

Since when are you writing about badminton? TUC your first big assignment or did I miss articles?

Quite a critical article from the Jakarta Post today about the PBSI!

I also learned this year how tough it can be to report for badminton tournaments!

How was it to interview Li Yongbo (not the team manager but the head coach)?? ;)

Did you also get to talk to any Dutch players like the one with the lovely name 'Eva'? :) Her last name is 'Krab' and she's also a member of this forum! Where does the 'Chesire Cat' nickname come from anyway???

Cheers

- Mark. / the Netherlands

#18 Zax, May 23, 2004
  19. Chesire Cat

hey zax

hey mark

thanks for the welcome

i became a sports journalist just around one month ago, i have been working for the jakarta post for almost a year but as other journalists..like i have told everyone here before. i started as a business journalist, then moved as a political journalist then i became a city/metro journalist and now i ended up as a sport journalist. it's kinda part of a training program that my office has.

i have always loved badminton but never really play the sports before but i have been watching it on tv since i was kids or something like that LOL and yes TCUC was my first big assignment at the sports desk.

aside from badminton i really love football LOL

yes it was a quite harsh criticism for PBSI, in fact not only my newspaper but almost all newspapers here were criticizing PBSI for not doing well in training young shuttlers. probably you know that we used to have a very strong team and former gold medalist and world's number one susi susanti and alan budikusuma. we wanted PBSI to create other shuttlers with the same achievement like both of them but obviously PBSI is failing in the task.

you probably want to read opinion articles that appeared on my newspaper on saturday..criticizing the PBSI. check out my newspaper website www.thejakartapost.com

about interviewing li yongbo...argh! *faints* LOL you don't know how difficult it is..probably he even look down on me cos i am a chinese who can't speak chinese LOL

and yes i do know eva krab but didn't have much chance to talk to her LOL i mostly talked to her coach LOL martijn van dooremalen LOL

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    #20 cooler, May 23, 2004