What do I do?

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by F-Man, May 22, 2004.

1. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Hey Thomas, I was wondering if you could help to enlighten me on a problem that I encounter every time that I play doubles. Although I am forced to play singles, doubles is what I really love, both level doubles and mixed. However, when I play level doubles, my opponents always spend the entire duration of the match pressurising my partner, i.e. they hit the shuttle to him all the time. This means that I tend to find myself in a situation where if the shuttle comes to me, then I must take the opportunity to hit a winner, otherwise my partner will get too tired. In your expert opinion, what suggestions can you offer me that will allow me to get more involved when I play level doubles?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    That's an isolation tactic, legitimate move in competitive tournaments but darn annoying tactic in recreational settings:(. If you search harder, there are threads in other forums addressing this particular issue.

3. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Yes, but I am just curious specifically as to what Thomas would do.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    If your partner is being targeted specifically - have you tried cutting off shots which are forcing him to the back or midcourt? Or if he is stuck at the back just shout switch and you go to the back whilst he hits a clear to give you time to move around (rotational system)! If he is being brought into the front then he has to learn to hold his own or keep just a little bit back so it gives a chance for you to come in and again rotate!

The only problem with this is that your partner may feel even more out of their depth because you are trying to intercept their shots, have you tried getting some tactical drills organised with your partner or maybe coaching to overcome this?

Or it may just be that your partner in your opinion can't hold his own and you'd be better with someone nearer your own level so you have more of a chance against better pairs. Whilst there are weakness' in a team the opposition are right to target and even exploit it for their full advantage, sometimes this will mean getting hit at the same way for an entire game.

As you move up the ranks you will notice that established pairs either have little or no weakness' or they play in a manner that one compliments another and any failings are countered against by the playing style.

5. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi F-man

Well its a very difficult question, but i agree on some of that Dill are saying. I agree on you must have a rotational system with your partner, but that is also difficult and it takes some good players to do it right. A good rule is that when the lift from your opponents is to short you automaticly rotate, so the one who smashes goes forward and the one at the net goes "out" in the other side as the one who smashes. Take a look at Jonas and Lars they do it all the time, so it is almost impossible to play at only Jonas for excample. But as i said it takes some good players to do that, so maybe Dill is right about you must find a partner who is more at your level, because there must be a reason why your oppenents only play to him.

The thing about shouting i dont like that much, i think it must happen automaticly between you and your partner othervise practice and practice... You can practice it by playing doubles agianst a double who always is deffensive and you is attacking, and then try those moves between each other. When you have won 5 rallies then switch so you can pratise your deffensive as well.

I hope thats enough of a question, othervise just ask again.

Thomas

6. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Many thanks Thomas. It is nice to gain an insight into how pros play. I shall take the suggestions on board in preparation for the forthcoming season.

Thanks again. :)