Turning your head back to watch your partner hitting the birdie

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by PeterPanPan, Nov 10, 2015.

1. PeterPanPan

PeterPanPan Regular Member

Merchant
    My friend told me that it is a fault for the front player to turn his head back to look at his partner hitting the birdie at the back court. Please help to clarify if this is true or not. If yes, please help to provide the rule# on this. Thanks!

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Of course it's not a fault according to the rules, but you should never look back. Your partner could hit a late forehand/backhand drive and hit you straight in the eye...

Never look back!!!

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    There is no rule on this.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ask your friend to provide the rule!

5. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I agree with Rob3rt.
    A mate of mine thought the shuttle was going out, looked back, only to have a shuttle whacked right in his eye.
    Out for about 3 months, in hospital for a week and now he has to wear goggles forever now.
    No lie, and this guy is only 15...

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, a guy at my club hit his former partner in the eye with a forehand drive, because he was looking back. He's blind on that eye now...

7. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Ouch, you win.

It's a brutal game.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Cr@p... reminds me of that time just 2 months ago when I was going for a late forehand drive from the back court... and my partner stuck in mid court looked back right at that moment. :(

Struck him right in the eye. Fortunately he closed his eyelids in time, so his cornea was fine. Just saw some extra floaters. Was checked out by the ophthalmologist next day and luckily vision is OK, no permanent damage, but has vitreous detachment with floaters.

9. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

That's what I was taught and did for a long time, but it is hard to anticipate the flow of the game, end up being stuck in the front. Over time I have learned to look back initially IF THE BIRD IS LIFTED/CLEARED to see if partner is in control of it or scrambling. That allows me to make better adjustments. But rarely/never look back if the shot passes me flat or downwards, that is when such accidents can happen.
    In other words, need to learn from experience when it safe to look back.
    Would be nice to hear from coaches on this forum (MSeeley?).

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    people come up with strange rules!

it is not a rule in badminton.

however, as many have said, if you are at the front, you should never never look backwards.

11. PeterPanPan

PeterPanPan Regular Member

Merchant
    Thanks everyone for the clarification and the advice to avoid injury. Very much appreciated.

12. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Even that is a bad idea. If when you rotate your body, you see your partner in your peripheral, you know they've got it. If you think you're going to block your partner's smash, lower yourself down to a defensive style position so your eyes are just below the tape. You shouldn't be in their way then.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

And who says badminton is a sissy sport?!

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    hmm, this is at lower levels of play.

You should try to avoid this as it is not essential for most shots. From factors such as where the lift went, the previous position of your partner, your assessment of his/her ability in moving, and the choice of shots that they can play (or choose to play)(their skill level), you can make the adjustments.

Theoretically, you can look back and be safe anytime until your partner hits the shuttle. However, if you are looking back, you are not paying attention to the opponents.

15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Not only that, but it may put your partner off. I have noticed (although I have no evidence) that this happens quite a bit, especially when your partner is trying to play a very tight drop or a shot that requires a lot of concentration.

May be it could be interpreted as doubting your partner, or perhaps checking if it might go out. Both of which could just dislodge your partners concentration - and yours.

16. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

I guess I am descending into a lower level player! As are quite a few on this forum, including OP(?). Thanks! (I am not offended).
    Frequently, when I am at the front, it is not clear to me where my partner is or my assumption that he/she has the rear well covered turns out to be wrong. Especially at club level play with different people. Probably not true if you play regularly with same partner.
    Of course, many also recommend wearing safety glasses to prevent eye injury from opponents' and partner's shots.