How can i find someone to play with?

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by Bennyji, May 23, 2004.

1. Bennyji

Bennyji Regular Member

I am new here, as well as to Vancouver. But i am really a badminton fan, how can i find someone to play with?

I live near 29th Av skytrain station, as i haven't a car, i prefer to play near my place.

Dose anyone available around? Or where do u usually play?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. viver

viver Regular Member

The community center closest to you should be Renfrew community center - if not mistaken is located at the intersection of 22nd Ave and Renfrew. You could go there and check the available schedules for badminton.

Another place that a some BFers go is Collingwood neighborhood center. Break-My-Strings, a guy who is also a regular participant in this forum organizes it on Sundays, 12 - 2:30pm I think. Collingwood is whithin walking distance of Joyce Skytrain station.

4. Bennyji

Bennyji Regular Member

I have been to the Renfrew community center, i just can't find someone to play with.

BTW, how is the charge at Collingwood neighborhood center? and is there anybody who go to there i can play with?

BTW2, where do u play ,Viver?

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Bennyji,

Welcome to BF and Vancouver! I occasionally play at Renfrew on Tuesday nights and am somewhat a regular at Collingwood on Sundays. The crowds are friendly at Collingwood. You pay $3 at the front counter, and then $3 more to Karl (for the birdies). It's all doubles, so don't be too self-conscious. Only one catch though... minimal skill level is high intermediate. No newbies because we play with feather birds. Hope to see you next week:)!

6. richho

richho Regular Member

CSR
    Hey,Benny,welcome to join this big family.

I am a pretty new member also,but I joined in March.So to you,I am older to this forum.

You got the right place,for you are going to meet more friends through this forum.I posted almost the same thread topic as yours,and I got lots of replies afterwards.So nice the BFers they are.Then I came out to play with them and enjoyed all the games.

Taking this oppurtunity,I would like to thank those BFers,Traum,the first ppl who brought me to Clearone so that I played the first game in Vancouver.Pete_LSD,Schorginercat and TTT,who always gave me a ride home after the exhausted games until 2:00am in VRC.Timeless,who would be of great pleasure to teach you skills of playing. Aily,the enthusiastic and kind lady at VRC, was never to get bored of introducing new partners and giving hints to you.And Cappy75,borrowed me 3 new birds last nite. :D ....so many ppl i need to thank ..

Oh,forgot to tell you,VRC is a badminton club in Vancouver,located close to Main st and 33th AVE.check it out at http://www.vrc.bc.ca. Most of those ppl above are the members of VRC.You can have a visit there.If you wanna play with me,PM me.
    :)
    Richard

7. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Hi Bennyji,

Welcome to the Vancouver BF community. Collingwood's definitely the place to check out to get started with you "badminton networking." Break-My-String and many BF's who play there will be able to hook you up with other hotspots to play at. Everyone's very friendly, and I felt very welcome when I came on the court for the first time many months ago. The game is at a consistently high intermediate level, and you are sure to learn a lot. Come on out and join us for a friendly game on Sunday afternoons.

See you on the court!

604badder

8. TTT

TTT Regular Member

man...too bad you are in vancouver. You and confuzzledfreak could have hooked up to each other as practicing partners...

Maybe you guys can setup something like taking turns travelling to each other's area and practice that way.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Er... it might not be a good idea. Confuzzledfreak is a junior. Transportation is definitely a problem:(.

10. Bennyji

Bennyji Regular Member

It's really nice to have you guys so friendly here.

Could you tell me the exact address of the Collingwood's and the exact time of sunday afternoon's event?

:eek: :eek: And ...... is there any deduction for a man who has no job yet and is imprecunious but just crazy for badminton? :eek: :eek:

BTW, I am from China and where do u guys come from?

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Bennyji,

You're welcome! Collingwood is just two blocks down south of Joyce/Collingwood Skytrain station along Joyce St. Use the search function to look for the proper address. Heh! No deduction whatsoever as long as you can afford to play:D. Perhaps you should do a thread in the intro. forum. Let us know a little about you:).

12. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    map

Collingwood center is right across the church. Check this out

Attached Files:

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    That map is not quite right. Well ... maybe in a way. That's a different church. Collingwood is opposite the Roman Catholic church, not the Baptist church. Exact cross-street of the RC church and Collingwood is Euclid & Joyce.

The skytrain station is at Vanness and Joyce, and the map is marked too far north (north-east?). B-M-S is going to charge you double, next time SchrodingerCat :D

-dave

14. viver

viver Regular Member

Hi Benny,
    I usually play at Richmond Badminton club, but during the summer period wherever badminton is available. I can't go to Collingwood as my son usually have soccer practice at the time they have the badminton.

In community centers, usually people do not like to mix with strangers. It takes a little bit of time to get friends - it takes time for people to know you. I went through the same thing when I came to Canada.

Collingwood should be a nice place to start with. They are a bunch of friendly guys and are helpful. Should be a good starting point for your badminton 'adventures' here in Canada.

From 22nd ave, I think you have the option of taking the skytrain or bus 27 (bust 27 last stop) to go to Joyce skytrain station. From the station to Collingwood is about a less than 5 mins walk. You can follow the map and please ask if you have more questions.

15. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

looking for one
    Sorry... Oops... wood is right. :eek:

16. Bennyji

Bennyji Regular Member

Sorry, I don't quite understand what do u mean by 'charge me double'.

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Wood_22_Chuck is just joking with SchrodingerCat:p!

18. speed78

speed78 Regular Member

Hi Richard,

thank you very much for your kind words :)

I'm crazy about badminton, that's why I'll always be glad if I can be of help, it makes my day to be helping a fellow badminton player!

to Bennyji -- welcome to BF! look forward to meeting you at VRC!

19. Bennyji

Bennyji Regular Member

ok, I will be there this sunday, but what is the exact time for your sunday's playing?

20. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Aily, thanks very much for setting me up with a foursome at VRC on Saturday night! I really appreciate it. You're very cool! :D

I would call you Auntie Aily, but someone mentions that this is a no-no!

Bennyji, Collingwood Sundays run from 12 noon - 2:30 pm. I highly advise you to arrive there and sign up by 11:45 at the latest, cause we do get the courts a little early and sometimes get full.

-dave

#20 wood_22_chuck, May 24, 2004
    Last edited: May 24, 2004