When would you cut your string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Smashguy, May 24, 2004.

1. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

In two conditions, first, of course mandatory, until it broke. Second, when it looses the tension to the level you cannot tolerate. Which u plp would prefer?

Personally, I usually strung my rackets with BG80@24lbs. I can't tolerate if it down to 21lbs, especially the slim frame racket and light racket such as Ti7 Light.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    How exactly do you know that it went down from 24lbs to 21lbs? The thumb press test definitely doesn't show this.

3. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    take another racket, turn it sideways so the side of the head is facing the stringbed of the racket you want to test, and just hit it a couple times, you will hear different tones of the string when you hit the middle of the stringbed. Or you could hit your palm but i think that dampens too much of the tone.

4. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    I want to restring whenever I feel a big loss in tension. I can stand a small loss but sometimes strings get too loose and it affects my gameplay :rolleyes:

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Way back then, my strokes were weak, and I play no more than 3-5 hrs per week. Therefore, seems the string could last forever. I cut the string when I felt the tension is way too low, or the string felt "dead".

Now days, with improved power (ok, my standard is low, :p ), and 15+ hrs per week, the string usually snaps (1-2 months, depend on string and tension) way earlier than I can feel the difference.

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    When would you cut your string?

Just like my hair - when it gets too long! :p

7. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Or when your girlfriend find it too ugly :p

Heheh, seriously I cut them when I see its too loose or it is in a very bad shape.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Then you should cut your strings and re-string every week, just like the sponsored professionals. It would pay in the long run to buy a stringing machine.

9. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

I never cut the string even if it's loose, except I'll be playing at tourney ... :)

10. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    i play my string to destruction, or near destruction. :p

destruction would be till it breaks.

near destruction would be till there are parts of the string that start to become thinner and start to develop a bit of fuzz at certain string intersections.

There may be tiny drops in performance along the way... but its usually not that significant, since i play for fun and usually dont join local league tournaments. If i did... i'd make it to change string at least 2 wks before the big day... so i would get used to the new string/tension.

11. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Strings break faster than they loose tension TBH.

Slightly Off Topic

Do people cut all their strings clear to relieve the uneven tension when a single string breaks?
    I've been told to cut alternate main/cross strings to gradually release the tension evenly across the frame.
    Was warned after my stringer watched someone cut all their cross strings with 28lb's still on the main & cracked their frame.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If you string a racket at 27lbs, and break a string, even that amount can defrom a racket enough to crack the frame (had it happen on several occasions, the latest on a Karakal sl70 @24lbs.

So if you cut ALL the strings of one type, then if the tension is anything over 19lbs(not measured-i do not reccomend you do this on any racket), i think you can probably say good bye to that racket.

I believe 90% of racket damage is done in the time during stringing and in between cutting the strings after broken. (not measured)

The higher the tension you string, the quicker the string will lose tension, but also the quicker it will break. Basically if you feel the tension is affecting your (mental or otherwise) then cut it. If the cost of cutting the strings is too much for you to take, then dont, but dont complain about it, and use it as an excuse, be a bit more positive! :)

The cost of string and string jobs is roughly the same proportional to GDP of a country anway (although I am preparing to be bombarded with examples where it isnt here)