ZYL/TQ: the end of the road?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by renbo, Nov 20, 2015.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

During HK Open I had the chance to sit by the courts where ZYL and TQ played. For the whole matches (2 of them), there was not a word exchanged, one physical contact and even eye contact between the two players. The only communication that happened was through the coach in the interval.

this is not normal for those players who normaly give fives to each other and talk a lot (specially ZYL).
    it really look like they were is serious disagreement, but had to keep on anyway, perhaps because they are still the most reliable pair.

someone have news about that?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    with Olympics qualifying period well on the way, it is unlikely they will separate before Rio.

sometimes it is just a matter of getting the job done and not having to be good friends. it was rumored that Ge Fei and Gu Jun aren't really great friends outside of the badminton court and they are one of the most accomplished pair in the history of badminton.

as for after Rio, anything can happen!

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I agree. The way I saw it, they were very professional, thinking about winning and not letting the feelings interfere.

4. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

ZYL hinted that this might be her last HK SS, meaning she may retire next yr..

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Like I said in the HK Open tournament thread, they have known each other for so long, competing and training together, winning numerous titles as a pair, the coveted Olympics and the WCs - I really don't see any serious conflict between them.

I mean some minor differences or the occasional misunderstanding is common in any long-term relationship. But I believe they are both mature and experience enough to know how to resolve whatever problem that might develop over time, and,most importantly, bear the big picture in mind. Better cherish each other as they are still the top favourite for another Olympic gold; my advice is, never take each other for granted.

How many WD players would love to have either one as their partner. Remember the saying, even your tongue which is so close to the teeth gets accidentally bitten once in a blue moon. They still stay close together as they need each other.

And, I repeat, Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei are like an old couple whereby no words are necessary, just a knowing look or a glance at each other will do, rarely do they need to talk much to each other during a match. In fact, in the HK Open WD final just now, I saw ZYL saying something to TQ only once throughout the match as shown on TV. And they duly won the WD title for the umpteenth time.

Actually, at the court-side post-match interview, the pair was asked a question about how they maintain their rapport and mutual understanding, and ZYL's reply was similar to what I say here, that is, they've been together for so long, know each other so well, and suchlike.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Well of course they can't say otherwise! My impressions comes from watching from very close for two matches, it is not complicity. But I no concrete information to back those impressions.
    They don't only play together, they also live together, with the other team member. So we don't know what is happening there. What is certain is that they don't need to talk to win, and they are very professional and can play in those conditions and perform at their best level - for a time I would say.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    What is the key to long lasting relationship?

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

For me, communication. But in many cases, one does not have the choice but to be in a relationship. Then things are different.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    True. Communication is the key. Trust of course.

I am very surprised this is happening to ZYL and TQ. They both seem to be easy to get along.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes, trust, so important, more then anything.
    I might be wrong though. It is easy to misinterpret signals from people we don't know personally. Nevertheless, it was very strange to see this kind of avoidance. I'll pay attention in future tournaments, but on tv it is difficult to tell.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Rumour about ZYL and TQ parting company is rife on bbs badmintoncn for quite a while now.

I think your interpretation is right.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If there's some truth to the rumours of their parting ways, I can only think of one reason, that is Tian Qing's waning form some time ago.

But now that Tian Qing is back to her winning ways, particularly winning the WC again with Zhao Yunlei, followed by a couple other PSS/SS titles,including today's HK Open WD Final - I think whatever problems they might have can be set aside.

13. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

With Olympics coming i don't see them splitting up. They are the best in the business.

14. RuSSy

RuSSy Regular Member

Student
    I really like this pair , esp in 2014 WC.. and wish they can get 2nd Gold in Rio 2016..

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    How has the Asian Games 2014 lost affected them?

#15 pcll99, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

There was a period where they did not play together, I think it was after the asian games.

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Saw this on TQ fan page:

Tq.png

#Fight-Fight

buibui2 likes this.
  18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Cos people at the top don't even bother with you at all?

19. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Are those really Tian Qing's words?

In all honesty and my opinion, I think that it was Zhao Yunlei that played a bit 'iffy' at the Hong Kong Open. She looked very tense and made some uncharacteristic mistakes. I've noticed that as well during the match against Christinna Pedersen/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl. Next to that, the Chinese management really switched a lot with the WD athletes the last couple of months, although I think this final of the HKO will be the representation of the pairs we will see at the OG.

Did Tian Qing had a waning form some time ago and was it related to an injury? I can't really remember it. There were a couple of tournaments where she was playing with ZYL and she really was the 'man of the match'. She even played better and more 'crisp' compared to ZYL. Can't remember which match/tournament, but even Steen Pedersen or Morten Frost (?) noticed that TQ was quicker with retreiving shots and more creative then ZYL. At the Indonesian Open TQ impressed me when she won with TJH; she played freely and wasn't afraid to play at the front of the court with TJH behind her back.

I do agree with renbo though; I've compared their latest matches to some of the matches we've seen around 2012 (prime example the 2012 final of the HO against YY/WXL); and they definitely communicated more, acknowledged their presence more and completed each other more on court. This last HO, when one of them made a mistake after a rally, they each slouched on court, away from each other. When they won against Pedersen/Juhl, they didn't even look at each other or gave a high five... It's all about the small observations and it's making me worried. I'm definitely not hating them! Infact, it's the complete opposite and I'm always rooting for them! I absolutely love to watch their games and they are my favourite WD pair. Their style is so athletic yet graceful and vicious. So hopefully it's just a minor kink in the cable

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon