how to serve (long)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by confuzzledfreak, May 24, 2004.

1. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    could anyone give me tips on how to do a long serve, especially in the area of lower body movement...
    Do you shift ur weight form back foot to front, resulting in the back lifting up a bit?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's correct. for a forehand high service, you start by having your weight on the racket leg, then body rotate and weight shift towards the non-racket leg in the front.

3. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    You shift your weight from your back - racquet - foot to your front foot. BUT remember not to take a step, as that is a fault.

In terms of the swing - I think it reminds me of golf, but it's not really that way.

The long shot is unbelieveably difficult sometimes. For players in my age catagory, those that play in the Junior B, 95% cannot do a deep singles serve. I think it might have to do with psychology. They're trying to aim to the back, as I used to do. You either hit it out, or eat the bird. Aim for the roof when you take your serve. The higher you hit, the less far, but you still have enough force to send it straight to the back, and once the bird has gone its highest, it falls straight down. If you hit too low, it ends up being a parabola, and lands out.

Once you get the serve though, it's beautiful, because it's actually quite effortless - and you win a lot of points quite easily.

4. confuzzledfreak

Student
    haha, I got it now--the next problem is forehand lift....I can never get that...I can do backhand quite consistantly but never forehand..I hit the rim and never hit the sweet spot, and i am unable to control it! :mad:

5. altreality

altreality Regular Member

A properly executed long service is crucial, imho..
    It is important to practice serving until you can vary the height (but always deep) by varying your upswing....
    but I do find some people swinging too hard ... too much effort and makes recovery slower......

a flick serve (thats deep enough) can be effective too.

6. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    The key in the forehand lift and on the service is the pronation or the forearm.

So, basicailly, 2 tips:

1) the palm or your hand should begin should be open towards the ceil and at the end, it should be open towards the floor -> pronation of the forearm!;

2) the thumb of your racquet's hand should touch your left shoulder at the end (if you are righthanded).

For the first tip, I saw a video of Peter Gade saying the opposite. But, IMO, for people who have troubles doing a basic serve, this technique helps a lot better.

The lower body is those shots is not a major factor.

Good luck!

JR

7. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Is it bad if I just stand still and swing? I find that I can provide adequate power to hit close to the ceiling and deep enough without doing any lower body work.

8. confuzzledfreak

Student
    for a long serve, would you start with your racquet face parallel to the bird, then swing? I whiff the bird alot when I serve.... :mad: