Yonex Nanoray 900 3U5 for U$D100, is it worthy?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by arfandy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I've been a forever user of headheavy rackets as such Voltric and am thinking to "maybe" try to switch to even-balanced or head-light yonex rackets. Especially since the place i'm currently reside is having a little clearance sale for ONLY Yonex Nanoray900 for USD99. Arcsaber10, 11, Duora10, & Nanoray Z-Speed are still sold at its premium price which no less than $150.

I've read many reviews on Nanoray900 and am wondering that should i really buy it (considering i'm very well used to head-heavy rackets) or perhaps just wait for another clearance sale of Voltric? Honestly i dont really believe marketing gimmick of Yonex promoting Nanoray900 as "smash at different angle" and seeing how Henda/Ahsan have been successful in "extracting" the full potential of the racket, it tempts me to give it a try.

I play double all time, no single. mostly power smash (hence lover of Voltric/Thruster series). occasional net-play if necessary. okay enough at exchange fast drive. please recommend me if i shall buy Nanoray900 or just ignore this promotion. thank you

FYI, Nanoray 900 is 100% legit & authentic as the shop has very good reputation in NEVER stock any fakes.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Maybe.

As primarily a singles player, I tried out the NR900 but it didn't feel like anything special. Really the best thing it has going for it is the stiffness, which makes it excel at drives and helps generate a good smash angle by having a short flex time.

It doesn't have a great head weight. Frame is very fast, but it lacks the punch to back it up really.

Maybe you can try the racket out before you purchase it.

Switching racket types is also quite tough, I didn't really enjoy the experience I got from headlight rackets after mainly using head heavy rackets. I can see why you'd be tempted if you only player doubles.

3. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I was looking for even-balanced rackets for transition but price concerns me too. It just happen only Nanoray 900 is on sale while old Arc10, 11, ArcZS, and maybe the infamous NRZP (not exactly sure which category this racket on chart) are still at their premium price. I had tried Nanospeed 9000 long time ago and didn't like it at all. too light, little power if compared to Armotec series. I'm afraid purchasing Nanoray900 will exactly repeat the history. I'm a current user of VTZF II LCW & old VT80 all 3UG5.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I would look at something like the Arc 11.

Z Speed is more of a singles racket, even if you take out all of the other factors.
    Z Slash is still more of a singles racket if you ask me, it's more head heavy and flexible for generating extra power.

I think if you go too far to head light, you'll regret it. The 11 is still a pinch head heavy. Especially considering your current choices are very head heavy.

Like I said maybe the shop owner will let you try the racket out.

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    How silly of me. I should've mentioned from the outset.

Why not just buy a lighter head heavy racket? I use the FD in doubles sometimes.

6. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

I would suggest to wait for another head heavy rackets if you're a already a head heavy user as for sure Nanoray 900 won't have that badass power of VTZF2 or VT80.

Nanoray 900 is for fast placement, fast exchanges, great defense, drives, extremely fast for front plays and it's my to go racket when I need to play fast paced game(depending on my opponents), but if you're a smasher/attacker type you would want to consider getting something head heavy. My initial reason why I got one was when I need something instead of the slower but more powerful Voltric, is that I would complete my game with a fast but less powerful Nanoray.(Sometimes my shoulder would get quite sore from too much smashing with VTZF2 or VT80etune, which is why I would use a less demanding NR900 at times)