Help me choose a less demanding racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by orangenetic, Nov 29, 2015.

1. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

I am currently using a VT80 4U with VS890 and BG80 at 27lbs

I really love playing with the VT80 but I don't think I can get enough power out of it when i'm under pressure. I can feel it bend when I hit a shot while being ready. But when i'm under pressure and when i'm semi ready to hit the shot, it just feels like i'm hitting with a wooden stick. Maybe I need a racket that's less stiff? I usually like stiff rackets but maybe it's time to try something new.

I recently tried 3U BS12 and 3U LYD and 3U Arc10 TH

the 3U BS12 was waaaaay too light for me. Maybe i'm just used to the VT80 but BS12 seemed too weak and I didn't seem to get much of a benefit from the speed.

3U LYD felt great. I could feel enough bend in the shaft (Which feels great) and I could get power in any situation without causing problems. But I don't think I can buy a LYD

3U Arc10 was horrible. It had nice power from drives but other than that it felt kind of hollow and just not right in my hands.

Please help me choose a less demanding racket :p

2. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    VT70 or drop your tension a pound or two I'd say.

3. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

The problem with VT70 is that I can only get a 4U VT70 from where I live and i've tried 4U VT70 and it feels too light for me...if I could find a 3U VT70, it might be worth a shot

The reason I have my tension at 27lbs(When stringing) is because it drops a few pounds after a few days so it goes to 25-26 which feels just right for me.

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Li Ning N50 III.

It's an incredibly easy racket to use. Very powerful. Incredibly good swing speed. I was going to buy 2 more soon, but the N99 might just have my absolute perfection specification, so I'm holding out a little.

5. Shunpuri

Shunpuri Regular Member

I recommend you get a 4U Victor Onigiri. It's fast, medium flex and quite powerful. Mine is strung with 66UM@29, love it.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sorry for hijacking this thread for a bit, but how would you compare the N50 III against a JS10? I am still looking for a matching extension to my JS10 which offers maybe a tad more punch from the baseline without sacrificing too much headspeed on defence and drives.

And since Li-Ning has just recently made his appearance on my radar with the brilliant No.1 string, I want to check if they might also offer an interesting candidate. And from specs only, the N50 III looks closest to a JS10 or am I wrong?

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you are unable to play an average shot when you are under pressure, I think that is not the racket and also that your tension choice is too high. The wooden feeling also describes that you are not always able to hit properly under pressure. So IMO you are not using the right tension and maybe the wrong string.
    A second reason could be that you are able to do things right in a comfort zone, but end up doing something wrong (standing wrong, not change the grip fast enough, etc. due rushing).

I suggest to lower your tension around 2lbs. Just get some laughs for low tension and beat your opponents than the other way around. It will be a foreign feeling, but under pressure you will be able to hit more forgiving. Also try to get quicker and more comfortable with the pressure. Maybe your choice or previous choice of shots lead to this pressure, because you realize too late that you can't recover properly any more. You should accept that you can't hit the smash of the century when you are out of balance.

IMO a demanding racket and wrong tension choice shows when you get pretty quick tired in your arm even in your comfort zone. Otherwise there are much more culprits than just the racket.

8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Li Ning produces awesome rackets. I've used a lot and liked most of them. The N80 is my go-to since a little over a year now, which is pretty rare for me to use a racket that long. ;)

The N50III is the fastest LN racket I know, but it's heavier (3U) than the JS10 and really flexible. The JS10 is medium stiff to stiff, isn't it?

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The JS10 is rated very stiff, but actually I don't think it really is that stiff. It's stiffer than a BS12 for example, but not by much.

What really made me thinking about getting a Li Ning is this hilariously good offer for the N50 III and others from Tennistown: http://www.tennistown.de/m/product_info.php?sort=5d&mID=91&products_id=18281. Although I am afraid that I most probably won't be able to finally make up my mind within the next couple of hours...:crying:

Bonus question: Is there any logic in the naming and numbering of their rackets? Cruising through the different models I got confused big time since I couldn't recognize any parallels between the model number and the specs. :confused:

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

The N50III is a lot more flexible than the BS12.

If there is any logic in the numbering of their N-rackets, I haven't figured it out yet... I first thought, the higher the number, the higher the balance point, but that's not the case.

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If it's a lot more flexible than BS12 that would make it a lot a lot more flexible than JS10 which is not what I'm really looking for. So thanks for the heads up. I'm also quite relieved that apparently I didn't miss any obvious link from model number to spec.

Nevertheless, I have to keep a close look on the upcoming releases from Li Ning. I've just seen the first glimpses of the N99 in the other thread and boy, I am tempted by the looks alone! What a beauty! :eek:

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If you like the BSLYD but want the speed of a BS12, try the BS11 or BSLHI - two of my favorite racquets! :cool:

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I'm itching for an N50 with a stiffer shaft. It would absolutely complete the racket for me. Now Robert has also shown me they're releasing a TD version of the racket which /does/ have a stiffer shaft, but I can't find anywhere to buy it here yet. Maybe I'll get someone to pick me up a couple from China.

I'm also hoping the N99 will be 'a better ZF2', with the same incredible speed of the N50 accompanied with the head weight and stiffness of the ZF2.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What is a TD version? Sorry, I don't speak LiNing that good yet.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Limited Edition, I think, they tend to have slightly different specs.

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Ah, okay. If you ask me, they need to get their racket numbering in some kind of order.

But now, let's finish the hijack and back to OP.

17. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    No need to change racquet. Just lower your tension and/or change the string. 27lbs is quite high IMHO. I've known players who won't change their tension even though they are not strong. No problem for me as I continue to beat them ;-)
    If you lose 2lbs after playing, maybe it wasn't a good stringing job?

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

They are usually stiffer than the original version. Example: The N9 is flexible, the N9 TD is medium stiff.

19. xeoreg

xeoreg Regular Member

But the TD versions are also made with "commercial grade carbon fiber" and not "military grade carbon fiber", hence the lower tension recommendation. I just think it's a cheaper version that has the same design as the more expensive and more premium version.

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    They also have TF lines which I think are Training Frames or something? Either way, I might grab a few of them.

Back on topic, the N50 is a stupid easily racket OP. Flexibility helps with generating power.