Recommendation to progress up from MP22

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nulified, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Nulified

Nulified New Member

I have a MP22 strung with BG95 that I have been using for several years now. I play casually with my friends once a week (doubles with the occasional singles matches). I have not received any lessons. I'm looking to improve my repulsion power and progress my game play. I have tried a ZF2 and Arcsabre (can't remember the model) but both felt very good with repulsion for clears and defensive strokes (strung with BG80) and smashes were okay feeling for my skill level.

Any recommendations under 200$. Around $150 is more comfortable.

mp22.JPG

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If you have never played seriously or had coaching you probably don't have very good technique. In which case I don't think zf2 will be a good choice.

A racket wont do this - put the money towards coaching ;)

However, if you just want a new racket, voltric 5/7/70, arcsaber 7 are all good shouts for rackets that are easy to get on with. As is the Victor bravesword 12. However, you can say this to everyone. The information you provide doesn't really help us give you specific/accurate information.

What is it about your current racket that you like + don't like? What do you want in your next, and what are you willing to give up? E.g. you can't get better attack and better defense, generally speaking.

Also, please may I draw your attention to this http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-equipment-question-in-BadmintonForum-com-***

#2 amleto, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  3. Nulified

Nulified New Member

[MENTION=31680]amleto[/MENTION]

Thank you for the quick reply :eek:. You are probably right in that my technique is lacking but am also not expecting to turn into a expert with a purchase of a new racquet. Lessons are certainly something I've thought about before; maybe it's time to make the leap.

What I like:
    - the durability if I mis-hit or hit racquets in doubles
    - control of drops (might be the strings)
    - feel at impact (again, might be the strings)
    - vibration reduction

What I do not like:
    - the weight of the whole racquet (feels a lot heavier then the other racquets I have had a chance to test; makes a noticeable difference on my swing speed)
    - the amount of effort required to clear a shot

From the link you posted:
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you? Once a week. Casual player.
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...) I like to play as an all arounder not focusing on one thing but I like hitting drive and drop shots.
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance? Durability is important.
    4. How much money do you want to spend? Around 150$

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

ok. So I would suggest you look at 4u (80-85g) head heavy medium flex rackets - voltric 7 fits this exactly.

Also this victor racket, tk6000 available at MBS
    http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1835#.Vl2Asr_8yzw
    You can read about it here http://badminton-coach.co.uk/5053/victor-thruster-k-6000-badminton-racquet-review/

voltric 7 review http://badminton-coach.co.uk/1977/yonex-voltric-7-badminton-racquet-review/

There should also be a lot of information on both rackets in the the rackets/equipment sub forum - use google to search (e.g. type "tk6000 site:badmintoncentral.com" no quotes into google)

Personally, I prefer victor rackets as they give more feedback. You may interpret this as a bit more vibration. If you prefer damped feeling then stick with yonex.

The premium yonex mid flex head heavy racket is the voltric 70 - also available in 4u from MBS, but more normally found in 3u (heavier, 85-90g) form.

5. Nulified

Nulified New Member

[MENTION=31680]amleto[/MENTION]

Thanks for the recommendations. I am reading through the reviews and links you posted. :)