Thomas/Uber cup playing conditions

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by Cheung, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    These last couple of weeks have been very hot and humid in HK. Guang Zhou is probably the same. The Tian He stadium venue did not look like it had air conditioner facilities.

I'd advise anybody planning to go and watch to wear light clothes and have iced drinks ready.

Since the playing conditions are so hot, I wonder if it will work to the Koreans disadvantage.............we shall see soon!

2. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

Who will favour most?

Do u think the chinese have done this on Purpose? I am not suggesting a consiparacy but then..

I think Indo will adjust great as they are also a Equatorial country and they would have seen enough Humidity and heat. But I think it will boil down to fitness with the 7 point format. There is no way to conserve energy like the 15 point format and play.

I think the hard hitters are going to find it really tough due to the swealtering heat of the arena. so i believe that a person who possess a all round game will be the dominant factor in deciding the Tie.

let us see! It is going to be lot of fun.

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Heat and humidity

Heat and humidity will no doubt take its biggest toll on the Danes. For instance, Anders Boesen is know to sweat more than anybody else on the "tour"... this will be a great disadvantage of course. Plus, the shuttles become much faster...

The Danes should hold more training camps in Asia, I guess!

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

no air con in this day and age!

Well maybe then players won't be disturbed by

draughts like the recent J Open.

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    I don't understand why the shuttles would move much faster. Won't all the shuttles be tested for speed and the ones that are too slow or too fast be rejected? If necessary, couldn't a different speed range be provided?

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    You guys in H.K. are lucky to see this Uber/Thomas cup thing
    all the time.

BTW, anybody knows of any online websites, in H.K. or
    other more developed countries, that I can order VCD
    or VHS for the tourneys (I mean the Uber/Thomas, this one
    or past ones)?

Thx.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Shuttle speed

Marshall:

Shuttles become slower in dry conditions and faster in humid conditions. And keep in mind that when testing a shuttle for speed, the "correct" landing zone is nearly 50 cm deep, but most European players prefer an even narrower zone, so that the shuttle lands on, or just in front of the doubles long service line. This has to do with tradition in the European leagues, I guess, so when European players play in Asia (where shuttles are faster but still OK according to the IBF rules) they get in trouble. If you're used to being able to hit the lines consistently, +-20 cm will be a lot... Some Danish players train with faster shuttles prior to Asian tournaments to accommodate.