How to do cross court net shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chibe_K, May 27, 2004.

1. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Cross court net shot (not drop) is deadly to me. My opponents used it against me to win consistently. While I become more alert nowadays and able to anticipate the shot, I want to learn how to do it.

Basically, when someone make a drop shot on the left (or vice versa) front corner, I want to return the shuttle to the right front corner of my opponents to catch them off guard.

I heard many say different techniques, some say I need to slice, and some say not to slice. I am confused. Any advise would be appreciated.

If there are prior postings on this topic, please forgive me as I have searched but not able to find any specific enough. Thanks in advance

2. Gin80tonic

Gin80tonic Regular Member

Graduate Student
  3. other

other Regular Member

Student
    any more videos from that site?

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Thanks Gin80tonic, that is helpful. Is the video clip for backend cross court net shot available?

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    although to be honest, you don't get many oppurtunities to hit from so high up, mostly they would be way below net level, otherwise you'd probably be able to kill it off the net. unless it was really really good just skimming the net.

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

That is true, I should make a net kill if the shuttle is too high above net level. I am planning to use the cross-court net shot when my apponents make a drop shot. At the moment, I either life the shuttle or return a net drop (not cross court). I want to open up another dimension for my opponents to guess where my next shot will be.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That video was inspirational (even though I've seen it before). Are the rest available for download (can't save them from the Gade site)?

The backhand cross-court netshot cannot be done using the technique demonstrated by Peter Gade. It would require bending the elbow backwards :( I've often wondered how to execute this shot with deception. I have an idea that I've yet to test out, but when I get the opportunity I will.

My idea is that, instead of changing the racket head angle using the arm (as the video demonstrates for the forehand), change the angle using the fingers. From a backhand grip, you can very rapidly flip the racket head 90 degrees by rotating it with your thumb. You can then tap the shuttle along the net. This method clearly requires a lot of coordination, and it may prove to be impractical or impossible, but I have high hopes for it :)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm too impatient to wait for a badminton court, so I tried it out in my room :D

Early results are very encouraging. It's easy to do this shot if the shuttle is directly in front of you. I anticipate that the shot will become more awkward the more you are reaching to the backhand side.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gollum is right. Peter's video is very good and detailed, not sure what he said, but i think stressing the use of more finger motion is important. especially in the situation where one isn't exactly at the perfect position, the addition finger motion give extra manuverability and leverage.

a couple of key point of the shot is:

- 80% wrist and finger motion. if you find your arm doing much work, review the video again.
    - racket shaft points forward all the time, first time learners tend to draw a big rainbow arc, that's a no no.
    - elbow draws back near time of contact. strange, but it does work.
    - think how you flip a egg/pancake on the frying pan, the flipping motion is quite similar.

10. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Cool ! Cannot wait to leave office early and try it at the court today. I also notice Kim Dong Moon uses this cross court net shot a lot during tournaments. My observation is his arm and wrist were very relax when he did that, it seems works very well for him. I need to try that too.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. relaxation is another important point. all joints must not be stiff to execute the crosscourt net as it is a very delicate shot.

imho, crosscourt is very important in mixed, it gives you more possibilities in moving the lady around the net area, drawing the guy up and destroying their formation. KDM is the master indeed.

12. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Are you sure about this? IMHO RaKM is much better at the net and does more of these crosscourt net shots than he does.

I do remember Xia vs Wong during WC2003, we can see plenty of this from both of them.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Kim is the master, Ra is the godess ... ;)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I learnt this before.

The trickiest movement for me was the elbow movement. Drawing across the body in the direction of the shuttle is not a problem. The simultaneous movement of drawing the elbow backwards into the body is a real problem for me because my coordination centre says "the whole arm has to follow the shuttle. How can the arm be drawn back with the shuttle still going forward?? :confused: "

Another difference is that I was taught to rotate the racquet head more. From the video, it seems this is not so important.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The real question is here, Can this technique be used after an opponent has done a drop shot because the point at which the shuttle is struck will be much lower than in the video.

16. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You can probably. I have seen a lot of players with good wrist action do it but it needs very good control of the power to make sure that it doesn't fly too high above the net, especially when your opponent is very fast. It'll me a smaller version of the rainbow arc.

Sometimes I think one is forced to do it, especially when one is already too late to get that drop and the opponent is moving forwards to tap your weak returns.

I'm not quite sure if it can be done effective when the opponent is quite good, for example.

17. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    I think this need excellent precision to placing the shuttle if the opponent is quite good. At my club level, this is the chance to turning defense into offense..... ;)

#17 huijun, May 27, 2004
    Last edited: May 27, 2004
  18. Gin80tonic

Gin80tonic Regular Member

Graduate Student
    here is the site for more videos, the site was posted by some bfers before.

http://www.badmintontv.dk/ovelser.htm

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmmm. I don't think that the forehand one really uses the fingers very much - at least, not the way Gade demonstrates it. To me, it seems that the racket grip remains a loose forehand, and the quick lowering of the elbow changes the angle of the wrist.

For the backhand this just isn't possible, so you HAVE to use fingers (I think). Fortunately it's much easier to manipulate the racket with your fingers from a backhand grip - just use the thumb!

So: in my opinion, the forehand and backhand techniques we've discussed are fundamentally different. Forehand uses the arm, backhand the fingers.

20. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Cross Court Net Shots ?

How do you do a good ( forehand ) cross court net shots ???
    Do you use your wrist to make it go cross court or just pull your elbow back ?

If anyone can help , that'll be appreciated =)