"Cool" Badminton Clothes

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by assault38, May 29, 2004.

1. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    I have seen many posts on racquets, shuttles, and shoes, but few, if any posts on the particular clothing one wears during badminton play. I'm sure I'm not alone when I work up quite a sweat playing for several hours, to the point where it can be sticky and uncomfortable if you wear the wrong kind of clothing.

The question is: What is the right kind of clothing for badminton?

It is obvious that you don't want to be wearing sweatpants and a a leather jacket. Most people would be sensible to wear shorts and a t-shirt. However, with the technology of clothing fabrics on the move, we can now purchase shorts and shirts that are lighter and cooler than before.

Aside from the usual badminton polo shirts/shorts, I noticed a appearance of many new "hi-tech" cooling clothing by all brand names, such as nike and adidas. They are all lightweight, made of polyester, and design so that moisture is "wicked-off" your body and evaporated quicker for comfort. Knowing how much I sweat, I had to give up my cottons for the synthetics and buy the new "cool" clothes.

Has anyone else bought into this trend?

Do you pay attention to the kind of clothes you wear as a strategy to keep you cool, comfortable, and thus, more focused on the game?

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    I have a few of the nike ones... not realli working for me tho. I like something sleeveless but then some friends yell at me cuz they think in badminton u need to wear something with sleeves. -_-"

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yes, i have, i bot 5 of them and had stop using cotton t-shirt.
    It's 60% polyester and 40% COOLMAX, made by Dupont.
    Love them. Have all the advantages over cotton shirts.
    Could have bot more but i figure 5 would last me for VERY long time.

#3 cooler, May 29, 2004
    Last edited: May 29, 2004
  4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I wear nothing but CoolMax shirts these days. They're very comfortable and they're coming down in price too. Got a nice looking one in Winners last week for less than CAN$20 (caveat: excluding tax:rolleyes:).

5. mg27

mg27 Regular Member

Hey Cappy:

Go to Costco as they're $ 15 still (I think). Same colors as before,but they also have this light purple choice for some reason (gonna be a real good seller). Cheaper than the Dry-Fit/Cool-fit shirts.

Ciao,
    MG27

6. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    i wear a MEC (mountain equipment co-op) version of this material i got it for 17CAD bucks regular price. they have long sleeve for 19CAD. Over all much better then cotton t-shirts.

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yeah, it's definitely getting cheaper now that more people are jumping on board. I thought Coolmax is the same as Dry-Fit/Cool-fit material:confused:. I might check it out when I head back to Edmonton. Don't have Costco membership though:(.

8. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    I'm glad that a lot of brand names are jumping on the "cool" clothes wagon. I recently acquired 3 "cool" wear soccer shirts from Starter. They feature "Dri-star" technology and they are real light and pretty cool looking (no pun intended). True, they are not "official" badminton apparel, but, for $6.00 US each, I'm not going to make a fuss.

9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm.

Yonex coolfit, it does what it's supposed to do, absorb sweat and not make me look and feel I just came out of a shower ;), unlike my school sports t-shirts which after 3 hours of badminton can make me do what gade did to his shirt in indonesia *ooo rain...* ;)

10. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    The yonex coolfit line is great. I would`nt pay the retail, but whenever there`s a sale, I stock up.

11. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The "technical" Yonex ones this season are not really different from the normal ones made from 100% polyester from last season, oh that's right the new ones priced at £60 are 100% polyester, so how are they different exactly.

Although I have both seasons shirts I'm hard pressed to see the differences that require an extra £30. The only difference is that the new "very cool" shirts are 10 times nicer than the old seasons contrasting blues and blue/lime green tops.

However they are better than normal t-shirts or polo neck tops because they do keep you drier.

Has anyone made any comparisons between the Nike and Yonex versions?

12. Hooked

Hooked Regular Member

I bring with me 3 old T-shirts and 2 pair of shorts for games. Nothing on them says badminton at all. They are old and faded and with extra holes in them for that cooling effect. :D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    check your pm, i have sent you a site where u can order very special Alberta only sleeves and sleeveless t-shirts :)