What do I need for ceiling height in a badminton gym?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mikomi, Jan 8, 2016.

1. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    TLDR; version: I'm studying the merits of building my own badminton gym what ceiling height will I need to consider to let badminton be playable? :confused:

Long-ish version:
    I'm considering building my own gym/building to play badminton. :eek: Crazy, I know. But I've come to the possession of a plot of land where I can easily fit at least 6 courts + parking space. The architect helping me pro bono needs to know what clearance height we need when we play. I mentioned that we need at least 10m, is that too low? too high? :confused: I know high is best but I can't build a skyscrapper, this is coming out of my own pocket. :crying:

I'm not speaking in jest or having a thought exercise.

Your honest suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I have played in various gyms here in the area with varying heights.

The very first place that opened up many years ago, barely clear 20ft. that was no where near enough. but great for precision practice as we trained to just clear the ceiling and not touching it.

then newer places opens up with various (higher) heights. 24ft is really the minimum. with a 24ft ceiling, for doubles play we might hit the ceiling once during the evening.

when it goes up to 26ft, then we hardly ever hit the ceiling.

then one place has a 35ft ceiling, and honestly even if we aim for it and hitting the shuttle vertically really really hard, only 1 out of 10 times we managed to touch the ceiling.

translating to metric, it means 10m (around 33ft) will be plenty.

make sure you update us with the progress of your gym. that's really great that you have the resource and means to take on such a project.

3. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Thanks! I never thought about ceiling height all these years and when I suddenly had to think about it, I was at a loss what a proper height would be.

I will certainly keep you guys updated if it ever comes to fruition.

Right now the designer needs to come up with a plan that is structurally sound and from there we can calculate the costs and see if I can afford it. I'm not expecting it to pay out of pocket by myself. I'm going to coerce-- I mean blackmail.. no wait, I mean to diplomatically convince others to join my cause. :cool:

If worse comes to worse, I'll just put a zinc roof on 4 posts and pray there's no wind on the days we play.

#3 mikomi, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

The span doesn't change, which is the only factor that really affects the roof design.

Unless you think you'll be getting some freak wind conditions another 10ft in height?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  7. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]
    That's a really good resource. This helps a lot! I think 10m is good then... Just read the document you linked, wow. That's very thorough. So very thorough.

[MENTION=84309]AimUk[/MENTION]
    My concern was getting a good height in the design. Can't change a design afterwards if we find out the ceiling is too low.

#7 mikomi, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  8. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Oh. I didn't think to look in the actual badminton central site. Sorry! I did search around the forums for a while before posting on the forums.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

That's because BC's search function is not very useful...