How long is it ok not to cut broken strings?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by AreYouEvenMad, Jan 12, 2016.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Today at a training session, a string of my racket broke, and I've read that it's better to cut the other strings, because the uneven tension can warp the racket fram. However there seem to be different ways how to cut it, and I`m a little bit confused how to do it correctly, and I dont really want to make it even worse :D Is it ok to leave the broken strings on for about 1-2 days? My racket tension is about 10,5 kg (23lbs). I will bring the racket to a local store tomorrow, and they will usually restring it within 2 days. Is this still ok, or is it better to cut the strings right now?

Thanks ;)

2. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Always cut the strings ASAP. As far as I know, there isn't a specific method for cutting the strings, but just do it right away

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Cut the cross and the mains at the same time, starting from the bottom corner. This way you're relieving stress faster as to cutting mains than cross.

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Honestly it usually takes a while to cause any real issue, I mean think about the uneven pressure while the racket is being strung. Just cut them asap to be safe, I mean there's no reason not to cut them. It's not like you're going to play on it anyway. Higher tensions warrant cutting it faster, because there's more tension on the frame.

5. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

23lb is too weak to cause any warp to the frame. If it was strung at 23lb, after few games it would probably dropped 1-2 lbs, so your racket is at most 20-21 lb now. no worry. you can cut anyway you like, for me, I cut diagonally from 7 o clock to 1 o clock position.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There is absolutely no reason to keep strings in a racket after they are broken; they can't be played with, but they can damage your frame.

When it comes to cutting them, first and foremost go fast, but try to keep the stress balanced - start from the middle and work outward in a spiral shape.

8. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

My friend just handed me a Apacs racket that he broke the string before Xmas, there is no sign or warp until today. I strung that racket at 26lbs. As many had said, no reason not to cut it, why take the risk. The only time I encountered a warp was on a $20 aluminium racket strung at 22lbs.

9. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Definitely see the thread that kwun posted above^. Cut your strings right away. Most clubs and stringers have scissors so you can usually get it cut right after it breaks. Some frames are really strong (my friend's FZ Forza Ti-9000 VS) and hasn't broken although he has neglected to cut the strings, although if you use the racket a lot/have high tensions, it will break slowly.