Camilla Martin, Racist? Or Sore Loser?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, May 30, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I remember someone mensioned that Camilla tried to ban all Chinese badminton players or something like that......

Whats her problem? She can bear to face the fact that she isnt the best? Or does she just want to make a name for herself in more than 1 way?

2. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Probably the latter. I'm learning not to label anyone a racist these days (unless the signs are really obvious).

3. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Yeah, I was the one who said that..from someone else that is..My assumption is that she is totally a sore loser. If you suck, then you just suck...better walk your ass home and train harder then...don't be whining and complaining..that just goes to show what a hater you are. I hope that her #1 seed drops immediately..and I use to look up to her too..not anymore...not anymore..Gade is still cool with me though...so it's all good..everyone else is the bomb..go Sigit/Candra, Tony/Halim and the Chinese squad! Give'em hell AND the best performance you can give!

4. May

May Guest

umm..... Could I ask u wut does Gade, Sigit/Candra, Tony/Halim, and the chinese squad have to do with Camilla Martin???

5. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Nothing...they are not sore losers like Camilla Martin. They work hard and train hard and deserve to be who they are..don't know about Gade though..the Danes are still pretty strong...

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Nothing. I think Tony's just saying that Gade's graciousness both on and off court is a contrast to his girlfriend's undesirable behaviour. As for the Indonesian pairs and the Chinese squad, it's just Tony showing his support.

7. Johnny

Johnny Guest

Stop the bullshit!

I don't know where you have this gossip from but I guess you just made it up yourself. I can't belive all these people just take your word for it it's such a load of stinking lies!
    Camilla Martin have NEVER tried to ban any chinese players!
    If she have then I'd like to see the article you have your information from (like if that's going to happen)

8. Momo

Momo Guest

You're right...

I know people who've trained in Denmark, and personally know the golden couple.
    They're very nice people.
    There's something called trash talk in the sports world, and nothing wrong with a little talk back and forth to attack your opponent mentally.
    Much to our chagrin Johnny, people are entitled to their own opinions, but it's really good to see people like you, stick up for other people's reputations.
    I still think the world #1 lady's player is just that, or she wouldn't have that spot.
    She must have been doing something right to get to where she is, like her or not, she's still #1.
    We'll see what other players will do during the WC, if they can beat her, then and only then would they have real bragging rights to say what they want.

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: Stop the bullshit!

Let's see... I haven't seen any article on Camilla Martin wanting to ban any Chinese players myself. In fact, I was equally doubtful about the (supposed) report and source.

My attitude about Martin being a sore loser stands however, because of the way she conducts herself on court. I am not suggesting that there can only be one kind of court etiquette or that every player should and must conduct themselves like the Chinese players (who are supposedly paragons of excellent behaviour) to be acceptable. But the way she loses her temper can really get to me, especially because it seems she is acting that way due to her opponent having an upper hand.

Someone mentioned in another thread that we should not judge people based on gossips and videotapes. I don't know the golden couple personally and I don't know how much interviews/articles count. What I do know was that I had a much better impression of Camilla Martin from a recent article ran by Worldbadminton.net and a not-so-recent one on Chinabadminton, during which a Chinese reporter actually praised her for being open and co-operative.

I mentioned in another thread that I do try, as far as possible, to avoid bashing individual teams or players and I really wouldn't like to create the impression that I'm anti-Camilla just for the heck of it.

As for why her no. 1 ranking has remained, I suppose it has to do with the fact that she participates in a lot more tournaments than the Chinese players. Her recent performances have been less than fantastic, with losses to Zhou Mi in the All-England and Zhang Ning in the Japan Open. It remains to be seen who will actually take the LS World Championship title but for the time being, I tend to think that the Chinese players have gotten her style of play to a pat.

10. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

I'm not saying that CM really tried to ban Chinese players...... i was just saying i heard from somewhere that she tried to ban Chinese players......

Btw, i used to think that CM was pretty hot before till now. Shes lost her "real" beauty.......

Anyways, Camilla has been beaten by several Chinese players...... Its only a matter of time before it happens again

11. Johnny

Johnny Guest

Byro-Nenium wrote:
    >
    > I'm not saying that CM really tried to ban Chinese
    > players...... i was just saying i heard from somewhere that
    > she tried to ban Chinese players......
    >

Yeah, and I'm not saying that's a really lame excuse......... . . .

12. ovk

ovk Guest

Has anyone of you seen the WS final match of the world championships 97 in copenhagen?
    Probably not, cause then you wouldn't call her a sore looser.
    I've seen that match live and I almost cracked under pressure
    just being spectator, cause it was so intense.
    Although Martin had lost her match vs. Dai in the final of the sudirman cup in the setting of the 3rd set (after leading 9-2 and having two matchpoints) just one week ago, she managed to stand the pressure this time, when it looked, if all would come down the same again.
    At 10-10 (Dai to serve for matchpoint)in Camillas first final of a world championship, she was cool enough to not go for the setting and finally won the match.
    Has anyone of you achieved something similar outstanding?
    So please don't bother and just shut up.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Byro,

I would avoid using "racist" with reference to particular people even if it is in speculation. It's a very sensitive issue. You have also taken a non-confirmed report and tried to specualte on further issues from it which may be totally unfounded.

14. Momo

Momo Guest

Right On!!!

(nt)

15. May

May Guest

Yeah. I heard this story too. She thought dat with the Chinese players, there won't be any competition.

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Camilla was actually a very good friend of Ye Zhao Ying

for many years and latter might have confided a lot to former

about going-ons in Chinese squad.Maybe she tried to speak

for Ye or something.

17. Tom

Tom Regular Member

doesn't seem to tally......the last time Ye played Camilla in the AE she blew Martin off the court as if she was dirt.

18. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

Was just wondering if my view on CM being a sore loser because of her occasional blow-ups during matches has sth to do with the image of badminton as a sport. Some yahoo.com journalist referred to it as "ultra-civilised" - not as a compliment, I'm sure. So this is supposedly a sport whereby tempers should not be flaring and seldom do - which is why what CM does seems so "out of order" (at least to me) when we (or I) can watch soccer players fight each other like nobody's business and accept it as being perfectly normal?

That's how I see it at the moment of writing. Am trying to straighten my thoughts out.

19. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Being no.1 is not that easy.......
    Personally, I don't believe she said something like to ban any players. She should mature enough to avoid to say such sensitive stuff. Maybe she is nice off the court, but it doesn't mean she is nice on the court too (maybe she's actually nice on the court too). I don't think she is a sore loser, she is just like other players, can't deal with few Chinese opponents well enough. Guys know, they are so tough,even me....ha...
    If I were CM. I would prefer to ban not only Chinese players, English, Indos, Korean, Swedens, Dans........etc whoever is able to beat me on the court.......(just kidding) smile....

Johnny wrote: "Camilla Martin have NEVER tried to ban any Chinese players!"
    Why are you so sure? Are you CM?

20. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

Yeah mom, i'll be more polite next time......