Warm-up

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by New_Guy04, May 31, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

what's the most effective way to stretch b4 u play, so that ur body will be fully prepared for badminton? which places in ur body needs more stretching and flexibility then others?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I recommend, in this order:

1. Aerobic warmup such as jogging, possibly with some badminton movements incorporated (side jogging, backwards, lunge steps). Do this for at least a minute; for a thorough warm-up, you might increase to 10 minutes.

2. Dynamic stretching, as opposed to static. Stretches can include badminton movements such as lunges. Stetches are NOT to the extreme of your range of motion, nor are they held for more than a couple of seconds AT MOST.

You might like to follow this with some shadow badminton.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    You can either take a hot-tube bath :D or you can start pushing the long clears as the warm ups. ;)

Most of people i know just start pushing the clears when they arrive the gym as the warm-ups.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Sadly this is what happens at almost every club. It's not a very good warm up though!

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I do #1 for about 10mins #2 for about 5mins(practising the first movement, hip roataions, short lunges, I dont do big lunges until warm up for at least 30mins)

I dont do drives to warm up, I practise the swing without shuttle for a few minutes, to get the right mucsles moving gently. I find If you hit clears straight away then your arm doesnt hit correctly, and your muscles can strain.

I dont do shadow badminton until the end of the session, since it is the hardest, and requires the body to be fully warmed up and loose, if I do it too soon then I end up doing it too slow, or with bad flexibility(restricted movments.)

Never skimp on your warm up, or you will regret it sooner or later.

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I think skipping ropes would do just fine for aerobic warmups. Packed one in my bag, but haven't used to for a long time cuz I just couldn't jumping onto the courts for the clears and drives:eek:.

7. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I tend to stretch first. Since stretching cold is not a great idea this is not a full stretch my any means. Just enough to loosen a little. Then I tend to take to the court and start hitting some gentle shots, gradually winding it up a little.

Once I feel warmer I can stretch off properly and then hopefully still have time for a game of danish. This ensures I am mentally sharp as well as physically ready.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A game of Danish? Woop. Care to elaborate further on that:confused:?

9. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Play in half a court, but short of the service line is out, the side tramline is out, and the rear tramline is out. Thus you are playing in a very small space (only play 1 v 1) so it helps raise your consistency and stamina as points tend to last quite a few shots.

We tend to play on one side, then the other, then play diagonally one side (so we both play in the forehand half on our respective sides of the court) then the other.

Switching from straight to diagonals makes quite a change to the game.

We just play each game to seven points. It's good warm-up, especially if you do not play singles at all (which I don't).

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

oh yeah, I after I jog I do 2mins skipping quick, slow, one foot, the other foot. I never start with it though, cause it tends to be quite explosive, and risks an injury.