User Tag List

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ehm..

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    May I ask those who saw the tournament, was there anything different about Sony that led to his success this time? Was he able to overcome the nerves that was evident in the Thomas Cup? Was he more consistently aggressive?

Earlier in this thread there was talk about Sony being too passive and how that may be impossible to change because it is a personality issue rather than a skill issue. However it would seem that Lee Chong Wei has changed his on court personality this year. At the Singapore open he seemed to pose and swagger a little. And he would look deadly serious and put-out if something didnt' go his way (which wasn't often).

Would anyone agree with this impression of LCW? And if so, is there sign of Sony showing more confidence too? If he lets just a little of his dark side out (aggression, ego) he'll be in good shape for the Olympics.
    (i wasn't there to witness his win, live)..
    ..not to take away anything and esp. his win in this IO, and to an extent downgrade the level of competition in this yr's IO, but how many top 10 MS players were competing in this IO??...Sony has the potential, but he just needs to go out there and show his potential consistently and against the best of the best. Again, IMO, it boils down to what's going on in between Sony's ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The top 10 players who were in Jakarta last wee:
    1. Bao Chunlai
    2. Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    3. Peter Gade

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Taufik...^^

..was in Jakarta........................................... ..but he didn't compete...
    Anyway, point is, Sony needs to show up & play more like he did this past week and in last yr's WC, when he went all the way to the Finals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    It is interesting how one can train a powerful physique, teach all the skills, yet still not be able to inculcate that sustained power-of-will required to take the ultimate step to greatness.

Lin Dan is probably unequaled in that drive to suceed. Obviously he has his lapses. But the reason he is #1 is because he is 'hungrier' than anyone else of equal physical and tactical skill.

The question for coaches and psychologists is: can this be taught or do you have to be born with it?
    It is doubtful that it can be taught....just think of retired players (in any sport) who had a Lin Dan-mind, or Taufik-creativity, yet made mediocre coaches.

So, for poor beloved Sony? Sorry, you are probably just too nice to be great.
    Hendrawan said that, "Many said Sony plays really slow...but if he can earn scores out of that, why not?"

It reminds me of Hendrawan himself and Susi. Both were "slow" and defense-type players. They often earned points just because the opponent went weary or got impatient and impulsive and made their own errs.

Gez, it's just a matter of style. IMHO, there's no one type of playing style that is better than other styles. It's all back to everyone's fighting spirit and endurance. So, I'm still optimistic about Sony moving a higher ladder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations Sony and hope you'll get the biggest happiness for your future wedding..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dini_chantik View Post
    Really!!Sony will get married, congratulation sony, hope the girl that you choose is good girl, and you will be happy forever!!!
    Met his girlfriend lately...I believe that Sony may get married next year........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Sony Dwi Kuncoro has finally made it to his dream podium - the winner's platform at the Indonesia Open

It's amazing that, for a player blessed with almost every required trait, Sony has won almost nothing remarkable in his six year career... until today

His highest MS results are:

Winner - Asian Championships 2002
    Winner - Asian Championships 2005
    Winner - Chinese Taipei Grand Prix 2007
    Winner - Indonesia Open 2008

Obviously, this is his biggest win to date

PS: Runner-up at the WC 2007 is big too.
    But that's not as good as Gold!
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..he also won the 2003 Asian Championships, as well as the MS Gold in the SEA Games in 2003 and 2005. But yes, this is his biggest individual tourney he has won, besides the Chinese Taipei Open last yr (which was only a Gold GP event, if i'm not mistaken).
    Quote Originally Posted by badMania View Post
    Add:
    Winner of Asian Championships 2003
    Winner of SEA Games Individual Gold 2003, 2005; and Team Event 2003, 2007.

Bronze of Athens Olympics 2004.
    The standings I gave are, IMHO, the highest yet.

I didn't include the 2003 Asian Championships because China didn't play.
    Similarly, without China, the SEA Games is quite a depleted field

And a bronze is quite an oddity in badminton, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic player, with nice touches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by volcom View Post
    Fantastic player, with nice touches
    and with a high fighting spirit and never say die spirit!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yes..but 2003 wasn't the only yr CHN missed the ABC..

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    The standings I gave are, IMHO, the highest yet.

I didn't include the 2003 Asian Championships because China didn't play.
    Similarly, without China, the SEA Games is quite a depleted field

And a bronze is quite an oddity in badminton, isn't it?
    ..i remember, the 2003 ABC was a controversial one, as CHN squad pulled out at the last minute (they cited the event doesn't award ranking pts etc.)...However, i don't think that should diminish Sony's accomplishment, with or without the CHN squad's presence.

As for the 2005 ABC, the only CHN's MS representatives were Li Yu and Chen Jin. Li Yu was drawn in the same half as Sony. However, guess what happened?? Well, if i'm not mistaken, the CHN squad also withdrew at the last minute. see: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=26654 (post #5) Thus, they weren't able to play. Should we also take out Sony's 2005 ABC title from the list because there weren't any CHN MS players playing??..

As for last yr's Chinese Taipei Open, as far as i remember the MS draw, the only CHN representative was Chen Hong. Even so he was basically playing on his own (technically, he was no longer in the national team); unfortunately if he wanted to play, he had to play under the CHN flag. Further, Sony was on the other half of the draw and Taufik took out Chen Hong, in their own half, to reach the Final. In a way, it wasn't Sony's fault he didn't meet Chen Hong or any CHN player in his own half of the draw.

As for the SEA Games, understood CHN was never a part of those games.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 06-24-2008 at 02:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I ask those who saw the tournament, was there anything different about Sony that led to his success this time? Was he able to overcome the nerves that was evident in the Thomas Cup? Was he more consistently aggressive?
    I watched the tournament live. I saw Sony beat Bao, I think he was more patient this time. Not rushing it with his smashes and just taking it slow. When I told him that he played really well, he just smiled. What a low profile guy

Really!!Sony will get married, congratulation sony, hope the girl that you choose is good girl, and you will be happy forever!!!
    Yeahhh.. I also met his girlfriend. In fact he introduced her to me and my friends *me and my friends are Sony's biggest fans*. She's really pretty and nice. Was broken hearted at first, but I'm glad they're together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Yes, I watched the tournament live for three days. I watched Sony beat Bao Chun Lai. I think this time he was more patient and didn't rush things with his smashes. He usually does that and make unforced errors. When I told him he played well, all he did was smile. Very low profile guy

Yeahhh.. I also met her and he even introduced her to me and my friends *me and my friends are one of Sony's biggest fans*. She's really pretty and friendly. Was broken hearted at first, but trying to get over it now..haha

Anybody else watched Indonesia Open 2008 live? Maybe you may have seen me and my friends. We were wearing a t-shirt with Sony's face on the front and in big red letters"SDK Indonesia" on the back..hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yeaahhh...

I was there. I watched Sony play in the 1st and 2nd round also at the semifinal. I think he was more patient this time, not rushing things with his smashes, that's why he didn't make a lot of mistakes
    When I told him that he played well against Bao, all he did was smile.
    Very low profile guy

Yes, I have met Sony girlfriend and he even introduced her to me and my friends *we are Sony's biggest fan*
    Broken hearted at first, but she's really nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sony is a good player.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sony said that he might get married next year but not sure....

He just celebrated his birthday yesterday ( July 7) and he is 24 now....still have 4 or 5 yrs to go....before retirement...hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a good news for his badminton career. Once married his "4 to 5 yrs" retirement might become "less than 12 months" like you know 'who'....hehe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Belated Happy Birthday, Sony

May the year ahead be kind and generous to you.
    May the month ahead be particularly good for you

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast