Looking at the shuttle vs looking at the opponent(s)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LazyBuddy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think i read an old thread somewhere, but can't remember the detail. And with my poor search skill, I guess i will start a new thread, hope ppl don't mind. If we can locate the related thread(s), please feel free to merge (sorry, kwun/cheung/mag :D )

I have a habit during rallies, as I tend to look at opponents (to predict their movements, etc) rather than looking at the shuttle before my stroke. The advantage is, if I can get a decent stroke, seems my placement is better and more tricky to the opponents. Of course, I am taking a risk of low quality shots myself.

There were more than 1 experienced player(s) pointed my problem, and asked me to look at the shuttle, especially for overhead strokes (clear, smash, slice, etc). I am a little bit confused to "where to draw the line". I know I still need a lot of training, but I wonder when I should look at the shuttle, and when I need to switch to observe my opponent's movement(s), or the other way around.

:rolleyes: :confused: :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thnx kwun!!!

As I am mainly a double player (MD and XD), I also wonder if there's anything different when compare to single games in "watching opponent". :rolleyes:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. in singles, you need to watch one person. in doubles, you need to watch 3 persons: 2 opponents, and your partner!

5. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    That makes you a very busy person on court, indeed. Ideally, if you have partner someone enough times, you should be familiar enough with his/her shot selections to not need to watch him/her all the time.

That leaves only the two fellas on the other court to watch, which is still an eyeful!