Thomas Cup preview

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by ravanelli, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ravanelli

ravanelli Regular Member

Hi Everyone!
    Just wanted 2 tell how I experienced Thomas cup 2004 in Jakarta, encouraged by my friend and practise Buddy Jonas Rasmussen.
    I was selected 4 Thomas cup as number 5 double player, but with 2 so strong men´s as we have, I knew that there probably wasn´t going 2 be much time on court 4 me. Anyway this was the main goal this season, as Michael Lamp (my partner) and I failed 2 quilify 4 the Olympics, ended 17 on the World ranking:mad: .
    I had heard from the old danish players that Thomas Cup, was the biggest thing one could ever play, and especially in Indonesia as the spectators should be fantastic.
    When we had been in Indonesia a couple of days, it feld like Badminton was a hole other sport. It was so big, and everywhere we came people knew that we was the danish Thomas cup team. That was very different from Denmark where the only famous people r Gade and Camilla.
    I played the first match against England as Martin had some problems with his knee, Jens and I won easily.
    After another 2 easy matches we, as u probably know, had 2 play Indonesia. I arrived 2 the match 15 min before it started, when I entered the Stadium, it was so amazing, 15.000 people dancing and singing, when they saw us, they just started buuuuuuuuuuing, but it was with a smile on there faces. I just had goosebums all over it was so amazing. Winning was just the best even though I did not play. I was just so proud over the mens double, the guys was fantastic..
    It was of course very sad that we couldn´t beat China, it could had been good fun return 2 Denmark beeing World team champions. But credit 2 China, they r good.
    It was the best badminton experience I have had so fare, really hoping Thomas Cup will return 2 Jakarta, awesome place. Also very nice trying 2 be a superstar 4 14 days.
    Hope u guys liked my little story about Thomas Cup from my piont of veiw, I could go on 4 hours, as it was so great.
    Greetings Mathias Boe
    Ps I saw a debate about the greatest men´s double player. I think by fare Tony Gunawan!!! He was so good, and very diffecuelt 2 play.:cool:

Attached Files:

• mabo.jpg
      mabo.jpg
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
    • Boe2.bmp
      File size:
      140.7 KB
      Views:
  2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Excellent story! :D

Welcome to BadmintonForum! Very nice to hear you enjoy Indonesia's hospitality there. There was debate in the forum on how unfriendly the crowd would be against Indonesia's opponent. It's great to hear you enjoyed their energy and respect.

-dave

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thanks Mathias for sharing your experience with us, it must have been really great playing in Jakarta, I would have loved to be there too...

Nice to see that yet another international player is joining this forum, it looks like we'll soon have the complete MD danish team!! :D:D:D

4. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Great my friend!!

Hi Matias or Ravanelli!!

Great that you´ve joined the forum. I didn´t expect you to write so soon on the forum after we talked.

I just want to tell all on the forum that Matias is a fan Juventus so don´t dare to critize them or you´ll have Matias on your back!!!!

Hope you welcome Matias here as you did with Laybourn and me!!

Kind Regards

JR

5. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Mathias,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see yet another member of the Danish national team on here!
    I'm coming out to the International Badminton Academy in October for 2 months, i was wondering if perhaps you along with Jonas and Thomas fancied meeting up one night after training and show me around Copenhagen? Would be great to meet you all socially.

Kind regards,
    Matt

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Welcome Mathias! a JV FAn. See you more often here.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Mathias, welcome to the forum! And thanks for the inside story!

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :p
    A warm welcome to you Mathias from Singapore!

I knew the excitement and atmosphere in Jakarta will be so different as you described it and I was disappointed that I had to miss the once-in-a badminton-fan's lifetime experience.

Hope you can continue to contribute your ideas and suggestions to our Forum. And of course, continue to train hard, because we will be watching out for you and celebrating your success together. :)

9. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Thats the way mate, nice to see you writing such a long message, hope you will post more of the interesting stories for everybody.

Maybe people can answer you questions in a new thread, if you like offcourse but i´m sure there is alot of people who wants to ask you questions.

Just an idea....

See you at practise tomorrow :D

Lay

10. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    hi mathias *waves hand*

welcome to this forum! i am eva from the jakarta post :D
    yes i have seen you playing :D too bad you didn't play that much during the cup huh? next time probably! :D too bad i didn't have the chance to talk to you during your practice session LOL although me and my friend - the radiojournalist nita (still remember her jonas?) was practically "stalking" the danish team during practice hours LOOOOL :D :D :D

talk to you later

eva!

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    By the way, Mathias, when I visited the Copenhagen Masters in December, I saw your partner Michael Lamp eating a burger and fries in McDonald's. Tell him to stop eating that crap, and you guys will rise 10 slots in the world ranking immediately! :D

(OK, so he wasn't playing in the event but we all know that there is no such thing as leisure time for a top athlete, yes? :p )

But seriously now, do you guys have a nutritionist? How regulated is your food intake?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hi!

Great to know a bit about yourself. Haven't had the pleasure of seeing you play yet :p

And you agree with me about Tony G being so great..cool..

13. flint

flint Regular Member

Hi Mathias what did you think of the food? i heard a couple of your team mates, example Peter and Rikke had some tummy problems. Was it true? Were you affected? :D

14. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Rasmussen, Boe, Laybourn, I have to say we have quite an impressive representation here of top doubles players. I have a question for all of you, whenever you get around to it.
    What do you all do to calm your nerves? I find when I play in tournament situations, I'm often nervous, and of course it impacts my game in a negative way. I miss shots that I normally make, and especially my clarity of thought is not right on, and so i find myself just getting the birdie back rather than having an idea of where I want to place it. So, what are some things you do to calm yourself down so that you can play your game well?
    Thanks in advance,
    Gregory

15. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hey Blckknght

Well its a very good question because its a really important matter. Here is my opinion:

What really works good for me is listening to some music who sets your mind thinking of what this live is all about. I know it might sounds a little wierd but its important not to focus to much on your game. You have to get your mind on to something else because othervise it will be everything or nothing if you win or lose.

You have to enjoy every moment of you game as well your life, and thats what works for me. I tried it so many times that i´m to nervous to play my best, and i have really worked alot on this matter, but i can still improve i think.

I´m also using mental training alot, again to set my life in perspective and just enjoy every minite of it, and especially when i´m practising or in a tournament.

Another little trick is to find something you always to when you play, it could be rubbing your nose, turning your racket in the hand etc. and when you do that then remind yourself that you must relax and enjoy your game.

Hope you undestand what i mean, with all my responses.

Thomas

16. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Thanks Thomas,
    I will try what you suggested. What about the others, Jonas, or Mathias? What do you all do to calm your nerves?
    thanks,
    Gregory
    ps - has anyone asked Michael Lamp if he would like to answer some questions?