Buying Grommets

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Goggles, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Goggles

Goggles Regular Member

Student
    I have recently started stringing and after receiving some rackets from other people, have noticed the awful condition of a lot of grommets which obviously need to be replaced. When looking online, I found that there are many different sizes of grommet, and even different sets for particular rackets, so my question is, are there any 'standard' grommets that can be used on all rackets?

Thanks.

2. phili

phili Regular Member

I use grommets with 2.1 mm diameter for non-shared and 2.7 mm for shared holes. The 2.7 mm ones should be too long otherwise you need to cut them shorter, around 65 mm should be good. I rarely need the u-shaped grommets for the bottom of the frame because those are really durable. But if you want to buy those as well you should look for 2.1 mm diameter, as for the length you need two differen ones: 13 mm + 11 mm and 9.3 mm + 9.3 mm.

All of those are being sold by mybadmintonstore.com for a good price and quality. I ordered my new shipment of grommets from aliexpress but I don't know how good they are so I can't recommend them just yet.

3. Goggles

Goggles Regular Member

Student
    Thanks, very helpful!

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

5. panther_v

panther_v Regular Member

i also got this same box from aliexpress. this one has a selection of different size/length grommets. i also got a 220v soldering iron to widen the share hole grommets.

6. honfaai

honfaai New Member

Just a "top up" question to the thread that has been started, does everyone normally just remove the existing grommet and replace it with the new one manually? Or is there any kind of tool to remove the grommets and then somesort of "gun" to insert the replacement/new ones?

I would like to replace the fleet of grommet from my own racquets but often get demotivated as there's so many... ending up procrastinating on it (and still do...)

Thanks guys!

*PS: Sorry for hijacking your threat, OP

7. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I was going to write out something long but it's easier to just leave this here

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/140620-Grommet-Turning-and-Removal

I have both types of grommet remover, but the awl-style is much quicker and removes most grommets in one go. It is also great for turning them. The bigger remover only comes into play with weakened or split grommets that won't work with the awl-style without risk of marking the frame.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

For removing grommets I was taught an easy technique which works very well for me. All credits and copyright(?) for this technique are with [MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION] (or whoever has shown it to him...). So a big thanks for sharing it in the first place and I hope that I don't reveal one of your big family secrets here. :D

All you need is a drywall screw aka SPAX screw. I'm not sure which size I'm using - I just tried some of which I found lying around until I was happy with it. You can also use different sizes if you are using it on single pass or shared grommets.

Step 1: You take the Spax and screw it carefully from the outside of the frame into the grommet you want to replace. Just use your hand, you don't need a screwdriver. It's enough to insert the screw only a 1-2 millimeters since you won't need to apply a lot of force afterwards. Screwing it in too deeply will cause the grommet to widen inside the frame and either blocking it from coming out or in a worst case damaging the frame.

Step 2: Once the screw is in and you feel like the thread has grabbed the grommet, you simply pull it out with the screw.
    Single pass grommets normally come out without any issues whatsoever. With shared grommets it could happen that you firstly need to cut off the inner widened part of the grommet tight with the frame using a flat cutter.

I have a grommet grinder too somewhere but since I got used to this Spax-technique I haven't needed it a single time again. It's even possible to remove split grommets or grommets that have lost their head that way.

#8 s_mair, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    [MENTION=113405]s_mair[/MENTION] Why didn't you mention my method for real difficult issues with damn old grommets, which are broken outside? ;)

IMO the mbs grommets are mediocre. The single pass grommets are great for that price. The shared holes ones are not good. Old grommet system + mbs grommets + thin string and high tension will lead to easily splitted heads and strings will cut into the frame. Especially A8 to A11 are prone to these issue.

The new thick head grommets in the JS10 and older YY grommets are damn great. The never YY grommets have slimmer heads, which are thicker than mbs one, but slimmer than the old ones. FME the older YY Grommets and the ones in the JS10 are the holy grail for high tension and thin strings in 72 holes rackets.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have also tackled some of those completely headless remainings with the Spax-technique with full and immediate success. So up now I haven't needed the extra-special technique (...it was the one with the small slotted screwdriver, right?).

IMO for high tensions, nothing tops the special grommets from [MENTION=64143]JJ0907[/MENTION] => http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/157934-L-shape-amp-square-head-grommets

They cost 5 or even 10 times the price of the MBS grommets but are just senstational. I have received the T-shaped grommets for the really small single pass holes and they are great. I will post some pictures after I have equipped my JS10 with them. :)

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I think I will upgrade my JS10 with the ZFII grommets.

I'm curious which grommets [MENTION=11783]Mark A[/MENTION] runs in his JS10 with the No.1 @ these freaky pulls and what Grommets KGJ gets? Please, please share.:)

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If the ZFII strips fit on the JS10, then please post some pictures of the result. That would be an interesting mod to try.

13. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    That would be interesting, although I expect it would affect the balance slightly. I love stringing ZF2's, the strips make it so easy and quick, no need for scrap string.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Would that make it a JS10 E-Tune

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Nah. Ruining the great aerodynamics of the JS10 with clumpsy gold bits is forbidden under penalty of death. I will give the ZF2 grommets a run if my string breaks and I have time. Can send you a set of these grommets if you are curious. ;)

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

True that. It would be a bit like loading 500 kg concrete into the trunk of a Ferrari and then wondering why has become a worse car than before.

But even adding the strips should increase the head weight a little bit I would think. Although with slim to none influence on aerodynamics. Interesting....

So you do the prototype testing first and I will follow up if the result is promising!