Penta Premium 3600 - My clamps keep rotating? Have I set something up wrong?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Charlie-SWUK, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    So when I'm putting tension on the strings, I get the machine roughly in line, string in the gripper, drop the weight back and tension as necessary.

When I put my clamps on, they sometimes twist the string a bit, from like a | to a slight / angle. It's not all the time, mostly near the edges. I can also see my clamps dropping a lot of tension, even though I'm putting a flying clamp behind it.

I'm tightening the base screw so the base turns and locks into the right direct, and I'm clamping and tightening the clamps properly. Am I doing something wrong here?

2. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I know how you feel! I have the 8600 which has the same turntable. I don't think you doing anything wrong, the bases are very basic... only thing to do is tighten the base-handles even harder. But those bases needs to be clean offen to work ok, get some alcohol and clean the rails and on the under-side of the bases should help a bit.
    image.jpg

#2 Super85, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    [MENTION=99012]Super85[/MENTION]
    Do you know of any better clamps available for this machine?

4. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

My machine was deliverd with the tennis clamps so I had to buy the badminton one's...guess you have the same. I actually like those, but you can try Spinfire V50 hybrid clamps... I have them on my new machine, they should give you a level up.

#4 Super85, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    So I'm pretty sure some of the movement is coming from my clamping positions rather than the clamps themselves now, the twisting is a bit of a concern, but honestly I think it's the support structure getting in the way providing bad clamping positions.

I really need to find some money to order some Chudek supports. The supports are too small and the structure is too narrow to clamp well. This machine is turning out quite costly. :(

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Again, can you please post pictures of your machine with a racket mounted and a the clamps in detail?

The PS3600 is used by a lot of badminton stringers and it's the first time that I read something about supports our other parts cause issues to clamp the strings properly. Chudek supports are of course very nice and an improvement compared to the original supports, but you should still be able to comfortably string rackets without them.

7. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Aha...now I know what you mean!. I hope you're useing a badminton-adapter on 12 o'clock, but try one on 6 o'clock to can give you more contact and some extra stability with the frame.

Chudek supports is not a bad investment anyway.

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I use a load spreader if that's what you're asking.

IMG_0630.jpg IMG_0631.jpg

As you can see with the supports, the metal part gets in the way of the clamp. The contact on the supports.. I'm not very keen on. It's hard to get string past the support. I feel like the Chudek supports would resolve both of these problems, with the support itself being longer, the metal frame wouldn't be so close to the racket. It's also just a better shape.

9. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Aha! A picture paints a thousand words... turn your side supports 180 degrees. The side you are using is for tennis rackets.

10. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Oh! Good, because here is someting wrong. You are now useing the tennis side of the side-supports...turn them 180* and test the badminton side of the supports!

I meant, if you have two badminton adapters...try use both on 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, that can give some extra stability in mounting position.

11. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

emjay quicker than me! :)

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I wish the documentation had indicated that; I had my suspicions but I didn't want to deviate from the documentation in case it damaged the racket.

As for the 12 and 6, my 12 has a load spreader, using one on the 6 snapped it.

Also on the 12 & 6, I'm trying to keep the support as close to 90 degrees as possible; is this correct?

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Hehe... that was fairly easy to solve then. I had this thought crossing my mind already when you mentioned the supports getting in the way of the clamps for the first time but didn't dare to suggest the obvious.

But apart from that - if you have some bucks to spend, then go for a set of Chudeks. Worth every penny and the best badminton-related upgrade you can get.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Maybe if I start making a little money off the machine first :D

And yeah the thought about the supports had crossed my mind, but every picture I looked up showed them that way, so I figured it had to be the right way.

15. TigerSmash

TigerSmash Regular Member