What new strings should i get?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cameron McNab, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Cameron McNab

Cameron McNab Regular Member

Hello, im a intermediate 13 year old player. In probably the 8th best in my school. I have been noting the strings on my racket aren't as tight as they were before and im getting less power on my smashes. I have a Yonex Volrix Pegasus with a recommended string tension of 18-24lb. I am a player that likes no loves to smash. Are there any good strings that have good durability because i don't want to keep on spending money on strings, but are also good for smashing.

2. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    For Yonex strings, I'd consider BG65 and BG80. BG65 being the economical and durable choice. BG80 is for power.

For Ashaway, I highly recommend any ZyMax string. My go to ZyMax string is the ZyMax62 Fire, but a lot of people here also like the ZyMax 65 and Zymax 66 Fire. They're all economical compared to Yonex strings, but powerful.

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Cameron, strings are expensive in Nova Scotia.:(
    Of the small choice available in the local sports stores, I recommend BG-80. Great for happy-smashers.:)

Chances are that you have a junior club player at your school who might let you try out their racket/strings before you make a final decision. Good luck!

4. Cameron McNab

There is always online stores Fidget so what would you recommend over all?

5. vibgyor1111

vibgyor1111 Regular Member

Bg 80, nanogy 98, and the new aerosonic. All are very repulsive. 98 is very durable. 80 is pretty good for durability. I've just started using aerosonic. Quite durable for such a thin string, but not as good as the previous two. Waiting to try li ning #1. It's supposed to have good power and retention as well.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

He's playing plastic, so I'd suggest stick to thick strings like BG65.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

If you are a rich man you can order a smorgasbord of strings online and serially try them all.:rolleyes: But I would still advise BG80 to start. It is is a hard string to dislike. Good power, good control.

Personally I'm a fan of Ashaway Zymax 62 and BG85. If you want to try either of those (which you'd be hard pressed to find in this old town) then PM me and perhaps I can get some to you.
    (You just gotta promise not to defeat my kids if you meet them at the local schools tournament).:p

8. Bugbait

Bugbait Regular Member

Prior to Aerosonic my go to string was BG80P (or BG80 in a pinch). As above I would recommend either version of BG80 or BG65Ti. The BG65Ti is my default string for people who don't know what they like. It's a firmer string than the base BG65 at the same price. Decent all round string with good durability.

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I suggest BG65 @20-21lbs. BG65 should be everywhere available and should fit the bill. Anything thinner won't be durable enough with plastics. Zymax strings are pretty good, but depending on your location not easy to get.

10. Cameron McNab

So ive narrowed it down to BG65 or BG65Ti witch of the two lasts longer and or is more durable.

11. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    They're very similar, the BG65Ti has a little more power, and BG65 is more durable.

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

In Nova Scotia you can be sure to find BG65 in the stores.
    Any locally available BG65Ti is going to be more expensive at a store, or from a private stringer.
    For your circumstances (not a pro, not 30lb+ tension) durability will be essentially equal.

The vital question is that of feel.
    BG 65 is a very good string. It is sort of the "baseline" feel from which many compare other strings. So, for example, BG65Ti is a "stiffer" string compared to BG65.
    For some that gives a nice crisp feedback which gives them a sense that the bird goes right where they want it. But others feel that a softer string gives them a better feel and power. It is not a "better-worse" scenario; just a matter of taste. Give either a whirl and see what you think. :)