Defence against Smashes.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sullie, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Sullie

Sullie New Member

G'day i've been playing for a while now, and I seem to have trouble defending against fast smashes, especially on my backhand side...

Basically what i have been trying to do is (im left handed too btw) when the opponent is getting ready for a smash i move to the right side of the court (if i am on the right side) or i move to the center side of the court if i am on the left hand side so that I can defend it a bit easier with my forehand...

Anything else I should be doing?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Hi Sullie, you're not the lovable blue monster are you? ;)

You can do a search on BF on the topics you want, ala Google by using the Search function above.

Here's one related thread that I found via the Search function.

Best way to improve defense?

"Mike Wazowski!"

3. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Try learning to defend on the backhand, it's a much harder stance to smash through.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    For all defense the key is early prepartion and I find keeping the elbows out from the body and bending the knees works best, so you are lower down and the racket is out from your body.

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

don't forget the split-step (more for singles than doubles, I suppose)

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    it sounds like you can defend on your forehand side....which is good. I think the backhand is easier to learn due to the body interactions making it easier to snap the arm and wrist on the backhand from a lower position. Just practice your backhand, getting more consistent, and also change your grip to halfway inbetween the forehand and backhand. This makes changing to the right grip much quicker-and a forehand grip on your backhand side is not much use:)

7. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Get a partner to do some drop shots, and you reply with some backhand clears; the motion for smashes is quite similar.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    And the TheGr8Two meant backhand lifts to the rearcourt, backhand clears is an overhead backhand stroke hit high up baseline to baseline.

Then when this is looking ok, get your partner to stand on a bench and hit steep smashes at you for as long as he can to see if you hold up.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Practice more fast drives, been your knees and keep your racket in front on you with the rackethead pointing at NNW. North-North West if you are right handed.

10. Sullie

Sullie New Member

Thanks for all the tips guys :)

Btw, i should have searched first, but i flicked through a few pages and couldn't find any threads on defence so i guess I made one :) :p

11. dragon62

dragon62 Regular Member

Hey im lefty too!! basically what i did was play video games to improve reflex speed...

Then I found that if i stayed flatfooted it would take me more time to move to the smash.

Tilt your body forward so your in a stance that helps you recieve, hope that helps

12. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    lefty as well. hehe

For me, I might actually stand closer to the middle and might even lean a bit to the left. I know recieving wise, I am very strong at recieving smashes coming towards me. The ones that are going down the sides, I cannot get the forehand as much, so I concentrate there, knowing I instinctively react with my backhand anyway.

My coach told me don't back up. I haven't learned to not yet...but I try not to back up too much.

Also, keep on your toes...it really helps when you have to spring. And catching a smash...somteims is 50% luck...where you think the bird'll go before the hit...and maybe 50% even when you antecipate where the bird'll go just after the shot.

13. korrinne price

korrinne price Regular Member

chef and badminton coach
    great advice!!! backhand is so much easier to defend with it doesnt matter if you are left or right handed backhand is the only way to defend!!! Keep pratising and you will improve so much.

14. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Stepping to the right when the bird is on the right means you have to defend with your back hand. If thats what you want. But from what I noticed, most pros do that and they only hold a back hand on defense. But note the racket is pointed towards the shuttle , not clearly on the back hand side.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I wonder why people kept smashing at the backhand side of the defender despite it being usually a stronger side of the two. Even with the most seasoned player, forehand side is usually weaker and not tested as much as the other side. Note some pros defend their forehand side with backhand strokes, it would be very awkward to turn for forehand defense. Dropping and smashing to forehand side and clearing to backhand side will likely put the opponent in trouble (mileage may varies:D).

#15 cappy75, Jun 18, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2004