A fanatic dane in Luxembourg

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by hatecapletters, Jun 3, 2004.

1. hatecapletters

hatecapletters Regular Member

System developer
    Hi there,

I'm a 37 year old dane located in Luxembourg (that's an independant country in Europe, for those of you who aren't familiar with it ;) ).

My badminton history in my youth is pretty standard - started early, dropped out when I started noticing girls for more than their mixed-doubles skills :), and never really went back to the game, but spend all my free time playing tournament ten-pin bowling,

3 years ago, after a break of 15 years away from the game, I moved to a part of Luxembourg where I would have had to drive for hours to get to a bowling alley, but they did (and still do) have an active badminton club in the area. Out of the need for some kind of physical regular exercise (I work full time with computer-programming, and my belly and pulse rate shows it !) I went to practice, and what do you know - I fell in love with the game all over. In fact, I'm pretty sure I never was as crazy about the game in my youth as I am now :D

Badminton in Luxembourg is not very big, the national sport here being nine-pin bowling ("Kegeln"), go figure ;) , but this small country actually do have produced an amazing amount of world champions in this sport, so.... At least we have a national federation, under IBF, with a league system and cup-matches for club teams. We also have a "Masters Tournament" for individuals and doubles. The homepage of the federation is www.feluba.lu. (and the homepage of my club is www.bcwolz.org, should you be interessted ;) ).

The one really big problem in luxembourgish badminton is the lack of female players. 19 out of 20 clubs have many male players who would like to play on a team in the leagues, but they don't have enough female players (here a team consists of 4-5 male players and 2-3 female players).

When playing badminton in Denmark I never ever thought about the choice of material, but since, more by accident than anything else, I experienced a huge bust in my own performance when I bought a new racket, I've become very interessted in this topic, and hope to learn a lot more about it here :) .

I've just ordered my very first stringing machine (Victor's M2003), and I hope I'll be able to learn a lot about choice of strings and tension through experimenting around, and from this forum.

take care and have fun
    hatecapletters

BTW, the nickname only refers to people typing in all uppercase :cool:

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    welcome to BF hatecapletters, you found the right place if you're a badminton fanatic as you say! :D

(and I agree with your nickname! ;) )

3. hatecapletters

System developer
    fanatism certificate

HI Seven,

thanks for the welcome (that was quick lol).

I'm so fanatic that I'm trying to form a summer practice community for all fanatics in Luxembourg. Most players/clubs have completely stopped practice from the end of may to the beginning of september, but I need MORE !!!!! (you can tell by the uppercases that I'm serious here :cool: ). I hope to get a nice mix of skills and genders together, so that we can keep having effective practice sessions all summer long.

How is it elsewhere, do you all make that long a break ?!?!

take care all
    hatecapletters

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I usually don't take any break during summer (my club is open all year long), but I think it might be different this summer as I have been spending A LOT of time in badminton this year, and I REALLY need a break if I want to maximize my motivation for next season! :eek: (you can tell by the uppercases that I'm serious here too! haha :D )

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonCentral/BadmintonForum! :D

-dave

6. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Welcome, I'm with seven, we have two breaks over the year, 2 weeks for Easter, and two weeks for Christmas, that's it.

Wow another person who actually capitalises the first letter of each sentence, maybe we can try to drag up the standard of grammar on this site ;)

7. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    heeeeeeeelloooooooooo

hello hatecapletters

(it's difficult to remember your nickname!)
    i am eva from jakarta, indonesia and i am glad to have you here in this forum. although i am not the moderator *glances a sneaky look to kwun LOL* but i feel like i "own" this forum too HEHE :D

hope you enjoy your stay here *wink*

8. hatecapletters

System developer
    Nice to feel welcome

Grammar ?!?! What's grammar ?!?! lol

ChesireCat >> Not to worry, I plan to be all over this site from now on, so you'll learn it soon enough ;)

Thank you all for the nice welcome, and it's nice to hear that it isn't "normal" to have as long a summer break as we have here :)

take care all
    hatecapletters

9. ManuelUK

ManuelUK Regular Member

Bank
    Hi Hatecapletters,

Where do you play in Luxembourg, which club? is it Wolz? ;)
    Regards,
    Manuel

10. hatecapletters

System developer
    Hi Manuel, yes I play in B.C.Wolz, do you it ?

take care
    hatecapletters

11. ManuelUK

ManuelUK Regular Member

Bank
    Hi hatecapeletters,

I play in Schifflange, but currently in the UK.
    I try to come over here and then!! I miss all the good coaching and training possiblities from Luxembourg. The way they train here in the UK is not so good, or not the way I am used to it. Only playing doubles does not improve my game a lot.
    Manuel

12. hatecapletters

System developer
    well, you've had the luck of playing in one of the more serious clubs in Luxembourg. We have no regular coach in Wolz, a former european youth champion from Russia does help out, but he's not there on a regluar basis. I think it is in Luxembourg as in most other countries - it depends on the club you play in. I'm pretty sure you could find a club in the UK where they do excellent training as well. What I really miss here is dedicated badminton arenas, without the lines for many other sports on the floor. The arena in Wolz is actually the best in that regard, but the floor is so bumpy you could almost stage a downhill ski race on it (only "slightly" exaturated ;) )

If you come to Luxembourg in the summer send me message and you can come up and try it for yourself :)

take care
    hatecapletters