Personal badminton stories...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kianhe, Jun 4, 2004.

1. kianhe

kianhe New Member

RESEARCH EXEC
    Dear all,

I did a search like the moderators said, but found nothing on this subject..
    So i hope you all will contribute coz i think it'll be fun

The broad topic is:
    ' you own personal stories relating to badminton' - or someone else you know who wouldnt mind it being told...

e.g. My own personal badminton story

i think it was possibly the 1988 Thomas Cup, (not sure which year, only vaguely remember) my whole family (dad & 3 sis, my mum wont bother) was watching the game on TV - i think it was Malaysia vs China, half way through there was a power cut!! Arrggghhh
    it was a total bummer... but we were so into the game that we got into the car to listen to the game on radio.. (there was a live commentry on the game..) luckily before then end, power came back on so we could continue to watch...

sigh.. nostalgia

so tell your stories...

injuries, winning, defeat, love, cute, funny, embarrassing etc..

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Someone figured I should post this here...

What I love is going to a new club who have no clue who I am (and most the time I'm one of very few white guys on the court) , play it low key and then unload a boomer.

The

:eek:

look is priceless.

I did that at the San Gabriel Valley in L.A. I was playing on of the of the lower courts and unloaded a couple big bombs. The one guy promptly walked off the court, appeared a minute later with two other dudes (and I'm thinking I'm going to get into a scrap for pegging someone with a bird) who immediatly dragged me off got dragged to "top court".

Having a massive smash and strong backhand go a long way to covering my comlete and utter lack of finess.

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Believe it or not I slept over in my high school gym during one of the summer open gyms. Who doesn't love the romantic idea of playing badminton till sunrise. :cool:

hrmmmm.......guess i didn't really fall asleep if i remember right! :eek:

4. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer

Since I do know the guy who posted this li'll thread, heres my addition to the thread count heheheh

a) Injuries - The worst injury I suffered was getting hit on my head by an overzealous partner! He went for a backcourt clear (I was a beginner then) and I went for the same shot...Result? I actually blacked out from the pain - crazy thing was that my head was okay while my partner's Carbonex 8 was bent out of shape...

b) Winning - Most "winning" moment was when I delivered the winning point in an interteam final at school playing mixed doubles - was a lovely atmosphere with much cheering and shouting - and it happened after I lost every game I played before the finals.

c) Love - I feel in "love" with badminton due to my best bud - he introduced me to it in a small little church hall, played my first game on a mosaic court...was duely drubbed 15-0!

d) Cute - Its cute how some guys upped their game when their gf are around...

e) Funny - Its funny how people dont believe I play decent badminton in spite of my large size. Seeing their amazed faces after the game is a priceless moment.

f) Embarassing - It happened at a company sports carnival, I went for a big big smash and promptly send my racket flying across the hall... :p

And there you go...

5. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

playing outside in the summer .. at night under the street lights :cool:

years ago some guy just came up ot me and offered to be my coach cuz he was bored or something... i tripled my badminton knowledge in only a few weeks.. i offered to pay him many times but he always said no... i learned more from him in about 5 sessions than i did playing for 4 years before that.

onetime i played a guy who was much better than me and actually won LOL .. he had one of the most powerfull smashes i've seen from anyone around here...i can't really explain why but my smash defence was unbelievable .. he would almost gasp after cracking 3 of them at me which i got all back :eek: ... i've never had that experience again since

seeing really great singles and doubles live for the first time ..where ppl actually clapped cuz the points were so exciting and hard fought.....watching sun jun vs rasmussen for the first time on a vhs tape i ordered ... the first great pro match i ever saw.. i've probly wached the whole 2hr30 min match about ten times since....eheh

one time me and a friend of mine were invited to play with some chinese players.. at a chinese students intermural thing... they were really good and it was probly my first taste of good doubles .... i always hated doubles until that night :D

the best story is yet to come though... it will happen when i learn to play my best game..and perhaps my first perfect game....when i learn not to get angry at myself for mistakes...when i get the consistency of the better players and a better backhand so i can actually beat some of them.. Looking forward to it :D

#5 wedgewenis, Nov 21, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004