What a shame!!!!

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by hm..., May 31, 2001.

1. hm...

hm... Guest

Two teams, Korea and Denmark, Both shameless.

Look at what their head coach said after the game with INA:
    "If we wanted, we could have defeated Indonesia in the round-robin. But we didn't do that because we prefer to see China in the semifinals," Larsen was quoted as saying by Antara

What Korea head coach said was even more shameless, "If we wanted, we could have beat China already. When we lead in the first set of mixed double, I made instructions to our players through my gesture to order them to give up. We lost on purpose."

That's enough! What Korea and Denmark head coaches proud of are just piles of @!#$.

Can anyone else give me such sportsmanship in any other sports.

Everyone knows that IBF is stupid, but it is not the excuss for those behavior. Everything associated with Badminton is so corrupted. There seems no hope for it, even though badminton itself is such a graceful pasttime.

2. BaMBaM

BaMBaM Guest

Either its BS or perhaps its just strategy.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hm...
    Corrupted? Imagine what if the tournamnents involved prize money !

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

they prefer to see China????.....what stupidity of Larsen to say that.
    he thinks his team can win all the MS, MD and MXD ????????
    his tean will surely lose the WS & WD and :-
    gade vs xinpeng........50:50
    their MD vs Zhang/Zhang........50:50
    their MXD vs Zhang /Gao.........40:60.
    Go figure out & see who will win.......

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    It's bullshit when used by the teams you DON'T support, and strategy when used by the teams you DO. Go figure.

Btw, this is not the worst the Koreans have done. During the 96 Thomas Cup, they wanted to conserve energy for a match with Malaysia, so they fielded all their doubles players in the singles and their singles players in the doubles during their match against China. They lost 0-5 but went on to beat the Malaysians, if I'm not wrong.

6. Johnny

Johnny Guest

Well according to what Larsen have said earlier he would rather face China because against them the danes have a fair chance in all the games exept the LD (he don't think the LS lost in advance and neither do I), but against the Koreans the danes would have a tough time in alle the doubles...

7. DC

DC Guest

What have the tactics used by national team coaches got to do with IBF?!

8. hm...

hm... Guest

Hey, Is there any moral obligations for the teams, coaches and players?

Maybe there are regulations and policies in other sports to punish such behaviour. When players playing not for win, but for lose, do you, as a fan, feel cheated? No matter you support them or not.

Maybe there are some such thing in other sports, but I have never seen anyone proud of it. I only saw people denying it. I did see some investigation before to investigate whether or not players playing for lose. Proud of it in public media is purely immoral.

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

As I've said before in previous posts on this issue, any participant (player or coach) in any sport should have enough respect for the game, for the team and for the fans to give full effort in every serious competition. I think the IBF should enforce some rules to insure integrity and sportspersonship. I would propose the following:

1. All teams must field at least 50% of their top ranked players in any particular match, with those players competing in the particular event in which they are ranked highest (i.e., can't have top ranked singles players doing doubles matches, with the doubles experts being forced to play singles). It's ok to rest a few of the players for a particular match, but teams shall not be allowed to "throw" matches solely by playing only their weakest members, even if those players do give 100% effort.

2) If any team is shown by clear and convincing evidence to have manipulated the results of a match by violating Rule 1 or by instructing players not to compete with full effort, 50% of that team's coaching staff, including the head coach, shall be suspended from all further coaching and team-related activities for the next 12 months. A suspended coach may not attend any team tournaments, matches, practices or non-social team events of any kind and nature during the term of duration, nor may the coach offer any coaching or training instruction or advice to any of the individual members of the team.

3) To promote enforcement of these policies, any coach, player or team staff member who reports to the IBF a violation of the competitive sportspersonship rules that results in an investigation of the team, is given a protected "whistleblower" status. All persons receiving such status may not be removed from the team for any reason except extreme moral turpitude (i.e., conviction of a serious crime) during the period between the date of the report to the IBF and twelve months from the date that the IBF issues a decision on the rules infraction. Furthermore, if the IBF determines there have been violations of the competiveness rules, any team members, coaches or team staff obtaining "whistleblower" status shall, during the second and third full years following the issuing of a decision by the IBF, not be removed from the team for any reasons, except moral turpitude and for players, failure to maintain competitiveness as determined by play in team membership competitions held in the regular course of team operations. No individual obtaining "whistleblower' status may be subject to any deprivation of rights, including compensation and benefits, previously afforded to that team member nor any other benefits awarded to the whole team, nor shall that individual be subject to physical or verbal abuse or harassment by any coach or other member of the team.

4) Any team wilfully failing to enforce the above disciplinary rules, upon a competitiveness rules violation decision by the IBF, shall be suspended from all IBF events and tournaments for a period of two years.

10. hm...

hm... Guest

good points

11. Ken

Ken Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I think Danes would like to face China rather than Korea. As Johnny mentioned, they have the fair chance in the MS, MD, and XD. Well, about WS, I guess it should be 40:60. If CM performs well and Chinese girls fall, maybe Danes will get that valuable one point.

I don't know whether the coach of Korean team really said his team was intensively lost to China, but I didn't think so. Danes was more likely. If he really want to lose, he wouldn't use his best XD and WD and played 3 sets to against China. He could hide both teams like Lee Hyun II in MS for the semi.

12. hm...

hm... Guest

There are always so many people equaling immoral to smart

13. david

david Guest

Contrary to hm...

Some teams/countries do have strategy in mind. They may have several reasons: to conserve energy, to play against a 'weaker' opponent in the semis. This is part of sport!! There is nothing shameful about it.

If the team/country decides to give excuses when they lose, it's alright too.
    And we have to respect that.