Scissor jump?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alzgodemort, Jun 4, 2004.

1. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    I was just wondering if you guys use the block jump or the scissors jump (I hope I spell it correctly)
    Or maybe you do not jump

Personnaly I like to jump ALOT... :D Most of the time I use the scissor jump but when I have enough time, I jump like 10 feets in the air and use deception to my avantage (people are most of the time waiting for a smash)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i believe i know what you mean by scissors jump, but can you explain what you mean by block jump?

3. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    a scissor jump is when your legs do like a scissor in the air...

block jump is explained in this video (I don't know if it is still available)
    http://www.aspxnet.co.uk/badmintonforum/footwork.zip

Anyway it means that you jump in the air (lets say with the right leg behind) and when you fall, your legs are still in the same position...
    ie: you do not move them in the air.

4. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

scissor kick

I play mainly singles, and have quite a decent round the head (I've had the odd one (in doubles) where my left hand touches the ground so I don't fall over!). For this I always use a scissor jump...nothing else would work really and it just comes naturally, otherwise you'd fall over. For receiving flick serve if I'm playing well I'll get back for it and scissor kick in the air after pushing off into the air with my left foot (I'm right handed). For smashing I'll use block jump sometimes...but it has disadvantages. While in the air you can't move and if the opponent reads it you're stuffed. Better to do a decent controlled smash and be able to move for a reply.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What do you mean by jump 10 feet in the air? You must be better than all the NBA players.

6. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    my comp is kinda slow and i can't dl videos.....

So can someone please explain what a scissors and block jump is? And what there purpose is in life?

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

As I understood it, a scissor jump is what you use when you jump into your backhand rearcourt with legs spread wide apart. Right-handers would jump from the right foot and land on the left foot. I'll try to find a picture.

When you talk of the body rotating and the rear leg becoming the front leg, I know this as a spin jump.

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Scissor Jump

Gong Ruina doing a scissor jump

Attached Files:

9. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Wow cool! How come i never heard of this...

So would it be better to use the scissors jump to cover your backhand or would it be better just to leave it to the backhand?

10. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Scissor jump is more powerful since your arm and body completes a full rotation. A block jump requires strong shoulder muscles since your waist remains the same orientation after you complete your smash. Simply put, you dont get the full benefit of your waist muscles which generates alot of power on rotation. Most people will use a scissors jump on shots directly above them or towards the backhand corner.. while doing the block jump on the forhand since a scissor jump from the forhand corner requires extra time to get behind the shuttle and more work on the legs to get there. If you have a chance look up Yang Yang's videos and you will find alot of variation of jump smashes and his block jump smash is incredibly steep and deadly.. One thing I have noticed is that his arm swing is extremely fast from start to finish, all done without rotating his body... so work on the shoulder and tricep muscles.:)

11. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    block jump

I understand it like this, can someone acknowledge whether it is correct or not?

A block jump is when you intercept the shuttle in the mid-court by jumping and putting it just behind the net (similar to a 'block' in volleyball, etc.). Since it if performed in mid-court you don't have the time to make a full preparation and body rotation.

A reverse block jump, a block jump on the backhand side, is a difficult shot, where you take an extreme overhead and use the 'scissor' jump to balance your body (with your legs together you cannot stretch this far, see Gong's pic. above). Notice how Gong Ruina also puts her arm in the opposite direction to counter balance.

A block jump smash is the same as a block jump but in stead of just 'blocking' in the mid-court and playing a drop, you smash the shuttle.

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Isn't scissor jump the same as scissor kick:confused:?

13. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    yup it is but sometimes i call a scissor jump just a regular scissor jump were u get full rotation and call a scissor kick then same thing happens but u tend to kick up the legs and you see the whole bottom of the persons shoes, understand what i mean? they give a extra kick at the end of the jump that brings the forward leg up and the back leg down.

14. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    block jump for doubles when u are not going to move up to the net after a smash, scissor jump for singles and doubles when you smash and rotate net and backcourt position with your partner.

15. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    IMO, block jump is when you jump up (for right handed people) with you left foot forward and right foot back, then smash and land in the same position or with your feet parallel. If they switch positions, rigth foot in front, left foot back, then its a scissor jump.

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

oh...
    now i know that is a scissor jump...
    err, is that a scissor jump?

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Switching feet jump: scissor jump

Right foot stays behind: block jump

18. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    is the block jump more of counterattacking?

19. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
  20. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    yes, im pretty sure that was a block jump.

btw, i forgot that in sinles when u are intercepting a drive clear with a smash, you also do a block jump