doubles strategies against veteran player

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by chin_stanley, Jun 7, 2004.

1. chin_stanley

chin_stanley Regular Member

Hi Thomas,

Sorry i dunno if this question has been asked before but so far i haven't come across it in my search.

Recently, I have been playing in a team competition and once a while we will encounter opponents who are of this type:
    1) They have very good defence but average in terms of skills
    2) They like long rallies and they know which spot to hit to confuse us.

So normally it's very hard for us to kill them with our smashes and very frequently my partner and I are caught confused in who should take the shuttle. They normaly do a quick drop to the centre or a quick punch after few drops.

What should i do? I usually do a quick punch back or smash if they punch to the back, but sometimes i also do a fast drop (as fast as i could) to the centre. This tactic works sometimes but there are times when my opponent anticipated my shot and my whole strategy backfired. What are the other strategies you would suggest?

Also, i usually do a hard smash to my opponent's chest( the side nearer to his forehand) and sometimes i also do a sharp smash when my opponent stands a bit far from the net. So far it works fine but i still feel that it can be improved. Do u have any recommendations on attacking startegies?

Thank you very much for your time in reading this. Wish u have a nice day. I may be going for the malaysian open this june to july, hope to see u there!

2. Laybourn

Laybourn Regular Member

Hi Chin Stanley

Well believe me when i say i know exactly what your problem is. When i were a little younger i hated playing old players who has been really good when they were young, but there were a few things i noticed they didn´t like.
    1. They really don´t like trick shots, you know just a little details as a hold drop from the backline, and sometimes a hard smash. Variation from backline, net and not at least your serves, that they don´t like.
    2. Try showing them a big hard smash and then make a drop instead. And also in the flat game, sometimes hold the shot instead of punching back.

One thing thats also important is to have some agreements with your partner when you attack, so you don´t make any moves the other one isn´t ready for.

But again variation is a key word in this matter, othervise you will just smash and smash until you make a mistake. Those types of players is just to good tactics, so you have to do some thing that they are not used to.

Hope you undestand what i´m saying, but just keep up the faith it will come to you when you practise more.

And for your questions about attacking strategies, the above counts as well. Variation and agreements with your partner thats the most important thing. The smash to the forehand chest, thats a really good shot sometimes but not to often because the oppenent will just get used to the shot and attack you right back.

If you have some more questions then just write again.

Thomas

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

When you start playing against veterans, they tend to be very good defensively, accurate in placement, but lack in the power category.

As long as they are set (& the ready) to receive your attacking shots, you will either run-out-of-gas, or they will convert your weak attacking shot into an offensive opportunity for them (that's why the long rallies). :cool:

The key strategies are:
    1) Get them moving! If you are moving, it is harder to make an accurate shot!
    2) After years of playing, they must have a chronic injury of some sort! Take advantage of it!

When I play, *ahem*, I mean, when the veterans play, mobility is probably the greatest handicap. ;)

Cheers!
    (hope I am not giving away the golden goose :D)

BTW, there is a hidden strategy #3, but you need to be a veteran to know what you know or don't know but you know they don't know your know nor their unknow!!!
    :confused: :D :confused: :D

4. chin_stanley

chin_stanley Regular Member

Thanks to you all for replying! I shall try out some of the tactics next time when I play :D