User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    The thin layer of dust reduces friction between the sole of the shoe and the floor!
    I used to have a bit of soap powder when playing on dirty courts to sort of "coat" my sole... increases friction..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    The thin layer of dust reduces friction between the sole of the shoe and the floor!
    Why doesn't it do that to my Adidas shoes..?

Gollum..
    I used to play in high school and the gym was just as dusty. I've had no injuries whatsoever..the only injuries are to my rackets.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGr8Two
    As you can see in this thread..ppl are trying to make me spend money. Even though my topic is how to stop having to wiping my shoes.
    It's not that we want u to spend $$$, it's because it's the safest and proper way to solve ur problem, and protect ur own safety.

If whipping shoes can solve all the problem then, I am sure by now, all the badminton shoes will be out of markets. It's like, I drive a saturn, and I want to ask ppl which gas I need to put in my tank in order to let it run as fast as a aircraft. The solution is, NONE!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGr8Two

My theory is that if I played so long without ankle injuries, I'm not going to get any. Think about it...when I start I don't have proper footwork and I didn't get injured. Now that I do know proper footwork..and I've learned it for very long time now...I should be fine.

I'm losing interest because of cost. As well as getting bored of playing newbies..who are rated intermediate level players. They lose pretty badly, it's obvious. But I'm not about to whine to the UW badminton club execs. It's just not polite to do so.
    1. Being lucky before, does not mean u can always be lucky. Like wearing the seat belt, a lot of ppl might never get into a car accident in life, but what about if they do one day?

2. If u think u fellow club members skill lvl is way below urs. Don't blame the sport itself. If u still like the sport, visit other clubs with higher standard. Usually, high school / college clubs' overall standard is not very high, as many of the members are coming for social purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually...i'm only wiping my shoe because another player did..he's levelled above advanced.."competitive". Played against him once in a doubles game. That was so ridicously mismatched.

I suppose his shoes aren't any better? I haven't talked to him..maybe I will tonight.

Curiously...are badminton shoes necessarily less suspectible to dust problems?

I have only one reply for you LazyBuddy...

Does it make sense a person is driving a Mercedez Benz but filling it with regular gas instead of premium which is recommended by MB?

The answer is: I don't have money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. If u think u fellow club members skill lvl is way below urs. Don't blame the sport itself. If u still like the sport, visit other clubs with higher standard. Usually, high school / college clubs' overall standard is not very high, as many of the members are coming for social purpose.
    I'm still rated intermediate level, and I am fit for that. But a few other players..they're not. They can not do a decent double's serve. I'm not gonna bother discussing..it's pointless.

Usually the execs will check up if ppl are fit in the right level. However they focus more on the advanced/competitive players.

Also there are guests..execs do not know how well they play. So that's too bad if they're overrated.

I think the solution is really to know who to play against. I do have friends..however their quite busy with school. I guess it is about time I form my own group for playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
    1. Being lucky before, does not mean u can always be lucky. Like wearing the seat belt, a lot of ppl might never get into a car accident in life, but what about if they do one day?
    I suppose you can say it is luck..but can you prove it? Maybe it's luck that I'm able to play well too? Or that it is luck that I've had two rackets break..?

Just so that you know...I always have my seat belt on when I'm in a car. But I don't drive myself.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i think there is little that needs to be proved or not be proved.

most badminton players wear proper badminton shoes, and we do so because we believe proper shoes are more appropriate for badminton, and we believe that it can prevent injury. and as a result, we educate others to do the same.

we are merely doing our duty to educate others, and here we have done our job already. it is your choice whether you accept what we said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good.

All I needed to know is to use wet paper towels.

Thx everyone for your suggestions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shoes too big = wear extra socks, or add and extra insole. both will usually work for about 1/2 size difference. unfortunately if the shoe is any bigger than that, i've had socks and insoles bunch up at the toe during play.

for slippery shoes, i've seen players do the following in addition to the wet paper towels.
    1. bring a swifter mop to the gym - it's portable, and has it's own moisture.
    2. use the palm of your hands - it's dirty i know, but i've seen some players do that.
    3. wipe on top of your shoes. i have seen a player who taped a small patch of suede on the top of his shoes for this very purpose, so as not the damage the shoe or the laces.
    4. kick or tap the bottom of the shoes with racquet (like in tennis).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good suggestion..although it seems funny if i do bring a swifter mop. The thing is...court change is called every 15 mins. As such..i don't really want to be spending time mopping the floor.

Monday night I was wiping with my palms. I've seen only one person in my club do that though.

Wiping on top of shoe...i don't have anything to tape to it..

Tapping with my Cab 7000 is okay..tapping with a Ti 10....better think twice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once wore my cross-trainers for a week before getting new court shoes. During this time I played badminton several times, and I also played singles in a tournament. In that short time, there was tremendous wear on the insoles, as well as a significant decrease in mobility (e.g. ability to stop after lunging, lateral movements, etc.)

I had pretty good footwork, and I don't think the sudden changes in direction can be handled well by cross-trainers. However, if you insist on a multi-purpose shoe, it might be a good idea to get basketball shoes - they are much more stable than cross-trainers.

TheGr8Two:
    BTW, if you have a membership with UWBC, then you can also go play at the PAC, UW's main gym with nice floors, and no windows (so no sun in your eyes!). Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I still don't understand is why badminton shoes help you with ankle injury? All the badminton shoes I have ever seen are low cut, and don't provide ankle support at all. How does this prevent or support an ankle roll? I can appreciate badminton shoes because the soles are different, much lighter suited for badminton, and the low cut allows for quick front/back lunges. These points I don't dispute. But I'm still not convinced that low cut badminton shoes supports the ankles- say compared to basketball shoes which are high cut/mid cut and wrap around the ankle.
    Enlightenment please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in my opinion, crosstraining shoes is ok bec it has a wider sole compared to running shoes. i also own a nike crosstraining shoes the only problem is its much more heavier than a regular adidas crosstraining shoes.
    use a crosstraining shoes that has a gum sole on it. just like badminton/volleyball shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prophet
    One thing I still don't understand is why badminton shoes help you with ankle injury? All the badminton shoes I have ever seen are low cut, and don't provide ankle support at all. How does this prevent or support an ankle roll? I can appreciate badminton shoes because the soles are different, much lighter suited for badminton, and the low cut allows for quick front/back lunges. These points I don't dispute. But I'm still not convinced that low cut badminton shoes supports the ankles- say compared to basketball shoes which are high cut/mid cut and wrap around the ankle.
    Enlightenment please.
    basketball is a contact sport that is why you need to use a high cut rubber shoes, for instance, you go for a rebound/layup/jumpshot and you landed on someones foot the tendency is your ankle might twist really hard, this is not good if your using a low cut rubber shoes unlike the high cut rubber shoes it gives a full support on your ankles.
    i tried using basketball shoes playing badminton and believe me, its not good especially for front and back lunges.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross-training shoes are more intended for running activities - they are usually a lot like running shoes except heavier and with more cushioning. Generally the expected movement for these shoes is to land on the heel, roll your foot forward and push off the front of the foot. Generally the front portion of the shoe sole is slightly curved to help encourage this sort of movement.

In badminton, this type of movement is generally not used - instead of helping your feet you are making them less stable, which in turn leads to you being less stable, and so more likely to stumble.

Badminton shoes, on the other hand, allow you to be more stable while performing badminton-type of movements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using my cross-trainers improperly then..as i stay on the balls of my feet. They're not causing me any problems whatsover. I've found that these shoes are now providing excellent grip. Problem solved.

Theory is theory. I don't need to explain what I'm doing. As long as I know myself that I'm not getting injured. And even if I get injured, no problem. It's not going to be the end of the world.

If someone wants to buy me a pair of badminton shoes..then I don't mind. What I care about is keeping my wallet full.

Quote Originally Posted by stumblingfeet
    Cross-training shoes are more intended for running activities - they are usually a lot like running shoes except heavier and with more cushioning. Generally the expected movement for these shoes is to land on the heel, roll your foot forward and push off the front of the foot. Generally the front portion of the shoe sole is slightly curved to help encourage this sort of movement.

In badminton, this type of movement is generally not used - instead of helping your feet you are making them less stable, which in turn leads to you being less stable, and so more likely to stumble.

Badminton shoes, on the other hand, allow you to be more stable while performing badminton-type of movements.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast