Shoes slipping in the gym...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by TheGr8Two, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Last night, I tried on my Nike Air Cross-trainers. They felt very comfortable, but there's one problem..dust on the floor will make it slippery. What I end up doing was wiping the bottom of my shoes before each serve. Very annoying, but after I wipe..the grip is great, I can get it to make a squeaking sound.

The problem doesn't occur with my old Adidas cross-trainers though..the grip is good even though there's dust. But the problem is that my foot slips inside the shoe..might be that the shoe is just slightly too big.

Anyone know why my Nike Air Cross-trainers lose grip from dust?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    CROSS-TRAINERS?

like running shoes???? never wear running shoes to play badminton. the sole is too thick and sooner or later you will twist your ankle and that will be good bye ankle and good bye badminton..

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think cross training shoes are different from running shoes, as the sole is not as thick. However, the support is still a big problem, as it's not designed to absord all the shock and protect from jump and twist.

If have spare $$$, try to invest on a pair of baddy/volleyball shoes first. ;)

4. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Hehe...

I've been using them since high school .. that's 6 years that I have been using them. Zero ankle injuries...but maybe I'm due for one?

Perhaps if i do get an ankle injury..it would be for the better. I feel close to quitting nowadays.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You must be really lucky to stay away from injuries. I've seen a very bad knee sprain injury in my local club, since that poor guy was using basketball shoes.

Even if u do want to quit, but u still don't want to leave with injury, right? ;)

6. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    WOW Cross Trainers!!! That's really thick! It'll be hard to make a lot of the moves you need in badminton, not to mention the high risk of a roll over on your angle. *OUCH!* :eek:

The cheapest badminton shoe in the Yonex line's only $69 Cdn here in Vancouver..... and also there are many other brands of court shoes out there if you don't like that. If you're serious about badminton, it's a required investment I'd say. :D

7. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

It's not so much the cost..
    my Air cross trainers costed $100..

The fact is my parents don't want me to spend money just on badminton shoes..they expect me to wear them outside as well..which doesn't work well of course.

Leaving with an injury will remind to stay away from badminton..if i'm actually quitting ;)

I'm quite upset over several things...but it's off-topic.

Btw.. I want to add that the gym is a regular "school" gym..ie: one where you do everything..like basketball and volleyball.

#7 TheGr8Two, Jun 8, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Here in US, I can get Yonex SHB98MX for USD$75. A decent cross trainer from nameable brand will cost about the same (USD$60-100)

2. I don't under ur parent's concept. Do the math, 1 pair of shoes cost say $100, but since u use it all the time on all surfaces, it might last 6 months. 2 pair of shoes cost $200 (assume $100 each), 1 pair for outdoor, 1 pair for indoor. Sounds more? But both pairs lasted much longer, say 12 months. So, from a yearly point of view, they spend the same. Plus, injury could be painful, dangerous, and cost more on medical bills. :confused: :(

9. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Parents are parents...they'll never listen ;)

I do understand it is better to have a pair for badminton and a pair for regular use.

There's also other problems..i'm not gonna talk about.

10. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Why you must risk yourself to injuries by using cross trainer shoes. Even though it is expensive but again you are risking your self to ankle injuries. Try to use proper court shoes. There is a wide range in the market from the lowest end yonex to high end yonex shoes. Same goes to other brand like wilson, gosen,victor and etc. If worse come to worse you can use the dragon fly badminton shoes. It will only cost you approx RM 16.00 (USD 4.21)

I've been using victor court shoe for almost a year with red and black rubber sole. It only cost me RM 120.00 ( USD 32.00)

11. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    fake an injury and then blame it on the shoes :p

then you get a pair of baddy shoes and a week to
    revamp you interest for badminton :)

everyone gets little slumps, but once you come back, you might start to play better.

12. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    just get badminton shoes... they're built for lateral movement abuse!!! you can strafe left and right and you'll feel no shift between your feet, sock, and shoe!!! it's GOOD STUFF!!!! BUT... if you do insist on using cross trainers... get a wet piece of paper towel (wet enough so it's not dry, dry enough so it's not dripping) and stamp your feet after a few shots... I sometimes do that too when playing in dust filled places...

13. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I have been playing fine...

Safety isn't an issue. It's a matter of being careful to avoid ankle injuries. I, for one, do not need court shoes.

Thx for suggestion Optiblue..I'll use that tonight.

TrunkZ69,

The problem is that equipment is too expensive. My theory is that if I played so long without ankle injuries, I'm not going to get any. Think about it...when I start I don't have proper footwork and I didn't get injured. Now that I do know proper footwork..and I've learned it for very long time now...I should be fine.

I'm losing interest because of cost. As well as getting bored of playing newbies..who are rated intermediate level players. They lose pretty badly, it's obvious. But I'm not about to whine to the UW badminton club execs. It's just not polite to do so.

I think that badminton is making me to become a consumerist. Definitely not what I want to be.

As you can see in this thread..ppl are trying to make me spend money. Even though my topic is how to stop having to wiping my shoes.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Whilst I strongly recommend getting proper shoes, the real issue is the floor. Don't play at places with dusty floors. Simple :p

15. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

You're telling me to quit UWBC even though I'm attending UW? Oh plz :)

Maybe I should pay for an expensive membership at Granite Club... :rolleyes:

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your choice: your current badminton club, or your ankles. Money VS health. My advice: go find somewhere with safe facilities.

But you don't seem to care about getting injured, so why should I care? Suit yourself!

I quit Oxford University Badminton Club and joined the town clubs. They were more expensive, but much better.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The thin layer of dust reduces friction between the sole of the shoe and the floor! ;)

18. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I used to have a bit of soap powder when playing on dirty courts to sort of "coat" my sole... increases friction..

19. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Why doesn't it do that to my Adidas shoes..?

Gollum..
    I used to play in high school and the gym was just as dusty. I've had no injuries whatsoever..the only injuries are to my rackets. ;)

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's not that we want u to spend $$$, it's because it's the safest and proper way to solve ur problem, and protect ur own safety.

If whipping shoes can solve all the problem then, I am sure by now, all the badminton shoes will be out of markets. It's like, I drive a saturn, and I want to ask ppl which gas I need to put in my tank in order to let it run as fast as a aircraft. The solution is, NONE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.