String Review Gosen GS 88

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Pecheur, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

This is here since there isn't a section in BR for it.

This is, as far as I can tell, Gosen's version of the BG 80 string. Same thickness of 0.66 mm, similar name, and it came in at about a dollar a pack cheaper than BG 66. It actually played a lot like BG 80, sure it had a bit less power, but the racquet felt more stable, control wasn't bad either. However it also broke like BG 80. I've been using BG 66 for ages, which for me means strings start fraying at about 2 weeks of play and hang on till about the 1 -1.5 month mark before breaking.

These strings seemed great, had them for about a month, no fraying at all. Then a few days ago I saw they they'd just started to fray. First time I played since then, they broke in the usual place for me, 1 cm above the dead centre of the head on one of the two centre strings.

Good string though I think I prefer BG 66 for the money.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Why not try Gosen Pro66? its much better and cheaper

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Hey Pecheur. Are you sure you don't mean the GS-88 is like BG66 instead? Cuz as far as I know, GS-88 has a thickness of 0.66mm, while BG80 has a thickness of 0.68mm (incidentally BG66 is also 0.66mm as well).

And as Ant has pointed out, Gosen has replaced the GS-88 line with Pro-66. It is supposed to be able to handle slightly higher tension than GS-88.

-Rick

4. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I actually knew nothing about Gosen strings when I was getting my racquet restrung the store had run out of BG 66 and I was looking for something of the same diameter. Wait a sec, I thought BG 80 was 0.66, then again it's been ages since I've used it so I could be wrong. If we get Pro 66 I may give it a try, however back to BG 66 for me for now.

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I have seen people use Gosen strings before, and They like it a lot because of the performance and the cost. I think in China, Gosen strings cost at least 10% cheaper than Yonex strings, so people tend to like it and use it a lot since they are both .66mm and have the good performance.
    They also have some other color selections, so there are lots of Gosen strings users.

6. SHaneO

SHaneO Regular Member

these string dont last very long if you are a hard hitter. i let a guy on my team borrow it for one of our games and he broke it within 1 1/2 games.

7. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

That's okay I'm a wimp ;)