String breaking from friend's racket

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by TheGr8Two, Jun 10, 2004.

1. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Suppose you borrowed a racket from a friend to try out..and the string breaks after 3 hits. And the string is a fragile type .. and it has been used for pretty long. And the shots were all in the sweetspot..ie: not breaking from mishit. And they weren't particularly hard hits either. So...what do you do?

1) pay for it hoping to get a second chance, but your friend will not lend it to you to try again..figuring that you will break string again.
    2) pay for it, don't bother trying it again
    3) don't pay for it

The only viable solution for me is 2...
    But what do you all think?

2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

How's about "offering" 50-50? :)

If you know the strings were old/well used (ie/ the sweet sport shows the string to be fraying), your "friend" should know better and may refuse your offer and pay it fully him/herself.

Cheers!

3. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    If he/she was a really good friend of mine, I would just take it to the shop and restring it. And he will let me use it again for sure since we are good friends.:D

4. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

hmm..the problem was that the friend was not there. I've already talked..that's why 2 is the only option for me.

I guess i should add a new rule to avoid future problems..........do not borrow rackets! Only try out rackets at tourneys sponsored by manufacturers...like Black Knight and Pointfore.

Maybe I should also add a follow up rule ...do not lend rackets?

I believe somewhere i've read in shakespeare to neither be a borrow nor lender. But today we have credit cards...although i dont' have one. But I do have a student loan..

#4 TheGr8Two, Jun 10, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2004
  5. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    Come on..... it's only $20 (string + labor)..... I would not get mad with my buddy for just $20..... :D

6. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    You can avoid this problem by agreeing to borrow a racket only under the condition that if the player breaks the racket or the strings he/she will arrange an equivalent new one.

7. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    As long as you hit it and broke it at the sweetspot, i wouldn't pay for it. Honestly, if your strings are on the verge of breaking, what kind of friend are you if you make you other friend pay for strings that you would have broke in the next 10 secs?

8. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I wasn't even aware of such a rule! Whats to prevent me from only lending a racquet with fraying strings to other people, with the sole intent on getting them to pay for it to be restrung, when it eventually breaks?

Many people don't even ask for reimbursements after racquet clashes which result in breakages.

If you feel that way inclined, maybe you should ask for insurance.

Am I guessing right that you are afraid that your friend will not lend you the racquet again? if you want to play with HIS racquet, then it would be a good gesture to restring it for him...he may even sell it you cheaply, if he sees that you like it so much.

9. skkydig

skkydig Regular Member

n/a
    20 dollars? wow, thats about 1,100 pesos here in the philippines. average re-string here cost only about 600 pesos, thats about the half of your 20 bucks. oh well, make sure he/she's your "closest" friend before borrowing his/her raquet.

10. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I'll pay for restringing..as i am making money at the moment..even though i have to save for tuition next term.

But the point is..i'm paying..and i don't get to use it again. 3 hits costing me $20...haha.

Doesn't matter..I have my own racket...which I've lent out right now...:)

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you borrowed the racquet from me and broke the strings, I would not ask you to pay for the restring. The reason is simple. It is highly unlikely that your 3 hits were the primary cause of the string breaking. Like Murphy's law, it can break when it will break, and the hapless borrower is left with an undeserved feeling of guilt. However, it would be a different matter if you were to break my racquet. :D

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I will never ask anyone (especially the ones I can call friends) to pay for re-string, if the above matter happens. I mean, string is meant to be broken fairly often, espeically thin and well used ones. It could happen in any single minutes. Even say, all 3 hits are mis-hit (of course, not this case), I won't even bother to ask. :eek:

13. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Totally agree. I've had newly strung rackets lasting less than a half hour, so anything can happen.

14. napee

napee Regular Member

wow! USD$20 is expensive. here its just around USD$7-10 for the strings and labour. so i would opt for option 1. if i know his strings are fraying, then i wouldn't even bother to try it anyway. ;)

15. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    I wouldn`t pay and I wouldn`t ask someone to pay. Strings break, it most likely would have happened to you in your next rally.

16. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I'm glad there are nice ppl out there :)

17. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    In politesse, if I were you I would pay for the string. As per a good friend, he should return the money to you, or provide you a nice dinner...... :D

Have you taken a look before borrowing the racket?? If the string was very old and going to break, then it is not your fault to break it. But I will not borrow this racket to avoid any trouble. If the string was in good condition, then it might break because of off-centred hit.

Anyway, you have already made the decision.

18. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    If I borrow a racquet from someone, I need to take some responsibility for taking care of it. I know that strings break all the time, but it broke when I was using it. I was the one hitting it, I was the one in possession of the racquet. It was that combination of factors that led to the string breaking; I cannot predict if the string was going to break sooner or later, or what could have, should have happened; the fact is that it broke on my watch. I would feel the same if I borrow the racquet and I broke it, or it cracked during a clash because of me. It was not my racquet, so I need to be responsible for it.

So I would offer to pay, or at least split it 50-50.

19. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Such a nice guy, and i see ur point.

I might consider 50-50, if the string is brand new, and if I know I kept mis-hit numerous times (definitely not 3 times).

As u also metioned, "I don't know if it will happen sooner or later", therefore, say the string broke on me after 15 min, but it might only last even shorter if the owner is a hard hitter. Of course, such assumption is based on teh fact of "well beat up" string.

To me, I still don't feel right to charge ppl 50% of the cost, if I know my string is going to break soon. It's like, I have a very beat up car, before it dies, I "lend" to someone else. After 2 days, it dead on the road. Should I charge the other person 50% of a brand new car, even if I know it's already on the last breath? :eek: