String tension for AT800 and Ti 10

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by speedy shuttle, Jun 12, 2004.

1. speedy shuttle

speedy shuttle Regular Member

full time badminton freak - somtimes webdesign
    Let have a little census here. What string tension do u suggest or prefer for the AT800 (DF) and the Ti 10? Standard stringing taken into account.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the best tension is 23lbs.

3. speedy shuttle

I know some people are exotic and they string the mains and crosses at slightly different tensions, how much of a difference will it make and also if it is worthwhile what tensions would you use?

4. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Transplated from a Chinese website.

The top five and bottom four cross strings are shorter than other cross ones; therefore, if the tension was higher than a certain threshold, the string will lose the tension faster than it is supposed to. The tension-reducing technique is to improve this condition and increase the sweet spot area. Under high tensions, the tension of top five cross strings should not exceed 25lb and the bottom four ones should not be strung at the tension over 28lb.

My two cents:
    I don't know how high the threshold is but my rackets are strung around 22 - 24 lb. This technique is definitely for pros or those people with strong arms whose rackets have the tension higher than 25lb....

-SC

5. dragon62

dragon62 Regular Member

i actually got a good balance of drops and smashes on a 20 tension...

6. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    try a couple different tensions yourself. Ask friends and club players what they run and then ask to hit a few shots. Or, string, play for a week and then cut and restring at a different tension. Its worth putting some time and money into finding a good string tension yourself rather than having someone suggest something and then stick with it having not tried anything else. That being said, i`ll ditto kwun, 23lbs.

7. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I agree, because it provides a "crisp" feel when hitting the shuttle. Doesn't feel like a brick, nor a trampoline.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Using a Ti-10 at 25lbs now. Don't quite like it, way too hard. There was very little bounce and hard to hit far. I'm slowly becoming wristy, thus using a Ti-10 2U with high tension is a bad idea for my arm.

On the other hand though, the net control is simply superb. I did many hairpin net returns of late but I'd attribute that to technique correction but that lack of bounce does help in making sure the shuttle just tumbles over.

9. speedy shuttle

Thats quite interesting because I am going to get a Ti 10 later this week. I think 25lbs is a bit high for the Ti 10 I was going to string it at around 22-23lbs. I have my own stringing machine so its not an enormous problem to restring.:D

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I strung my AT800s at around 28lbs cross and 26main. Sometimes 29/27lbs

11. speedy shuttle

I've noticed that there is lot of variation when peopel string their ATs i've had people say they string theirs at 19 and i've had others that string them at high 20s, guess it all depends on what people like their racquet to feel like / power vs control.

I wonder why I have got less responses to the Ti 10 string tensions...its a fairly popular racquet no?

12. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Yeah there are alot of Ti-10 fans including myself.

Ti-10 (2U, G4) 22x24lbs with Bg85

13. marky mark

marky mark Regular Member

another ti-10 believer here. :) in fact, just got my third ti-10 2u last week. :D have tried different tensions with this (22, 25x23, 24, 24x22, etc.) though maximum i've gone is 26.

best tension for me is 23. don't know what it is with kwun's recommended ;) string tension, but it just seems to give the right balance of power and control for me. (btw, i use bg-65 ti and bg-65 if no there are no available ti strings).

24 and above are too stiff, gives me a pain in the arm, while at 25-26 i experience a sharp decrease in power but at the same time messing up my "control" (for drop or net shots) as the string bed becomes too bouncy.

hope this helps.

14. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    I currently have mine strung at 22lbs, BG85.

I do have a question though. For some racquets, I've found that if you increase or decrease tension, it might not go according to plan. Such as, if I increased the tension from 22lbs of my MP99 to say 25 lbs, I would except there to be more arm work, but it might end up being the opposite. I don't know why. I've seen some players in the forums who have tested different tensions, and they sometimes drop back to a lower tension and claim that that gives them the best power.

Why is this?

I plan to restring my Ti-10 soon. I currently have it strung at 22lbs. The drop shots are nice. Those I can adjust to without too much difficulty (that's my strongest point in the game). I'm thinking more about smashes and clears. What tension might be ideal for an arm player (I'm only 5 feet though) who loves power, and likes control.

I've thought about increasing the tension to 23 lbs. Would crossing make a difference? I've never tried crossing...

15. speedy shuttle

I don't know, but I'm glad so see some results for the Ti 10 because I am planning on getting one of those in the near future. How do you like the feel of them btw? I've heard it is a very good racquet.:)

16. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I think Ti-10 became pretty much one of Yonex Classics, alot of people likes it. It has a very slim shaft but gives a lot of power on smash. For more details check in the review section.

#16 Brave_Turtle, Jun 14, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2004
  17. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    *Thread hijack on/
    Speedy Shuttle. I`m moving back to vancouver island next september, whats a good shop in Vic? Where are you buying a ti-10? None of the shops over here have them. I imagine it would be super hard to find old models. Or is it still a current model in Canada? And what kind of machine do you have? My team here in japan has one but I`m looking at buying my own when I move back. The freedom of being able to cut your strings at anytime without a worry is too good to live without.
    * Thread hijack off/

My ti-10 is at 23lbs. I`ve hit with one at 20 and 25lbs. The 25 was needless to say, a brick. And although I found at 20lbs there was alot of power,nce I set my timing up, the lack of control had me wanting.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Generally most players either beginner and amateur string their ti-10 between 22lbs to 26lbs. It is totally fine to tensioned it at 30lbs. :) I've tried it.

19. IamAbeginner

IamAbeginner Regular Member

Student
    Could I get any of you to explain to me how you measure tension?:confused: I do not really understand how you can measure tension. I searched "tension measurement", but I do not understand what they are talking about. Could anybody please explain to me what they mean in a simplier manner? I would really appreciate it very much. :eek:

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Generally string tension is not measured on an already strung racquet, although there are machines that can do this. String tension referred to here and elswhere refers to the tension the string is being tensioned when a racquet is being strung. Stringing machines that string racquets have a device that pulls the string at a range of tension, normally between 15-36lbs, that is set by the stringer.