Results 1 to 17 of 20
Thread: One less club in New York
06-13-2004, 10:51 PM #1
One less club in New York
After more than 10 yrs of existence, another long time baddy club in NY area has to be shut down by the end of June. Reason? Well, the high school does not want to give good discount on court renting any more, and if the price for drop in gets increased by another $10 each time, doubt we will have enough members to participate. So, one less club to play now.
Within a year, we lost the famous Miller Place club, now, John Dewey is out. With increase in baddy population, guess NY is the only place losing clubs due to high rent (school trying hard to squeeze out $$$ ).
Wondering after another 1-2 yrs, what I can do then??? Move to CA or CAN???
06-13-2004, 10:54 PM #2
Dude, I like the way you're thinking. Time to pack the racquets and gear and move on down west!
Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
06-13-2004, 11:09 PM #3
You're always welcome here in Vancouver!
06-14-2004, 12:19 AM #4
Good food and great company here in the beautiful British Columbia!!! Pack your stuff and come join us LB.
06-14-2004, 01:10 PM #5Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
Sorry to hear about the closures.
06-15-2004, 02:00 AM #6
where in ALBANY?
lazybuddy, is there any badminton court in ALBANY NY, coz were planning to migrate there this coming september/october. .
06-15-2004, 11:54 AM #7Originally Posted by skkydig
06-15-2004, 07:21 PM #8Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
06-16-2004, 01:45 AM #9
Hey LB, this should be your game plan...
1) Sell all your funiture & your apartment
2) Get rid of all your belongings except baddy related stuff (of course)
3) Buy a 68 VW van (or a mini camper)
4) Relocate to Vancouver, specifically the parking lot at the VRC
You can now live & breathe badminton!!!
You'll have lots of visitors 24x7 (Smashingbird, & Timeless can flash their high-beam when they turn into the parking lot! ), plus access to the showers & bathroom at the club. Get yourself a propane gas BBQ, and you're set!
No rent to pay, all you have to be concerned for is the gas (for car & BBQ), and the annual VRC membership!!! OH, OF COURSE, the occasional 24-pak of beer when your baddy friends come to visit you in your VW after a hard session of baddy!
For a job... sell shuttles at the door, but you need to develop a fast & effective technique of recycling good feathers in used shuttlecocks! (you won't have to worry about buying supplies, there will be tons of free inventory at VRC)
Last edited by Break-My-String; 06-16-2004 at 01:51 AM.
06-16-2004, 03:23 AM #10Originally Posted by Break-My-String
06-16-2004, 09:47 AM #11Originally Posted by skkydig
06-16-2004, 09:50 AM #12Originally Posted by Break-My-String
1. The apartment belongs to my family as a group, not just under my own name. Therefore, I have to pay big % to my parents, only if they don't decide to kick me out 1st.
2. Typical "American Dream" is "get big $$$". Guess ur suggestion fit more for the "simple life" version.
06-16-2004, 11:52 AM #13Originally Posted by LazyBuddy
You could always start a badminton touring operation where you bus (or RV) baddy fanatics from all over the world for a 6weeks tour of all the top-of-the-line facilities across North America...but your base of operations MUST be from Vancouver!
Last edited by Break-My-String; 06-16-2004 at 11:56 AM.
06-16-2004, 11:55 AM #14Originally Posted by Break-My-String
06-17-2004, 12:01 PM #15
Club manager called for group meeting this coming sat to discuss our future. Numerous rumors about our fate being spread around these days:
1. 4 courts, currently having 40 members, but will increase to be 60 to split the $$ - god....
2. 4 courts, currently having 40 members, double the member fee - how many still want to come???
3. Increase to 8 courts, combine with other club(s), member fee will increase, and allow drop in
4. No change on members, shorten playing time (currently 6 hrs)
5. Close the club, let members suffer and further crowded other clubs.
Seems every "solution" is "lose lose" solution to me. However, if we can somehow survive, higher price + longer waiting time + less gym time is still better than "no where to play"???
I will update this thread, once I receive the formal notice. Got to pray now...
06-18-2004, 01:03 AM #16
What numbers ($$$) are they proposing & what is the current cost?
Maybe you need to give the school added incentive to maintain the hours, ex/
-students of the school gets 1.5hrs (free) coaching prior to the regular 6hr session
-have one/two fund raising event (baddy tourny or open house) per year that generate funds for the school
Yes, the school's bottom line is generating money but it can also be accomplished by minimizing costs with volunteers doing some of the work.
06-20-2004, 03:18 PM #17
Club survived - for another 3 months
Group meeting on Sat, and here's result:
1. Member fee increased from $175 per 6 months to $150 per 3 months. HS students get discount price for $50 per 3 months.
2. Instead of 4 courts, we have 8 court now: 2 for single games, 2 for HS students (most only play 3 hrs instead of 6), 4 for double games.
3. Club manager encourage members to bring in more members, as we only have 40 right now. With 8 courts, we can easily fit in another 20+, which can significantly bring down the cost.
4. About 20 members paid the member fee right on the spot to support the club. Stupid me forgot to bring in my check. Of course, I will bring in next time.
5. Hope we can survive. Time to making calls to buddies.
By conorha in forum Canada EastReplies: 3: 02-12-2013, 09:35 PM
By rikardo in forum Canada EastReplies: 4: 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM
By Khai Wan in forum USA EastReplies: 0: 06-08-2010, 09:15 PM
By dex in forum Canada EastReplies: 1: 08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
By Dave18 in forum Canada EastReplies: 5: 11-09-2004, 12:36 PM