Ankle injury

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by ryeung, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

Did a search but only found ankle injuries resulting from rolling the ankle while playing. What I did was a little different. I was playing Monday night and went to take a step forward. Seeing the bird starting to go behind me, I must've come down pretty hard on the right foot and pushed off. That's when I felt the pain. No swelling but needless to say, I could not push off and that was the end of the evening. The foot has no problem straightening but it hurts when I try to bend it back. Walking especially on stairs is still quite difficult. The pain seems to be in the ankle but only when it is bent back. For example, if I was trying to stretch the hamstrings, it would hurt. And forget about pushing. There has been no swelling so I don't think it's too serious. I have been icing it and it helps for a while. Anyone had this before?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

where is the pain? achilles tendon area? top of the foot? inside the ankle joint?
    Is it a sharp, stabbing type of pain? or a dull aching type?

3. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

It is more like a sharp pain. On the top of the foot, more or less in front of the ankle bone. It is painful only when the foot is bent up. At rest or pointing down, it is fine.

4. k_i_k

k_i_k Regular Member

I hope someone still pays attention to older threads.

Hi, ryeung, I've recently suffered a minor ankle injury while playing badminton that's very similar to yours, although I think my injury is even more minor. I've tried to rest it for about a week, although I didn't take any special care of it. But when I went back to playing, bending the angle like this /_. still hurt. I can play without problems, but I can't push off the strained ankle as hard as before, which sucks.

I will try to ice it and rest it a bit more, but I wonder how long it took for your ankle to fully recover.

Thanks.

5. estib

estib Regular Member

The recovery time depends on the severity of the injury. If it hurts rest it some more, it's a signal that the injury hasn't fully recovered yet. But if your to play, I suggest that you wear an ankle brace to prevent aggravating/re-injuring your ankle.

check out the following sites for more info.

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/anklesprain/anklesprain.html
    http://www.epodiatry.com/ankle-sprain.htm

6. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

if you roll your ankle really bad you have to be carefull becuase if you do it again before its fully healed you can create a permanent weakness there

7. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

It wasn't as bad as I initially thought. I was able to play again after about a week. I was icing it on a fiarly regular basis. I wore an ankle brace for about a month and the ankle feels ok now. I have since taken the ankle brace off without any problems.