Smashing damages deltoids muscle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by chibe_K, Jun 16, 2004.

1. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I have been experiencing acute pain right in the center of deltoids everytime I smash. The pain gradually goes away after I get enough warm up, like 15 minutes into the game.
    Surprisely, I found this is a common pain among members at my club. Most members will put on medication, like Icy&Hot, to relax the muscle before the game (no wonder it smells hot and spicy on the court next to them). Even my coach has this problem and he says the reason is too much hard smashing.

How do I get rid of the pain ? It really bothers me because lately, the pain becomes severe that I have to stop playing for a week. I know I need to consult with sports doctor but before I do that, I like to get opinions from you folks.

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I had that problem before. Wasn't sure why either. I guess I was pushing myself a bit too much. If you can't put out that much power without hurting yourself, then dont do it until you can handle it i guess...It doesn't hurt me anymore...

3. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

I have that same problem also. I just took it a little easier and some time off, I know its hard. I have been working out that muscle a little bit more, lifting a light dumbell doing shoulder raises. I have seen improvement in both flexibility and power in my smashes. Guess the muscle is getting stronger. But, I do use icy hot before a game still.

4. speedy shuttle

speedy shuttle Regular Member

full time badminton freak - somtimes webdesign
    I think it all depends on form, because I have played everyday for 6 months without any deltoid pain. Stretching probably helps:p

5. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

its most likely an impinged nerve in the rotator cuffs (beneth the delts). I've already posted extensively on this. It's highly unlikely to actually be the delts, since smashing uses mostly triceps, lats, and wrist flexors. Delts are only used in getting to the smashing position.

i can give you a better answer if you draw the position/area of the pain, where (if) it radiates, and how the pain feels

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Here is the picture where the pain is:

Attached Files:

7. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i use to have this problem too.... usually because i was too lazy to warm up.... now it's almost gone... maybe because i've stopped smashing due to my laziness...

8. ahtan

ahtan Regular Member

Employee
    Most likely it is due to hard smashing. I have that same problem too but whenever it pains i will seek the traditional chinese massage. The pain will be gone after 1-2 treatment

9. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    I have the same pain in that area too. But for some reason after i start warming up, it goes away.

10. Z1985

Z1985 Regular Member

slack
    wow.. so many of u guys have this pain too? well... i had been having pains in many other places too.. for the last 6 months or so.. when i started playing aggressive badminton. usually after a smashing game. i would get the pain on the deltoid? i think its more on the upper biceps. plus, i would get chest muscle ache on both side and the right side(i am right handed) of my upper back.. and if i play against a fast/placing player, where i have to leap and run alot, i would have aches at the point behind my heel.. its aches especially when u tiptoe. wonder if u guys get that too.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Is it possible that the pain experienced by some, but not by everyone, is due to either hardware (wrong type of racquet and/or string tension) or software (wrong technique)?

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I get a pain in that sort of area (not sharp though) if I hit the shuttle when it is too far out to the side of me. i.e. slow/tired/lazy movement

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's a long shot but that area chibe pointed out is near the insertion of the long head of the biceps muscle.

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

The pain also come when my right arm is in certain position, like raising in front of me, lifting it to the side and making a full circle rotation. Now, I suspect it might have come from the joint, inside the deltoids.

15. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    Well I played with an iso 97 VF (light racket) at 24 pounds and now i'm playing with a MP 77 at 25 pounds. Both gave/give me the same pain in my upper biceps. So I'm thinking it shouldn't really effect it that much.

16. other

other Regular Member

Student
    maybe increased transmissions of shocks to your arms and muscles from a pretty high tension?

17. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Yes, must be it ! I play at 27 lbs. The shocks is transmitted through my right arm to my shoulder joint and damages it !

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sounds like you need to see a physiotherapist for a definitive answer.

19. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Seeking medical attention is probably what I do next. I am holding off the idea because members at my club said every doctor recommended them to rest for 3 months !

No way, I cannot stay away from the court for longer than a week, how can I do that for 3 months.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Best approach is to see a physiotherapist - one that has an interest in sports related problems. I think family physicians will not be able to give the kind of advice you look for.

In the US, are physiotherapists also called Doctors?