Most exciting tournaments and players 1990-2004

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Smashking, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Smashking

Smashking Regular Member

Hello all

I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I've found it by accident.

I used to be an fanatic Badminton fan, even played myself for a team in Jakarta, Indonesia before. Growing up, I remember watching Rudy Hartono, Liem Swie King, Lius Pongoh, Icuk Sugiarto, Ivanna Lie, Han Jian, the Sidek brothers, and others on live TV everytime there were big tournaments in Asia/Europe. I remember watching Liem Swie King live in Senayan Stadium. The guy is electrical, fantastic and awesome. In fact, I've met with Liem several times since the guy loved eating in my favorite restaurants too. Rudy Hartono used to be a business partner with Uncle as well.

Throwing that aside, I am planning to play catch up. Since I moved to the US in 1990, I haven't really kept tracked of what's going on in the Badminton world. Off course the last time I was there Alan Budikusuma, Ardi, Susi Susanti were dominating the scenes. I also knew that Alan and Susi won the first gold medals for Badminton for Indonesia in the Olympics. There are talks that Susi is perhaps the greatest female badminton players ever. But I've missed all these action since 1990.

Now, I am asking you guys for a favor here.. Could you please tell me who are the most exciting (best) players now and between 1990 - 2004. Also, are there any memorable and perhaps the most exciting tournaments (Sudirman Cup, Thomas, Uber, etc) between 1990 - 2004. I'm planning to purchase some documentary matches and clueless about which ones to buy and which players are good to watch these days.

Please help and give suggestions !! Thank you :) :p

2. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

I would contact username: Han on this board.

He has a lot of great dvd matches from 1990 - present and really resonable prices as well. Just email him at han_cheong@yahoo.com and he will be more than happy to help you out.

Han, I want my finders fee :) LOL

3. mnda_315

mnda_315 Regular Member

hi smashking.. i think most interesting players to watch is Lin Dan, but I like to watch Sony Dwi Kuncoro too.. cause I think this youngster has good future in badminton..

4. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    for MD, you can't miss this one---All England 2001! Amazing defense from Sigit and Candra on SF against Lee and Choong from Malaysia. In the final it is amazing match between Tony/Halim and Sigit/Candra.

5. peace

peace Regular Member

Hi smashking.....

According to my opinion, between 1990 - 2004 there are a lot of great things happened in badminton world. Here are some that I can tell you.

First of all, when Indonesia won the golds in Barcelona 1992. Yeah..Alan and Susi. I think Susi Susanti is the best ladies singles player during that period. When I saw her, I always be impressed. she has great skills. She almost won every tournament in this world. The next is when Indonesia can beat China in two finals Uber Cup 1994 in Jakarta and 1996 in Hong Kong. Wow, it was really surprised that China can be beaten, coz since 1998 till now the ladies of China are really2 superior. Almost noone can beat them.

You can also watch LIN DAN today, because I think he is really a talented player. His skills are amazing. Although he is still young, he has good menta toughness. It had been prooved in the last Thomas Cup Final. Maybe you can try to look for the video for he Thomas Cup 2004 Final.

6. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Indonesian Doubles

Sigit Budiarto and Candra Wijaya just splitted up last year. Sigit had paired up with Trikus and Candra together with Halim. These two pair had just met in the Asian Championship Final where Trikus / Sigit managed to win Candra / Halim. I personally believe that this match is not only exciting but emotional. Maybe Candra / Halim could make it to the Olympics if they had won Sigit / Trikus. Sob Sob ... ... ...

7. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    You can't ignore the dominant Indonesian men's doubles pair of Rexy Mainaky and Ricky Subagia during the 90s. Those two were arguably the most dynamic doubles players of their time.

8. libra

libra Regular Member

Memorable moments since 1990... I can think of so many but here are a few highlights:

- MAS Thomas Cup team victorious in 92 beating both CHN (3-2) and INA (3-1)

- INA's golden couple (Alan and Susi) both winning gold at Bercelona Olympics

- Peter Rasmusen beating Sun Jun for world title in 97 also at same event, Ricky & Rexy coming back from Championship point down to defeat Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock (happened again at Atlanta 96)

- Camila Martin edging Dai Yun to win 99 WC

- Zhang Jun and Gao Ling's path to the final and win at Sydney 2000

Lots more which I didn't mention and I'm sure the other buffs around here may not agree with my choices.

9. seawell

seawell Regular Member

:)

1998 uber cup finals YeZhaoying beat susi and GongZhichao beat mia was very very exciting!!!

10. Smashking

Smashking Regular Member

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Keep them coming.

BTW, I already ordered some DVDs from Han. He's great. :)

11. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    all the games played between Wong CH and Xia XZ!!!

12. novl

novl Regular Member

Financial Advisor
    My all time favorites:

1. 2002 AE MD semi-final Ha/Kim - Sigit/Chandra
    2. 1994 AE MD final Ricky/Rexy - Gunawan/Suprianto
    3. 2001 AE MD semi-final Sigit/Chandra - Choong/Lee
    4. 1994 AE MD semi-final Ricky/Rexy - Cheah/Soo
    5. 2001 AE MS final Gopichand - Chen Hong
    6. 2001 AE MS semi-final Gopichand - Peter Gade
    7. 2004 AE MS final Lin Dan - Peter Gade

And I don't want to hear anymore that badminton is for girls or a beach game.

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    And also Cheah/Yap beaten by Sigit/Chandra in WC 97. Wrapped the first game easily; 16-17 in second game, although led the game to 14 first, and got 16-14 once..; lose all the way in the 3rd game...

so heart broken that time :D

14. Axel_21

Axel_21 Regular Member

IBA member
    WC-2003-Xia v Kenneth

The greatest match I have ever witnessed, and I'v seen a lot. lol