New Player From Toronto, Ontario

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by BethuneGuy, Jun 19, 2004.

1. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    hi, my name is Andy, and i'm from Bethune in Scarborough. Just got into badminton seriously the past year, still suck, and still plagued with injuries. But i'm addicted to this sport, and this site. Took me a couple months to finally join this site, when my friend told me a mind blowing concept of checking my e-mail to activate my account :eek: . I was *shocked*. I play mixed A for my team, however, had to forfeit a lot of games due to my partner not showing up and not enough subs, very mad. Using a MP 99 currently, for 3 months now, stilll not used to it, did my first proper jump smash with it a couple of weeks ago, damn racket so heavy, keep screwing up smashes, prolly cuz i used super lite victor racket before. I'm joining Mandarin this summer starting June 28, if u think it's me there, say hello. (i know you're reading this Will, hahaha)

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Welcome to the big family of badminton. Hope u can recover from the injury and enjoy this sport as much as u can. ;)

For MP99, I don't think it's because it's too heavy. It might have something to do with the extra stiffness, which u might not get used to yet. :rolleyes:

3. BethuneGuy

Student
    Thank you LazyBuddy. I hope i can meet new people and potential badminton buddies on this forum! None of my friends (well, one or two) play badminton. And i want to play so badly everyday. People in Toronto please post and maybe some day we'll meet up, bring some people, and play a few friendly games.

4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    BethuneGuy, welcome to the BF community!

I think I can perhap help explain some of your frustration with the 99. I know exactly what you mean when you say you can't get power out of it. It's not that it's heavy, but rather that it's light. Like LB said, it's even balance and very stiff, so it takes a stroke that is initiated later with a higher swing velocity to get good use out of it. The key here is to have a fast swing so that the same amount of momentum is transfered as a heavier head racquet and a slower swing.

It's a matter of personal preference whether you can adjust to such a swing.

5. BethuneGuy

Student
    It is a little better now. I found out that if i hold the racket at the cone, or where the shaft ends, it is much easier. But nonetheless, just isn't as powerful as my cheap super flexible and light victor. My goal this summer is to get used to the MP 99 and be able to wield it using it's full potential. Or maybe it's a bad string job.