Singles Question

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JChen99, Jun 20, 2004.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi, I played this guy (ex-provincial team according to a friend who also got owned by him before) on friday at a local community center. In every aspect of the game I KNOW my shots/speed surpasses his. I'm not trying to be cocky but it seemed to me (and all my other friends watching) he had problems returning my shots in the beginning. That is until he started hitting everything to the back corners and his score just kept going up. Being the dumbass that I am I let it get to me, stopped thinking and eventually the game fell apart for me (as usual)

How do you deal with shots like that? They're pretty fast and not low enough for you to cut off (I believe this is what you call attacking clear but it's almost like a VERY bad smash that one of my friends does except flight path is a bit higher)

Also... just a side note question... what's the difference between a baseline drive and attacking clear? I mean, dont they serve the same purpose??? :confused:

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    I have the same problem dealing with attacking clears as well. Though I cannot do it as yet, I believe the correct way to counter attacking clears is better footwork, so that I can get behind the shuttle with enough time to execute a quality stroke.

Of course, sometimes even pros do get caught on the wrong footing, and are forced to take the shuttle late. From the videos I have watched, all of them are able to do a defensive clear hitting the shuttle behind them, and at about shoulder level or lower. For me, that is still a very low percentage stroke.

As for the difference between an attacking clear and a baseline drive is the overhead throwing action in the former, and a sideways throwing action in the latter.

3. Jumpalot

Jumpalot Regular Member

Usually its not possible to beat someone with just one good shot since you can change the game enough so he couldnt hit those shots. In your case it bothered you enough that you couldnt react and change the game. Here are 2 strategies you might wanna consider.

DEFENSIVE Strategy:

First of all, does your opponent have a fast and tight drop to the net from the back court? Because if not, you could set up back further closer to the baseline and not return to the center of the court after each return. I remember seeing some world class players that never return to the center, they get ready almost near the doubles back service line. When the opponent clear to them, they literally take one small step to return it. But thats extreme since they can run to the net faster than we can imagine. Anyways, you got the idea.

OFFENSIVE Strategy:

Second, do you have an attacking game ? if yes, use it. You can start off the point with a smash or slice drop. or even an attack clear to beat him to it. Judging from your opponent's score keeps going up, he was serving to you several times each run. You need to take those serves and take it to him given you have better shots. The main reason is when your opponent is defending, its less likely he will have a chance to hit an attack clear to your back corners and essentially you are forcing him to play other shots.

Good luck.

4. bad-minton

bad-minton New Member

you should take your racket up all the time ,so the bird won't get over you that fast.usually the straight clear is the fastest,when the shots come flat and fast like that,it is not necessary to cut off,but block it to the corners of the net or repeat it to the backcourt.i mean you should combine your shots.

baseline drive is hit lower than attacting clear and it makes no surprise.the purpose is only to defense and bring the shuttle to the baseline,and try to get rid of the control from your opponment.attacking clear is used in LS very often,and it was played with explosive power and try to make the opponent get out of the balance.the purpose of playing is attacking.but the quality of attacking clear is very important.

i hope my tips help you,i wish you good luck!:)

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Thanks for the quick replies. I forgotten to add a few things about myself and the opponent.

I play a really aggressive game and perfer to be on the attacking side of things. Not necessarily with smashes but drops/clears as well as long as it forces a bad return or sets up for another shot that makes them return weak. During the game I have tried racket up, but his shots are still out of reach from where I stand ( I might be standing a bit far up but when I backed up he would just eat me with his drops) I am not the fastest or smartest player out there, but by the end of the game it got to the point where I was able to read about 80% of his shots. I didn't move before he made his shot because I did that once and he saw me going for it and changed his shot last minute. My defense is not solid, but I was able to return almost all of his smashes... I guess one of the reasons he stopped smashing after I got service over (or points) due to his smash.

Most of his offensive clears, by the time I got to the shot was down about my waist level, sp it was really hard to crank it back up by then.

My opponent is an ex-provincially ranked player in Newfoundland, but is pretty old now (prolly late 30s or early 40s) so I know he's not in that good a shape no more, however he still got most of the shots he need to play a very good game against us amatures :p

6. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    welcome to bighooks world

I should have introduced myself.Sorry but I was a little distracted with my daughter there.So I am old and not in good shape eh?Like I said in the beginning I didn't get a good warmup with your friend previous to that so my shots were a little off.Don't worry I don't take offense to anything you posted.Consistency is what makes my game work and I have played a long time with alot of good players.Don't worry you'll get there eventually.

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Haha... fellow BFer :rolleyes:
    well you are considered old when it comes to badminton :D After all, you are more than 30 FOR SURE! XD But then, if you weren't good I wouldn't come here and ask for tips, I'd just go about my own business doin something else ;)

I'm looking forward to playing you some other time =) I need to buff up my singles before nex season. Any tips? :D Hope to play you nex time when you're warmed up properly. Gimme a shout if you're comin out Friday nights and I'll save energy to play ya! (cuz usually I play about 6-8 singles games + doubles/mix games for the 3:30 session + the 6:30 session)

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    hahahah - so you had a little fun with the young puppy, eh bighook?

chen99, take your time to get your strategies and skill set higher to take on bighook. he is a tough cookie, and is actually stronger than he may appear to you. he's mellowed out over the years (if my memory serves me correctly) so just be glad he doesn't cram a smash down your throat...

the classic sayings - you can't judge a book by it's cover.

9. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I will try to make it but my schedule is difficult to predict .Yeah I have been playing for a long time .I think you probably qualify for that" how old are you?" answer when I am asked how long I have been playing.I prefer singles and we will see who is in shape next time.My daughter got really cranky and I had to get her home soon anyway.That is why I suddenly disapeared.

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Badrad - I may b quite a bit over my league here, but it's how I improve, by playing stronger players =)

Bighook - Gimme a shout (PM me or ICQ/MSN... contact is in info) if you know you're going and I'll see wut I can do, cuz usually I'd b down @ cameron by ~ 4 or so but might leave to go out later at night. (maybe 6:30... but mite stay bit later)

Anymore tips anyone? :D

11. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Hahah, i have to agree with Badrad, Bighook is a lot better than what you describled him to be..lol. And I don't think hes form is too bad either..hahah...well anyways, good luck next time :D

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist

Absolutely agree. And you have to notice that bighook doesn't have that tennis underhand backhand, very typical of casual badminton warriors, nor an awkward swing, nor sloppy footwork.

And you have to notice the execution of STRATEGY in his games too.

If bighook comes up to me for a game of singles, I think I'd have a million other things to do, than run about on court, gasping for breath, for maybe the two points I'd get from him.

-dave

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    i suspect that jchen99 didn't realize that bighook was also a bf'er when he started this thread. :D

14. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I think so too, and I hope the bighook cleans the floor with him properly next time for such a laspe ;) See what happens, give a young upstart a chance? They think that they are actually better than you and you were just "lucky" to beat them :D

"Was sure he was better, all the other guy did was defend" paraphrased from a book who's name escapes me just now.

15. SmashingBird

nice of you not to take offense of what Jchen posted..hahah...what was the score anyways? :D :D

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! Yeah... he's slower but he's not exactly walking around with a walking cane:D. Had the pleasure of partnering with Bighook as well as watch him play at Collingwoods on occasion. He could definitely give any decent player a good game;).

17. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Smashingbird I won't say but I guess it bothered him enough.Thanks to everyone for the accolades.Yeah I guess if you were reading the thread you might think I should be collecting social security cheques.Yeah Badrad I don't think this is the kind of reply JCHEN99 expected either.I will do my best to own him next time.

18. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Hey JChen, just keep working on your fitness and footwork. Speed, Power and Endurance. Next time you meet him, have the proper footwork ready to rush the back, jump up and intercept his attacking clear quickly. Remember to vary your shots well, the best offensive shots you can do if you can quickly intercept his attacking clear is ANY attacking shots except a straight attacking clear. That leaves you five shots to choose from, try them and figure out what works best.

19. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    14-4 Bighook :p

:rolleyes: Will look forward to that owning next time ;)

20. SmashingBird

so the game wasn't finished.haha...woooo...sensing some rivalary going on..hahaha.... perhaps you guys can finish it off in the ultimate bf battle.