the next BF contest : guess the Olympics medalists...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Jun 24, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we did a guess the winner contest at the AE, and that was quite successful. now the Olympics is just around the corner, BF will host a guess the olympics medalists contest.

since this is the Olympics, the prizes for the contest will be much more substantial than last time. i haven't decided what exactly the prize will be, but i can tell you it will be a nice racket for the winner and nice BF t-shirts for the runner-ups.

however, i am not sure what racket to get. a AT700/800 is out of my league, i am thinking may be a MP99/MP100/cab20 as the grand prize.

also wondering if anybody want to sponsor this contest? any retailer/distributor/manufacturers? if so, let me know by PM...

read: i am not accepting entries now. so don't post nor PM me any. the contest will start when the entries and draws are finalized in late July.

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Do you mind posting the draws when they come out?

3. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    I believe they wiil be available on worldbadminton.net

JR

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Nice, a lucky guess. Is mr Jonas Rasmussen and co allowed to cast in guesses too? ;) Just curious.

Cheers

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    wow, that sounds too good to be true, rackets as prizes? :)

What if we all have the same picks and all win the game? ;)
    (Kwun will have to buy lots of rackets for us :p!)

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Wonder if MS/MD/XD juggernaut of Lin Dan/JR+Paaske/Kim+Ra are sure-winners ... then we'd only need to worry about the other categories.

-dave

7. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I think more than one person might guess the same players (e.g. Lin Dan).

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think that it is not just guessing who would win what event but all the events (MS, LS, MD, LD, XD) plus scores too.

I guess in the event of a tie, the winners get to split the racquet (head, shaft and handle) :D :D :D. I'm sure that Kwun will have a tie breaking question that he can ask.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i will make sure the mechanism will eliminate any double winners. i can afford to give out multiple t-shirts, but unfortunately not multiple MP100... :)

but i am more interested in the actual questions i asked, what racket would be more popular, and if there are any manufacturers/distributors/retailers interested in sponsoring...

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I say Cab20 is a good choice of prize because it's not so expensive, virtually good for any player since it is so easy to use, and it's the legendary racket; worthy prize :)

11. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Why don't you make it a choice of say three racquets. I mean we rattle on about there being no ideal racquet for people so it'd be almost hypocritical to give away a single racquet as a prize without choice. Also there's no benefit in buying the racquet before the date (I can't see any cost saving), besides maybe saving the time in waiting for Kwun to get around to buying the racquet after the choice has been made. However anyone who surfs this site should be willing to wait an extra month or two to get a more suitable racquet.

12. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    I think if we get some sort of sponsorship, that will be ideal. If that was the case, the prize might be a cash value of say $150- and the winner can choose to pick up a cab, or pay the balance and pick up an AT800.

For sponsor- kwun, what about asking phu/bintang? Just a thought.

13. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    just give the winner a pair of yonex socks

who doesn't want one ? :)

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Since Kwun is not making money from this web site, I think Kwun can just donate one of his used racquets (still in good condition) with his signature on it. And it also gives kwun another excues to Janet to buy a new racquet. :)

15. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Let's do a poll maybe on for one pre-determined choice of five to seven models and choose one of it as the grand prize. For me, I'd like to have an AT800 DE, if possible. :) The runner-up place could include a Cab 20 and a t-shirt, and 10 consolation prizes of a t-shirt each.

It'll be good to place it on a separate thread; tell the rules of the contest and lock it until the tournament begins.

Perhaps one rule we can make will be to make sure that all must send using their PM?

16. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    *Cough* *bluejeff* *Cough* *dontate* *one* *of* *your* *racquets* *cough* ;)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as mentioned, the league of at700/800 is way too much $$ for me. cab20 is a nice racket, but not everybody will appreciate its inner beauty. i'd hate to have a great badminton racket underappreciated and ended up sitting on the shelf.

the details of the competition will be released in the appropriate time. i am at the stage when i want to know what prizes are most attractive!

18. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    How about an air ticket + accommodation to Anaheim CA to watch the World Championship 2005? That'll be mighty attractive! BF might even get IBF or media coverage for such a contest! :) You may even notice a sudden surge of membership registrations, esp some that smells of suspicious hints like Cheung, bluejeff, Hugo, ants, Loh, Jofianty... ;)

Of course, we can all dream. We can dream if we think we can. :D

#18 wilfredlgf, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  19. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Whoa, whoa, why do I see my name on that list?? And more importantly, why am I ALWAYS a sure bet on every one of Wil's "bad" lists??? :confused: :D

LOL.

But come to think of it, Wil does raise a point. Kwun, with the stakes raised this time, is there a way to ensure that each poster gets no more than one set of votes in???

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Kwun, please don't use something that is too expensive. We all know you are paying lots of effort and $$ for this site already. So, there is really no need to spend too much of money on prizes.

I say, a gift card (Say, BestBuy $20 ....etc), the BC T-Shirt, or even a pack of strings is already good enough. You really don't need to spend a hundred of something on free rackets (even the Cab20 will cost you over $100; The racket price+shipping to your door first + shipping to the winner's door>$100)

The bottomline is, we will all have fun in this contest :) and I think that's the most important thing! :)