China's domination

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by alzgodemort, Jun 25, 2004.

1. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    Do you think that te chinese domination going on presently will continue over the years?

Mostly in men's single and women double and single, china is THE nation ...

I hope Denmark, malaysia, Indonesia, korea will soon get some new good players (younger).

2. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    What do you mean?

For MS, Indonesia has Sony DK and Taufik H. Malaysia has Hafiz and Lee CW. Korea has Jang SY and Park SH. Only Denmark seems to be in trouble in this discipline.

For WS, everyone is coming up short except for Korea, which has Jun JH. But then Li YB expressed publicly his worries for China's WS dominance after Zhang N, Gong RN and Zhou M retire.

For WD, somehow only the Korean girls ever come close...

3. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    China are obviously dominant and i think they will be very dominant in the MS event. They have always had the most talented players. Maybe not the best but definetely and good standard. Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Taufik are'nt dominant. They haven't beaten the top chinese this year and I cant ever see them beating them in major tournaments. The best chance to defeat the Chinese is the Malaysians,especially Wong Choong Hann, and the Danish, like Jonassen and Gade. They have the right game to beat the Chinese. The indo's won't beat the chinese regulary. The chinese win most events at the tournaments and mainly MS. That is dominance. They are obviously dominant in WS and WD and could be with Cai/Fu in the doubles for a few years.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Zhang N is 29, Zhou M is 25, they might quit after Olympics. Gong RN and Xie are just 23 or below, unless there's serious injuries, I think they still can be on the top for another 2-3 yrs, at least. If they can stay healthy, they should even be able to participate in 2008 Olympics.

Compare to the male teammates, CHN is kinda lack of top prospects in their women junior team (19-21 group). However, coaches did said they saw bright future in their 16-17 group, after the national junior competition. Given them another 2-3 yrs, they will polish their games and will be the next star. In the mean while, other nations do NOT have bright rising star (besides, KOR's Jun, who's 21???) anyway. I am sure Gong, Xie, Zhou and possible Zhang (if she can delay retirement) can still toy her around, while waiting for their young sisters to grow up.

5. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    "China are obviously dominant and i think they will be very dominant in the MS event. They have always had the most talented players. " I don't really think it is talent as much as it is hard-work and extreme dedication. They live badminton. They were raised with a sole purpose to excel at the sport. Unlike other countries where you pick it up, play a few days a week, go to school, get a job, play a little more. These guys wake up, eat, play, eat, play, play, eat sleep, maybe play in sleep. oh, replace play with train. I wonder if they are actually enjoying it, because seriously living badminton 24/7 might have become a chore for them now. Nonetheless, better than goin to school and listen to some teacher that can't speak English teach.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Overseas badminton players getting stronger says China's Lin Dan
    by Talek Harris
    Mon Dec 3, 2:54 AM ET

HONG KONG (AFP) - China's blanket dominance of world badminton appears to be slipping with several countries chasing them for honours at next year's Beijing Olympics.

The military-style Chinese team, ruled with an iron fist by head coach Li Yongbo, won three of the five titles at this weekend's Hong Kong Open.

Only a year earlier, however, Chinese players swept all five categories at the same tournament.

"The standard of the overseas players is getting closer and closer," admitted men's champion Lin Dan, who was taken to three games by Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei in the final.

"Before, China dominated. But I think the fans want to see this kind of close matches, so it's good for the sport."

China took four Olympic titles in 2000 and three in 2004. Next year, they face a serious challenge from both Malaysia and a resurgent Indonesia, which won two of the doubles events here.

It's a subject which already has domestic media fretting, with the China Daily highlighting the worst performance in 14 years at last month's China Open, where home players won only two titles.

"China's domination in badminton has suddenly been called into question," the article said.

Lin's extended stint at number one now appears under threat from Malaysia's Lee, who was hampered by a left knee injury and some disputed line calls in Sunday's final.

Lee has won two of his four matches against Lin this year, giving him hope for the Olympics.

"South Korea, Indonesia, Malaysia and Denmark are all very strong," Lee said.

"Anybody has a good chance. It's a big tournament and there's a lot of pressure. China will have a lot of challengers."

Fellow Malaysian Wong Mew Choo beat three of the top four -- all Chinese -- to win the China Open women's singles, while South Korea's Jun Jae-Youn stunned Olympic champion Zhang Ning here.

European women are making inroads, with France's Pi Hongyan currently ranked fifth and Tine Rasmussen also closing the gap.

China are now outsiders in men's doubles, with second-ranked Fu Haifeng and Cu Yai the only Chinese team in the top five.

According to various coaches, the turnaround is largely due to the 21-point system where players can score off every rally, not just on their own serve.

"In the Olympics, we'll hope to put China in danger, maybe in all events, even if it will be difficult in the women's events," said Indonesian coach Hendrawan.

"But Tine Rasmussen, Wong Mew Choo and others have shown they could beat the top Chinese, who will have extra pressure on home soil in Beijing."

China will look to come back strongly next year, with coach Li announcing a boycott of the planned Masters Final as his players undergo a month-long training session.

7. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

China's dominance in badminton may or may not continue, depending on how other countries developing their programs. It's reasonable to expect Chinese team to do well. With the country's resources and vast population, China has the advantage there. It is obvious, so I would try not to devour on China's dominance, instead focusing on how each player performs in matches.

BTW: China owes her today's badminton success to coaches and players originated from other parts of the world. When I got into middle school, there was a very decent coach and a team training hard on badminton. He was from Singapore or somewhere. I did not see any other sports at that time, like soccer or basketball. That's why Chinese are good at badminton now.

8. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Judging from the improvements on the CHINA's junior these days,i don't think the domination will end just by time.Other countries must work extra hard on the young players,not just counting on their current players to break them..Bring the womens up,n prepare them to the war..just like china did.=)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Chinese badminton domination bad for the game, says coach
    Fri May 16, 12:54 AM ET

China's domination of world badminton is bad for the sport and tougher competition from other countries is welcome, Chinese national coach Li Yongbo says.

China has not been beaten at the women's Uber Cup team championships taking place here in 10 years, while their men are aiming for a third straight Thomas Cup title.

The top 10 of the world rankings are dominated by Chinese players and they are hot favourites to sweep the Olympic gold medals on home turf in Beijing in August.

Li is determined that China continues its winning ways but said it was encouraging that rival nations have started to improve and offer stiffer resistance.

"It is clear, and we should be happy, that the level of badminton is rising all across the world, which is good for the development of the sport. It makes the sport more entertaining for the spectators," he said.

"I feel that it is meaningless for China to keep winning 3-0 or 5-0. I look forward to more competition from other countries and my job is just to ensure that China wins."

Countries that have exceeded expectations at Uber Cup here include Germany, Malaysia, and the Netherlands, which narrowly lost to China 3-2 in the quarter-finals.

Among the men, South Korea has proved that it is now a power to be reckoned with having reached the semi-finals.

Their team includes Park Sung-Hwan, who won the Asian Championships last month, and Lee Hyun-Il who took the Korean Open title.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I think it will do badminton a lot of good if Korea were to win the Thomas Cup. Korea now has a balanced singles and doubles lineup, more so than China. If Korea were to win, I predict that badminton in Korea will take off in big way. They may even keep the Cup for a few challenge years.

11. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Hafiz? That fellow is a joker:D:D:D