my tisp sx feels like a dead frog.....

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by charzord, Jun 26, 2004.

1. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    argh.........so anooying. Yesterday, i tried out my new tisp sx. I had high expecntations, but was thoroughly dissapointed when on the first hit, all i felt was alot of vibration and absolutely no power. I thought it was a mishit, but after two hours of play, I still couldnt get any power out of it!!! i lent ti to my friend, and he couldnt get any power out of it eaither. In fact, it felt like i was usign a dead piece of wood to hit the birdie. Well, the racket is strung with bg66 at a tension of around 20-21 lbs. Anyone have any ideas what i should do? should i just keep playing with it and maybe it'll get better, or should i jsut cut the string and replace it. If i do cut the strings, what strigns should i replace it with, and at what tension? im pretty its not my stroke's probelm, since i am able to produce a nice clean smash with any other rackets....:confused:

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Have you used BG-66 and at the tension you described before?

If you have, I guess you will have to work on your swings or get used to Isometric rackets. Sometimes you need some time to get the feelings right on a new racquet, especially you have only used for 1 day, still has lots of room to go.

If No, then I say you will have to get used to the strings(or may have to replace them if you really don't like it) and work on the feelings of the ISO-TIS-SX.

Let us know in like a week or two. :)

3. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    New racket, needs time to get used to. Need to develop better technique. Higher racket head speed needed for more "advanced" (only word i can think of) racket in order to get a decent hit. Sweetspot also different.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Isn't TI-SP SX the stiffest racquet among TI-SP series? Replacing your strings might not work if you're not used to stiff racquets. Best thing to do is review your swing technique (work at your timing), change it if necessary and persist with the racquet.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    keep playing with it. TiSP SX is a heavy and stiff racket though. not everybody neccessarily have the right strength to take advantage of the racket.

i usually keep the heavy and stiff racket for the good days.

6. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    oaky okay, ill give the racket more time, prolly around 1 or 2 more weeks. Actually, my arms a little sore from the stiffness of the racket! My old victor racket was a flexyish racket, so it have very little vibrations. Neways, ill be sure to tell you guys how im doing later this week! Let's hope i dont have to trash the strings :D

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Agree with Kwun, as SX is head heavy and stiff.

Since u jump from a very flex racket to one of the most stiff in 1 step, it takes time, extra time to get used to do. Don't push too hard or get frustrated, take some time, 1 step at a time, and u will have better "understanding" of SX later on. ;)

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    From what you describe, especially that bit about vibrations, I think the racquet is not suitable for your style of play. You should get a more flexible racquet, because a stiff and high torque racquet will cause vibrations. Try a softer string like BG85 and string at a low 19-20lb tension to increase dwell time, and see if it works. If it doesn't, then trade it in for another more suitable racquet.

9. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    oh, Ive got one of these TiSPsx too~ they are good rackets when u play singles and their smashes are equally as or even faster than that of my 2U MP90 JP, using it in doubles is abit of a trouble tho.. since the shape of the cone is very slippy (very edgy..) so you need a really strong fingers (thumb esp..) to hold on to it when performing backhands..

afterall, they arent bad as said~ but their stiffness n heavy weight 2U takes time 2 adjust in my opinion... for rackets similar to TiSPsx, I suggest playing with the pinky grip, that would save you plenty of energies~ and lowering tension would may help if you are used to flexible rackets.

just my 2 cents worth

#9 manabu, Jun 27, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I think you should have gone for one of the more flexable models in the SPTi range, I had the most flexable one and it was fine giving no vibrations and good power levels.

I also find stiff rackets difficult to use, the MP100 and Carlton ASTi nearly drove me to tears.

Just out of curiosity have you tried playing badminton using a dead frog?

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Damn Dill, I was about to ask that too:D!!!

12. sillybiscuit03

sillybiscuit03 Regular Member

The lack of power and feel from your new racket is most likely due to the combination of lack of strength in your arm and the high tension of the strings. I have an ISO900-sx myself. I used to use it when I was also working out/weight training. It was abosultely one of the most powerful rackets ever. But even then I felt some pain in the arms after too many smashes. I would suggest you restring at 18-20lb to give it another try. I have used both BG80 and BG70Pro with it. BG80 gives great feel but is not durable, BG70Pro suits me better since it can really last for while.

If this doesn't work out, a racket with a medium-flex shaft may suit you better. Alternatively, head to the gym and pump some irons...

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I would assume you hold the leg but where is the sweet spot? Is it in the belly? Might stink out your bag after a while

I would think it would be marketed under super flexable :eek:

14. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    actually, im thinkign we could inflate the belly and hold on to it's legs and just try to hit the birdie by swinging it liek a mace!! Of course, we would have an "inflating machine" that can measure how much lb's you want :p

15. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    And when you make contact with the shuttle, is the sound more of a "RRRIBBIT" sound, more or less?

-dave

16. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    After contact with the shuttle and you no sound came out, you should BBQ the frog :D

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe SX only has 3U... ;)

18. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    SX is 87 grams, not 2U, it's more like a 3U.

19. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    bluejeff and Lazy Buddy, mine is a TH 1st (blue) version of Sx .Ive just taken the grip off but therez no mention of whether itz a 2U or 3U. "Sx; G4.5; 16-20lbs; 7-9kg" are whatz on the cone.

But weight wise, it really felt like a 2U. Thanks for pointing that out~

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    You should try holding a ISO900 SX, it's even more head heavier than TiSP SX, the iso900 sx feel more like a U but of of course both tisp and iso900 sx are 3U.