A tube of used shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by prophet, Jun 27, 2004.

1. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    Just wondering, if is it just me who does this. :D

I carry a tube of brand new (feather) shuttles and a tube of used semi-good condition (feather) shuttles with me everytime I play. The used shuttles are for warm-up - basically clears and the such. Then we use the new shuttles as soon as we start playing matches. As soon as the new shuttle gets a little worn out, it gets moved to the used pile for the next time we play.

Does anyone else save money by doing this, or am I the only cheapo? :rolleyes:

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The people at the club I play do the same thing, at the start of the night they use a part worn from a seperate tube and knock it about, the problem comes when they change to a new one since they tend to fly out the back of the court at the beginning of games

Personally I use new all the time, once a shuttle gets part worn it is of no use to anyone and the speed and flight change so I always discard them after hard rallies or games.

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I do that, saves cost. I mean just for routine drills and warmups, used shuttles are the bomb :p:p. Well you are not a cheapo, you just have common sense!! :D:D. I mean like if you and your mates were to go and discard them it'll be a waste of $$$. Good job on saving the $$$ and making use of what you have!!

New shuttles are always reserved for games.

Cheers

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Not cheap at all. It's a sensible thing to do that, since good feather shuttles are pretty pricy in North America. I use the worn out birdies for warmup, practice and drills. New ones are for games only.

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    All the time. I have at least one tube of used shuttles but in flying condition in my bag and at least two tubes of new shuttles. The used ones are always used for warming up and sparring.

You'll really value those shuttles when you are practicing those short serves by yourself on the court while waiting for others; it's no fun going back and forth under the net! :)

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    For instances like that I have a plastic box of 300 or so shuttles that I use for coaching, as Wilfred points out it's a pain going from one side to the other under the net :(

7. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

That's what I do when I run the Collingwood session. At the end of every session, I go through all the spent shuttles sorting out the best and save 2 doz for the next session.

It is not being cheap, it's being practical, otherwise I would go through another 2 tubes just for warming up! (I don't think the players want to pay more!?)

Cheers!

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I find that by steaming then unruffling these partially worn birds, flight quality and bird toughness can be improved significantly.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I tend to save up some shuttles as well. Sometimes, u can find hardly used shuttles laying around, what a waste... ;)

10. tir168

tir168 Regular Member

Uni Student
    same here

I do the same thing here. Sometimes, some players discard quite good shuttles. Don't know why. some just had a small feather loose or some had a feather missing..i find those shuttles good for warm-ups or just for "fun" playing.

11. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Hi Prophet, you are not the only one who's doing it. I'm doing the same thing here at home. After a few hours of playing badminton i will go around the court and start looking for some good recycle shuttles. These recycle shuttles some times are still in good condition. These shuttle normaly are for warming up or practising drill before we start playing badminton. With these we still can save a few dollars rather than buying a new shuttle and start using it for practice and also games.
    :cool: :cool:

12. jester

jester Regular Member

Used shuttles are the way to go

It's the most practical thing to recycle serviceable shuttles....

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i do the same too. i always have two tubes in my bag like you.

i don't think it is a cheapo thing to do. i hate to have a brand new shuttle destroyed during warm up. and the used ones left on the court side are always so worn out.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Our national teams use old shuttles for drills and new ones for match plays. :D

I always use old shuttles for warming up as accuracy is not important. It is true that there is a flight difference between the old and the new shuttles but we'll soon be able to adapt. :)

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I do that , too. However, I will usually keep about 2 of the used ones for the next session.

I don't put them into a separate tube, but put them in the same tube (I will re-arrange the orders of shuttles at home), in order to minimize the space in the bag.:)

16. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I do that as well - keep 2 or 3 of the better shuttles from current session and then put them at front of tube for next session as warm up stroke drills etc...

I find using old shuttles for warm up is good as other than saving $$$ you actually improve timing - flight of old birds are erratic and better yet, makes the new shuttle feel really really good!

17. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    i think saving used shuttles would be the rule rather than the exception, as good quality feather birds cost approximately 1USD a pop.

Whacking around a brand new bird for warmups makes me feel bad... thats why i try to make a point to have a tube of usable birds in my bag, and then scrounge around for usable birds before i go home.