Can I Be A Champion???

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hardik18, Jun 27, 2004.

1. hardik18

hardik18 Regular Member

Student
    Hey friends well let me give you my basic info,
    Well actually I am 19 yr old from India, well I played state level tournaments twice when I was 12-14 yrs old I was under 12 and under 14 district champ well then I left the game for about 2-3 years and also started smoking for about 3 month or so which had reduced my stamina.
    Now again I had started playing badminton and am playing regularly, I am also not smoking now. Well but my stamina is not very good, I can jog not more than 4-5 kms and in the court I can play constantly for not more than 1 1/2 hr. Well now I think I should take this game serioulsy (as still now i use to paly just for time pass and never took it seriously) and so I doubt that weather at this age will I be able to develop my game as a professional or not as my technique is not very good but as I play since so long and god knows how I just manage to somehow play well.
    I mean yes my game is good but is not like a perfect with proper technique, well so please friends please take your time and give me your sugession that what you think, that can I improve my game and be a professional player at this age or should I stop thinking about it, and if you think that I can do it then please also tell me that how should I start, what practice should I do, how much hould I jog, every strategy you think that I should use.
    Hope to get replies from you soon friends,
    Hardik

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    When you say professional player, what do you mean?

1. Make a living playing badminton, from the prize monies
    2. Playing competitively? And if so, what level?
    3. Etc.

-dave

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I don't know how good you are, so I would suggest you to find a coach, preferably the national coach if you want to be like a pro.

Even if you make it or not in the future, you should not smoke. Smoking is not good for your health in any single way.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    we need more information.

you competed in state level tournament, how did you do? did you win?

what do you want to achieve by being a "professional"?

there are many who posted in the forum, they are in the same situation as you, usually they are in their mid to late teens, and have played badminton for a while. probably ended up in the intermediate or advanced level in the recreational scale.

and then they wonder if they can make it to be a professional, and what they need to do.

sometimes i wonder what the answer would be. while there are some who can make it, they are the 1% of all who tried.

i am afraid when it comes to whether one can make a professional player, if you are in your late teens and you need to ask that question, then you probably won't make it.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, how good you are? How do you compare yourself to the National players. Have you seen them in action.? They are pretty good and improving all the time.

At 19, you've got to work very hard on your fitness and skills. Get yourself enrolled in a good badminton academy. Have you heard of your country's legendary All-England Champion, Prakash Padukone, who is trying to promote badminton in your country? He runs an academy and is the man to get in touch with and he will be able to tell you whether you are good enough and how passionate you are in your desire to become a professional player.

It is not easy and demands a great deal of sacrifice and hard work, especially from someone like you who has dropped out of the scene for sometime now. Good Luck! :p

6. Kitty

Kitty Regular Member

Hello Hardik18, seems like you're unsure of yourself?! I believe attitude is really important to become a pro, believing in yourself is first step to succeed??!! :) Good luck!

7. hardik18

hardik18 Regular Member

Student
    well here is wht i have to say

well for my game i can say i am better then a intermidiate player, just that my techniques are not proper with bad foot work and less stamina, well what i think of being a pro player is that i want to just play the game seriously and reach a competitive level as if a national top 20 player or so.:cool: .

8. hardik18

hardik18 Regular Member

Student
    here is the report

well at state leve in under 12 and under 14 tournaments i lost in semis and quaters, and right now i can say that my game is like a under 16 semifinalist or so and i am gonna turn 20 in october so you can say that at 20 my game is like a under 16 semifinalist, wel i am able to play well during game as i play since so long but in true sence i know that neither my foot work is correct nor my techniques and i am not having good stamina. well can you please give me all the tips you can suggest to improve these things. please describe your points in details. thnaks.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Perhaps you should get a coach who can train you and groom you into a competitive player. You can't fight it out alone. Even with all our tips, we can't be of substantial assistance comparing to a real professional coach. At almost 20, you got a late start as some of the best players started out as early as 6 years old.

Do as Loh suggested, try to contact Prakash Padukone or his academy and get hold of a recommended coach in your state. Have him/her evaluate your chances of making the nationals. If the odds are too great, then I guess some desires are just meant to be dreams:(. Good Luck!