What Steps should I Adopt

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hardik18, Jun 29, 2004.

1. hardik18

hardik18 Regular Member

Student
    well i am 20 years old with a good game of badminton, well i want to improve my game as much as possible as i know that i am late but still i dont wanna loose hope and wanna give it a try as i was a state runners up in under 12 and under 14 tournament. well so friends can you please suggest me some steps that you think i should adopt to improve my game. please be as descriptive as possible. I am looking out for replies like
    1. On mondays 2 hurs jog, and stretching practice.
    2. On tuesday drop practice,
    3. on wednesday tossing practice + sprinting
    4. And so on................
    I want such type of perfect schedule to improve my game perfectly. You can say that my game is currently good, i have good power as i can hit real deadly smashes, my backhnd is very weak, my footwork is not very well, and my stamina is below average.

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Wow, I never realised tossing was good training for badminton :eek: No wonder I'm such a great player :D

Anyway, there is no perfect training regime. General advice: increase your exercise levels gradually to reduce the chance of injury and to improve your chances of actually sticking with the regime. Consider consulting a coach for a personal training plan.

Circuit training is an excellent way to start improving general fitness and strength. This can be done daily, and it doesn't take much time.

Do not begin heavy weight training without appropriate guidance. As with all forms of exercise, weight training should be built up gradually.

3. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    I am not sure what hardik is referring to, but the Indian players in our club call a 'clear' a 'toss'.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Please ignore Gollum's first sentence.

For your reference, top players in HK train 6 days a week. On alternate days, they do half day training.

On full day training, they train for about 3 hours in the morning, have a lunch break and rest period lasting about 3 hours, then train for another 3 hours.

The junior squad train 3 days a week for about 3 hours. They will play other times as well. These guys have had coaching since early teens or younger.

There are dedicated team coaches so if you are really serious about improving, you have to find a coach who knows his stuff. Then you'll have to spend a lot of time with him. There are no quick fixes to improving in badminton unless your are supremely talented that allows you a very fast learning curve.

#4 Cheung, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

you could also refer to

Jake Downey's books. www.badmintonbooks.com
    "Winning Badminton Doubles" and "Get Fit for Badminton" are currently available as free download.
    "Excelling at Badimnton" is a good book.

somewhere on the BAofE site www.baofe.co.uk
    there was a document called "Fitness Training in Badminton"

somewhere on this site (or badmintoncentral) are various articles
    e.g. those by Tan Aik Huang

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I inquired about the articles by Tan Aik Huang before, but it seems to have been pulled out after Kwun switched over to the new software:(. Perhaps copyright issue was a factor in that decision.

7. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Hehe I am not too good at badminton skills myself in terms of footwork and strokes.. But one thing I know, in order to improve all these badminton skills, you have to push your body to the max!! Try going gym on odd days to do some weights training for an hour (ask an experienced friend to help you with this and train all part of body!! not just your arms and legs)... and on even days do like 40minutes of hardout cardio... I mean HARDOUT cardio! For example I SPRINT for 20 minutes (not jog)... then single skip 500 times (approximately 10 minutes) and then 10 minutes some other intense cardio excercise... But if you have time unlike me... you can do this routine twice in the even days haha~ And this will definatly improve your stamina on court...
    At least I know I lose all my match due to poor stroking skills and footwork, and not because of tiredness. Well guess I have to play more to gain more experience on court
    Anyway, make sure you get plenty of rest and not to injure yourself.. thats the first priority! not to overtrain~ Good luck

8. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

I tried reading some of that .. those are really boring

i mean waht is the the deal :0 .. it was like reading the vulcan book of logic - adapted for badminton :D

[​IMG]