Footwork: Which way is better

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BethuneGuy, Jun 29, 2004.

1. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    I just recently took a class, and had my footwork re-evaluated. I used to do a chasse step or the skippy thingy to the net, but the coach tells me that it's bad, and should use the right-left-right (lunge) method because it's faster. I am a little confused now, sometimes i would have to consciously think about my movement and that would screw me up. Another thing, when in the middle of the rally, do you have your racket foot infront of you, or your non-racket foot, i find that i can cover the back court better, (bigger first step) if i have my racket foot infront. (right-left-right jump hit). I'm working on brain washing myself and the skippy chasse step method, and concentrating on the rightleftright thing. I find that its easier on the knees. (they're in great pain, after the ankle injuries from basketball (hate that sport now, gets me injured every other month) and the kinetics are messed).

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hmmm... there's different kinds of footwork. Some are more suitable for doubles than singles. In doubles, I would to do the left-right-left lunge (I'm a liftie, btw:D). But for backing up, I would do chasse or hop. Side by side, it'll depends on whether I have time and distance on my side. No time = one big step lunge.

3. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

most people stand with their racket foot infront by a bit, but it comes down to the situation. If you watch international players play, they almost always return to base with their non racket foot leading and squaring off with their non racket foot IF they play a forehand clear or dropshot.

I know both footwork and use both footwork. Right left right is the normal that I'd use. But sometimes when I can't reach the shuttle, I quickly do the chasse to get extra reach. Its like, I do the right left right but found out last minute that I can't reach the shuttle yet, so i bend down my body and do the the chasse to take the shuttle low and clear it up high. Very useful when your opponent has a dropshot that is well covered to look like a clear.

4. confuzzledfreak

confuzzledfreak Regular Member

Student
    ai, I have to brainwash myself from doing the big step lunge everytime i go for a net shot :(
    what's meant by a chasse step?!

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Chasse steps... think crap like movement... except faster:D Basically when you move, you face one side the whole time while your feet don't overlap one another. Basically, you're moving sideways.

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Excuse me cappy75 - "crap" like movement? is that literal - like you're doing a number 2? and yes, normally i really try to keep the feet from overlapping when doing this movement.

7. michaely

michaely Regular Member

hahahaha~
    I think he means "crab"-like movement :D

8. BethuneGuy

BethuneGuy Regular Member

Student
    lol... crap like movement... that's kinda like my chasse step. do you think chasse is better moving back or is right left right better moving back? I have to choose one and decide. lets say this is singles. Btw, which foot do you land on after you hit if you have alot of time, one coach tells me to prepare right foot back and jump and hit landing on left and push off (left infront). But i watch everyone play, and 90 percent jump, and land left foot behind them and push off.

9. firehorse

firehorse Regular Member

Comp. Engr
    I just took this foot work class with one (actually the only one for PANAMERICA currently) of the IBF trainer. He recommend the "crab" movement for faster reach to the front. However, he also mention, it depend on individual. Use the one that is faster for you. Both footwork types are correct.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yikes! My bad... crab-like movement:eek:. I think crap-like would be far too slow... not to mention inefficient:D!

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Yeah, it really depends on the individual... some find it easier to chasse to the front. For me, I prefer left-right-left forward and chasse to the back... that way, it'll be easier for my racquet foot to anchor or push off the first step for an overhead shot regardless of how late I get to the shuttle.